Rev running rough after being buried for 2 weeks. Any help?

framtam

Reaction score
The sled was ridden at least 20km to get pack to the parking lot, so it got plenty warm.. and the plugs were replaced..

So
-I ran a space heater aimed at the motor in my crappy garage for about 6 hours straight and covered the sled with a blanket to try and keep as much heat in as I could. I'm not sure how warm it got in there but it def. was well above 0.
-I checked the main ECM wire harness for moisture, it seemed dry, and had that gel stuff on it already (which i assume is to combat moisture getting in there in the first place)
-I put about 30L worth (half the little bottle) and 10L of fresh gas in to the tank which was 1/3 full.
-ran it with a bit of throttle (to keep it from stalling) to get it warmed up for a few minutes

Still running like garbage.......won't even hold idle.

I took a vid of it trying to run after I put the iso in and let it warm up for a few minutes to give an idea (usually backfires more than in the video)

-What's the float bowel?
-What other electrical connections should I check?
-Not too many places around here I can open it up, but maybe that might get it to smarten up??
-Crank out of Phase from being parked?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled was ridden at least 20km to get pack to the parking lot, so it got plenty warm.. and the plugs were replaced..

So
-I ran a space heater aimed at the motor in my crappy garage for about 6 hours straight and covered the sled with a blanket to try and keep as much heat in as I could. I'm not sure how warm it got in there but it def. was well above 0.
-I checked the main ECM wire harness for moisture, it seemed dry, and had that gel stuff on it already (which i assume is to combat moisture getting in there in the first place)
-I put about 30L worth (half the little bottle) and 10L of fresh gas in to the tank which was 1/3 full.
-ran it with a bit of throttle (to keep it from stalling) to get it warmed up for a few minutes

I took a vid of it trying to run after I put the iso in and let it warm up for a few minutes to give an idea (usually backfires more than in the video)

-What's the float bowel?
-Not too many places around here I can open it up, but maybe that might get it to smarten up??

so tell us why it sat for so long before it was recovered? did you do some motor work or something in the backcountry? If the motor went down or it sat in a creek for 2 weeks, there could be any number of issues for why its running poorly. Letting us know why it sat there for so long will help us help u diagnose the problem......

framtam

Reaction score
I hit something serious (big rock) that was buried, on a sketchy slope, near the end of the day, snapped the spindle in half and busted the ski off completely. Hit the killswitch as it sat on top of the snow facing uphill. Had to double out because it was getting dark and we were far out from the parking lot. Then weather and other factors prevented me from getting to it promptly. No motorwork in the backcountry, switched plugs, thats it.
so tell us why it sat for so long before it was recovered? did you do some motor work or something in the backcountry? If the motor went down or it sat in a creek for 2 weeks, there could be any number of issues for why its running poorly. Letting us know why it sat there for so long will help us help u diagnose the problem......

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So

-What's the float bowel?

Just forget about the crank being out of phase (and place LHF on your ignore list while you're at it). You've got moisture in the electrics and/or fuel system that needs addressed - keep plugging away in this direction and you'll get 'er.

Cheers,
TC

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drain fuel completely out of the tank and start fresh. Water sits on the bottom of the tank. Drain carbs buy removing plug on the bottom of the float bowl. You will have to remove the air box to get the carbs out. Make sure there is no water/ moisture in the vacuum/ pulse line to the fuel pump also. This is a 800r engine right not a etec

Last edited:

framtam

Reaction score
that would make sense.. I just checked, all springs are there, all connections look good..al bolts on the y pipe are there... even stuck my fingers up the can hole, hahah, nothin that looked out of place to me. its normal for the exhaust system to have a little give, for the tourque, right?
check all the exhaust system aswell. i hit something so hard once it dislodged my can, and some of the joints to the point where it ran like crap and wouldnt idle.

framtam

Reaction score
not an etec, '07 800xrs w/ about 3,000miles
Drain fuel completely out of the tank and start fresh. Water sits on the bottom of the tank. Drain carbs buy removing plug on the bottom of the float bowl. You will have to remove the air box to get the carbs out. Make sure there is no water/ moisture in the vacuum/ pulse line to the fuel pump also. This is a 800r engine right not a etec

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stopped reading when LHF started with the verbal diarrhea.
My wife's rev acted like this after a roll over. Turned out her hand guard pinched her grip wires and shorted out a fuse. The 20 amp on the frame above your air box on left side. I believe this fuse is connected to the RAVE valves.
It just happened again so I removed the hand guards.Worth checking, sorry if it's been suggested already.

Cheers

Last edited:

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just forget about the crank being out of phase (and place LHF on your ignore list while you're at it). You've got moisture in the electrics and/or fuel system that needs addressed - keep plugging away in this direction and you'll get 'er.

Cheers,
TC
I cant wait to hear what the problem was. A Ski-Doo dealer could not tell my buddy what the problem was and it was the exact same symptom. Im waiting.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So

-What's the float bowel?
Just ask Pistonbroke what is wrong if you can get him off the bottle long enuff.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the lights flicker even when you get the revs up?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't know about ski-doo's but do they have a throttle safety switch? I know my firecat switch was screwed and it wouldn't run worth a crap until i unplugged it.

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last year a friend and i rode on a five degree day in a white out and after it got cold it was very hard to start and when it did he had no lights or reverse. 2 days in a warm place and its all good now, and he had the ecm relocated as well.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hit something serious (big rock) that was buried, on a sketchy slope, near the end of the day, snapped the spindle in half and busted the ski off completely. Hit the killswitch as it sat on top of the snow facing uphill. Had to double out because it was getting dark and we were far out from the parking lot. Then weather and other factors prevented me from getting to it promptly. No motorwork in the backcountry, switched plugs, thats it.

Cool. as many have said then, most likely water in the electrics unless you hit something with your knee/leg when you hit the rock that might have broke on the steering column (as general suggested - maybe broken hand grip wire)?

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Maybe the voltage regulator on the mag side in front of the engine. That will cause lights and things to act goofy but if it is running crappy it has to be something directly related to the mag or coil. Chech the grounding on the coil. Also pull every conection and spray with contact cleaner then blow with air then dielectric grease all conections. Does it still go into reverse? I hit a rock 2 years ago in the spring and sled ran crappy and 2km from truck it piled up the crank. Chassis was bent pretty bad and impact had jarrd the crank and the pto bearing seized to the side of the case. Good luck.

Top Bottom