Reviews on XM aftermarket clutching vs stock.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its about that time to pull clutches and clean them for the season. Thinking of installing a rooster built or DJ kit in? Worth the extra money or just simply stay with the BRP rebuild kit? Sled has approx 2800k

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im happy with the stock clutching, started to get soggy last year, but 5000 km, the springs are going to be sagged some

Same boat, do I just spring it and clean - service kit it

Or install d.j or rooster kit......

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ran mine with stock for 1000kms and with a rooster kit for 1000kms, I'm doing a 156 3" so my clutching will change once again but I will be going to a stock helix for my new combo. The rooster kit took a bit more to dial in then I thought it would, playing with top gears and pin weight. Lower belt temp and rpm did not fade during long pulls, great backshift and on off response in the trees, worth the $500..... If anyone wants a rooster RB1 helix with both springs and pinned ramps Pm me.
Doos rebuild kit is $120 plus 2 springs at $30 each. Did you feel the sled worked well it stock clutching? If yes run it, cheap easy and it works.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ran mine with stock for 1000kms and with a rooster kit for 1000kms, I'm doing a 156 3" so my clutching will change once again but I will be going to a stock helix for my new combo. The rooster kit took a bit more to dial in then I thought it would, playing with top gears and pin weight. Lower belt temp and rpm did not fade during long pulls, great backshift and on off response in the trees, worth the $500..... If anyone wants a rooster RB1 helix with both springs and pinned ramps Pm me.
Doos rebuild kit is $120 plus 2 springs at $30 each. Did you feel the sled worked well it stock clutching? If yes run it, cheap easy and it works.

It ran well, but def notice difference from the 14/15's pulling harder even with stock set up. Not really one to play or dial in clutching so might just go with the stock rebuild. However it be nice to have it backshift quicker and more responsive.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It ran well, but def notice difference from the 14/15's pulling harder even with stock set up. Not really one to play or dial in clutching so might just go with the stock rebuild. However it be nice to have it backshift quicker and more responsive.
Yes I agree and some hill hold back

But then that changes the rest of the setup to get that..

First sled ever to not have clutch work and bar risers, that says something

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you rebuild, toss a one tooth taller top gear in it, the e tecs love to be loaded up off the bottom, found the the taller gearing actually helped throttal response.
2.3-2.45 seemed to be a bit of a sweet spot for ours with stock clutching. Gears are cheap and your buddies can see them haha.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would depend on what u have for a xm, year and track size

Some are tall allready, some are not

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running 2015 - 174 - clutching on it seemed pretty good for stock clutching - only couple days of powder riding this year, but it worked well ! Decent backshift! The sled just works but its the 174 - 3 inch that makes the sled work so well !Still would like a little more engine braking - which the stock setup seems to lack ! Clutching has come along way on factory set ups !

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my 14 154 SP with a the stock 2.5", I tried both the ROoster and the DJ kit. The Rooster worked well up the hill. Here in the prairies, it felt like there was some left on the table in the helix.

I ended that year on a DJ kit and have been really happy with it. Tried a few other secondary springs from what Joey sent and couldn't find anything to give me a straighter shift. Happy enough I've done 3 other sleds with the DJ kit and all have been quite happy with it.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO I think it would be worth it to do a kit. both vendors you mentioned are worth it, and the kits just make the machine work better. The More efficient your clutched are running the more the hp makes it to the snow. I will say ive been on a stock and clutched machine and it is night and day difference

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its a question of spending close to the same money either way.....its a no brainer. No experience with DJs stuff but I know Roosterbuilt works awesome. With the exchange rate the way it is though I would probably go with DJ. Have heard nothing but good about him as well.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ with some,,

My '13 with a fresh rooster built against a bone stock '14, same sled, same weight for rider.

I was disappointed, I found zero gains. Multiple pulls up the same slope.

You pay a lot of $$ for a kit that uses stock ramps, so you are just paying for springs and weights, and a helix that I am finding isn't a hill of beans different in performance.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My '13 with a fresh rooster built against a bone stock '14, same sled, same weight for rider.

You pay a lot of $$ for a kit that uses stock ramps, so you are just paying for springs and weights, and a helix that I am finding isn't a hill of beans different in performance.

Have you compared a bone stock 13 to 14? That could be the difference too that your clutching is making up for. From what I have seen there is a noticable improvement year to year even though minimal changes are published.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you compared a bone stock 13 to 14? That could be the difference too that your clutching is making up for. From what I have seen there is a noticable improvement year to year even though minimal changes are published.
Yes the stock to stock 13-14 is way different

Just like the 14-15 is ( mind u for the 3 inch track)

14 have 90 % very good stock clutching, with the 10 % that u could change being a bit more backshift and engine braking

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I couldn't find much for difference in top end in either of the kits...makes sense with same helix and gearing. What I did find was a noticeable improvement in response. Backshift was significantly faster and made the machine more fun to ride. The Rooster Kit seemed to be setup for more of a heavier West Coast wet snow as between 5-6000rpm it wanted to upshift a little slower than the DJ kit. I could see a tiny advantage in that in the heavier snow. It's all in the springs though as both helixes measure pretty darn close.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I am getting at here is putting a DJ kit on my stock 2015 summit with only an MBRP trail can will make it perform even better?

Top Bottom