Robbed!!

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I left the house for a few hours on Tuesday afternoon, return home to find that my house was broken into. My laptop, PS3, some games and dvds gone. Also stole my sledding pack with my shovel, probe and beacon in it. Cops are on the look-out, not getting my hopes up for that one. Talked to the insurance company, will be filing a claim today. Not sure how this is gonna work for my hockey cards,, but there was some that will be tough to replace and I didn't have a list of them all. Just want to remind everyone to make sure and document your possesions and make sure and write down the serial #'s for your electronics. Didn't have my deadbolt locked, but the way they smashed in the door, it would not have mattered. Just hoping someone will try and sell me a cheap laptop or PS3 in the next few days. They will be going for a ride to bear country.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
So sorry to hear about your bad luck having just had my cabin broken into.
Your right about having the serial numbers, I know better and haven't done it either.
One of the best things you can do is video tape the content of your place and then put the tape in a safety deposit box or somewhee outside the house...good advise, guess I had better follow it soon.
Best of luck on the insurance, it's never good.

flatlandguy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss.:mad: I agree with Sledbunny, a video works good or still pics on a digital memory card. What way you have proof that you actually had that item. Most insurance co.'s will look at you like you're a liar if you tell them you had some valuable rookie card without some kind of proof. A picture of it in your album or display case makes it a lot easier.

Good luck:D

Last edited:

GRD

Reaction score
Thats sucks!!! Chances are fairly low that you will get any of it back... Would have been nice to catch them in action!

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a sad society when low life's need to wreck your property and steel your stuff to fuel their crack habit (I'm guessing), but who is buying this stuff? It's even a sadder society when people who have money are buying this stuff and not turning the crooks in.

I think I'm going to look into a video camera system that records to the internet with motion detectors. If they steel your computer you still have the recording to retrieve. The thing I have to ask myself is: If I had good identification of the robbers, would I turn them into the police or look them up myself...hmmmmm

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a sad society when low life's need to wreck your property and steel your stuff to fuel their crack habit (I'm guessing), but who is buying this stuff? It's even a sadder society when people who have money are buying this stuff and not turning the crooks in.

I think I'm going to look into a video camera system that records to the internet with motion detectors. If they steel your computer you still have the recording to retrieve. The thing I have to ask myself is: If I had good identification of the robbers, would I turn them into the police or look them up myself...hmmmmm

I think that I will also look into something like that. Webcams can be had pretty cheap, would be worth it to put some up and have some record of who is hanging around and inside the house and garage. Also thinking of looking into an alarm system. Or maybe just buy an acreage like I always wanted.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the local pawnshops. Bets are that will be where the thieves will try to pawn off the games, PS3 and dvds for their next bootle of Triple X and meth. Laptop and hockey cards well they may be head for Edmonton with those.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all the red tape and political crap now a days the cops are friggin useless. HMMMM by the way are there any cops whom are members on this site before i rant on tooo much?

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is definately a shame that they are tied up by all the red tape. At the same time there needs to be checks and balances in the legal system to protect everyone from the police abusing their power. Otherwise they could show up and search your house for no reason.

700WFO

Reaction score
Keeping a digital picture file of everything is a great way to start, web cams work real well, they can sense motion by changes in pixalation and automaticaly start and stop recording. Buying a cheap laptop and wireless cameras, you can hide the laptop in a secure place and nail the bastards with positive ID. Personally I'd rather weld up a steel cofin and deal with the matter myself! Ice fishing?

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go easy on the cops guys. I totally believe they would do us a good service if our justice system would put these creeps in jail where they belong. I can't imagine being a cop and trying to protect the innocent when it just does no good to risk your life catching the dorks and watching the judges let them go. It's the stupid Liberal government of past that need to be flogged. The conservatives are trying to pass a criminal bill through, but the Liberals and NDP keep opposing it. I just don't get why they are in love with criminals.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
It's the stupid Liberal government of past that need to be flogged. The conservatives are trying to pass a criminal bill through, but the Liberals and NDP keep opposing it. I just don't get why they are in love with criminals.

I THINK IT STARTED WITH THE BIGGEST CROOKS OF THEM ALL.... THE LIBERAL PRIMEMINISTERS, THAT WERE ALL LAWYERS...... TRUDEAU, MULRONEY, AND THE LAST GUY(RICHEST, MOST CROOKED ONE OF THEM ALL)..... WHAT'S HIS NAME?? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to be hard on the cops, its the justice system for sure. I know the cops are just as frustrated as the rest of us, maybe more so, than the rest of us.

steveo

Reaction score
Keeping a digital picture file of everything is a great way to start, web cams work real well, they can sense motion by changes in pixalation and automaticaly start and stop recording. Buying a cheap laptop and wireless cameras, you can hide the laptop in a secure place and nail the bastards with positive ID. Personally I'd rather weld up a steel cofin and deal with the matter myself! Ice fishing?

Don't let pictures fool you cause if you don't have the right coverage your not going to get a fair value...........trust me on this !!!!!!!!insurance companies are as bad as the guys that steal from your house..... only diff bad guys break in and the insurance send you a bill once a year and never want to pay out what things are worth !!:rant: thats my 2 cents

700WFO

Reaction score
As I stated, pictures are a good "START", all insurance companies state the limits in any given policy, tools for example have very low limits of coverage, it's up to the consumer to determine if it's enough, or to purchase an additional ryder for a larger amount of coverage.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I come home from the Jamboree in Caroline today, unload my sled and as I'm hauling my luggage up the back steps, I notice my back door is ajar. upon further inspection it becomes obvious that the door knob has been pounded off. I go around to the front, expecting the worst but nothing is gone, looks like they got scared off before they actually came in the house. Lucky thing because my laptop is on the kitchen table right inside the door that was jimmied. They also ripped a screen off a basement window trying to break in there. All it'll cost me is a doorknob...this time. And maybe a new, better back door

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure would of ruined a good weekend. Last thing you want to see when you get home. Youre lucky better go buy a lotto ticket

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the plus side I had a good time at the Jamboree. Ended up riding a few extra miles(30) because of a minor navigational error but what the heck, we finished in one piece......:D:D:D:D:D. Won a shirt and some other stuff too.

Top Bottom