Robbed of Power

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted this on Doo Talk and Snowest forums aswell So I bought a new 09 xp154 last year and it ran fine for about two trips then while in chappel after a huge dump of fresh the thing was bogging on hills. First I thought it was fowlled plugs but that wasnt the case, intake plugged, not the case, and the clutching was fine as far as I could see. It would run fine except while trying to pull a hill, it would bog and wouldnt let me make the climb, had to run the lake for a while then it worked fine except when I tried to pull a hill, same thing. Im leaning towards the overheat issue when the ecu retards the timing. Has anyone else had this isssue? The dealer tested the dpm etc and found no codes and everything to be working fine but that's at the dealer not on the hill. They want to send me to the hills with a new ecu and dpm to try if I have the same issues. HELP.

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all of the dealers should be able to get them, there is a few companies that make them, i know specialty sleds in edmonton had them at the end of last winter, engine-tech.com also has them, i havent tryed it yet but a couple guys i know have them in there sleds and they say it makes a huge difference after a couple pulls and the sled also runs way cooler.
the skidoo ecm starts to retard the timing when it senses the coolant temp is getting hot and the stock thermostats dont open quick enough to stop the power loss.

it sounds like your thermostat is bad, from what 've read in other threads.
you may want to look into one - Oilboy is refering to a new billet thermostat that some sled mod shops carry

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it sounds like your thermostat is bad, from what 've read in other threads.
you may want to look into one - Oilboy is refering to a new billet thermostat that some sled mod shops carry

I was looking at getting the engine tech billet housing thing but i'm still under warranty and that will void it plus I want to make sure thats the problem instead of spending another $200 and find I still have the problem

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not sure but almost sounds like a carb issue to me? just thinking about what changes when you hit a hill and i dont see how the cooling system would be effected in that quick of a time.

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This maybe be an almost too simple solution, but is the coolant valve used for heating your carbs open? that would fit the symptons( bogging atleast ) not perfectly but sometimes its the simplest things

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This maybe be an almost too simple solution, but is the coolant valve used for heating your carbs open? that would fit the symptons( bogging atleast ) not perfectly but sometimes its the simplest things

Dont think it made a difference if it was open or closed.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It can make a difference especially if it is a warm day. I tell people to keep them closed unless it's really cold out. I've actually deleted them on alot of sleds.

What I ment was I think I tried it with it open and closed and it still bogged.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend talking to jerry in the service department at martin farm in the westend.. he is extremely knowledgable and helpful..

Mayfly

Reaction score
Would it have something to do with the fuel tank or lose of suction when going up hill? I thought I read that somewhere on another site.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats weird, I've dealt with him lots and from time to time when i have something that is weird or i havn't seen before and is kinda puzzling me on one of the new doo's i call him and he's always gladly helped me out.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your secondary clutch is not backshifting properly under load.May be getting hot and binding or your spring is getting weak.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your secondary clutch is not backshifting properly under load.May be getting hot and binding or your spring is getting weak.

that sounds like a good explanation to me, take your clutches apart and do a re build and cleaning, they probably need it anyway

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doesnt sound good to me? why would it only not backshift while going uphill?

the clutch can not tell the differance. it works fine on a flat surface. there is a load differance but it starts as soon as he hits the hill

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
exactly, when when the sled starts climbing a hill the rpms go down because of the load differnce so the clutch need to back shift to gain those rpms back, and if it doesnt back shift it will just bog down

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didnt think so.

got a friend u can borrow a set of carbs from for a weekend just to narrow things down?

Dont be so sure yet.Clutches are super load sensitive.Back in the day when secondary clutches were spring tension adjustable,you could increase spring tension to prevent rpm loss under heavy loads.A weak secondary spring will definetly let the rpms drop when the load increases. And the load increases immediately when you commence climbing.:twocents:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont be so sure yet.Clutches are super load sensitive.Back in the day when secondary clutches were spring tension adjustable,you could increase spring tension to prevent rpm loss under heavy loads.A weak secondary spring will definitely let the rpms drop when the load increases. And the load increases immediately when you commence climbing.:twocents:

the only reason i say that is because he said its not clutching and im assuming hes already ruled that out with inspecting and replacing parts.

not to mention its a brand new machine.

also the fact that its an instantaneous bog not a progressive issue.

but poping off a panel and doing a pull and make sure the clutch is shifting during a climb would rule that out.

Top Bottom