Rev 800 survives avalanche at cataract

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every time i ride in the mountains i think back to when my buddies and I first started riding and the things we used to do and places we went with zero knowledge of avalanches makes me realize how lucky we are to be alive.

Yup, I'm guilty too. :hmm:

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife & boys just had avy training with Zacs before Christmas & Lori played a video from an incident a few years back in area 51. The clip that my wife recognized from "Throttle Decisions" was from the lake looking up into that shoot. I saw a piece of green on the snow & dug out the green hood from Lefty's sled which was the first week of may 2004. I remember the overwelming feeling wondering if that sledder survived that avy judging the distance of the avy runout. Throttle Decisions is a excellent video to watch.
Thank you to anyone that has the education, background and/or experience to recognize the stupidity in this video. Fish, here are some helpful links for you reference:

Canadian Avalanche Center
Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

Throttle Decisions
http://vimeo.com/m/search?q=Throttle+decisions

An avalanche education provider
Soul Rides

if you want any information or help to better educate yourself please PM me

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
It is interesting reading the comments from people mentioning how lucky they are to be alive...I think the same thing all of the time. Back in the day we had no avalanche training, equipment, or knowledge. Then in 1997 it happened to me.
There were 4 of us in Gorman riding across a huge avalanche path and had no idea we were in danger. There were 2 guys in front of me and all I felt was the huge gush of wind and then the huge cloud of snow blew past me. I looked back and all I seen was avalanche debris and snow clouds. My buddy was right behind me and then he was gone.
Three of us were lucky that day, and it was the longest truck ride home I have ever had.

I know everyone is giving it to this guy...and deservedly so. In this day and age we have so much information available to us and we need to take it all in.
Like someone said, maybe this thread is a good learning experience for the newbies that do not have any seat time in the mountains and they need a wake up call. I encourage people to tell other people when they are putting themselves in danger. I know there are punks out there that will tell you to F off, but if any of us can make a difference and save one life, then it's worth it.
I had the most difficult wake up call you could get, and I don't wish that on anyone.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on you for manning up and making the effort to get some training and learn some avalanche awareness . There are many mistakes that you made but I am glad you are taking this seriously and are planning to learn from it.

X2^
I'm glad fish has the balls to take his beats and is still here. Everyone makes mistakes but it's rare nowadays that people own up for mistakes. It would have been way easier for him to delete his account and never come back to this site, instead he choose to learn and ride smarter next time.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fish has my respect, as far as the mountains go in my opinion, if your in them you already made a mistake. Avalanches this time a year are just meat grinders.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fish has my respect, as far as the mountains go in my opinion, if your in them you already made a mistake. Avalanches this time a year are just meat grinders.

Choose appropriate riding areas and watch the late day slopes, read the avy bulletins, limit your exposure, don't take unnecessary risk and enjoy a long and happy life.

Could die in a car accident but that doesn't mean it was a mistake to get into your truck today.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I have said it before and I will no doubt say it again, "the avalanche bulletins don't tell me when or whether I can ride, it tells me where I will ride."

Spring conditions can be dangerous and one has to be cognizant of the places one goes. Lots of places in the mountains where there are meadows and valley bottoms with "no" avalanche risks and "no" avalanche risks getting there. Once the major slide paths are down, either from storm loading or solar loading, it is pretty safe if one is looking and watching for the hazards and being conservative with good choices.

Fish also, has my respect. He has done a great job of coming back and using the criticism to his advantage without venting and running away and hiding: Never to come back to these hallowed pages........:d

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do what ever you like doing, you could die anywhere anytime. But running a guy down when your not much better than him...well rubs me the wrong way.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have said it before and I will no doubt say it again, "the avalanche bulletins don't tell me when or whether I can ride, it tells me where I will ride."

Spring conditions can be dangerous and one has to be cognizant of the places one goes. Lots of places in the mountains where there are meadows and valley bottoms with "no" avalanche risks and "no" avalanche risks getting there. Once the major slide paths are down, either from storm loading or solar loading, it is pretty safe if one is looking and watching for the hazards and being conservative with good choices.
Now that is using the brain..Running away from the "mountains" is silly.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is interesting reading the comments from people mentioning how lucky they are to be alive...I think the same thing all of the time. Back in the day we had no avalanche training, equipment, or knowledge. Then in 1997 it happened to me.
There were 4 of us in Gorman riding across a huge avalanche path and had no idea we were in danger. There were 2 guys in front of me and all I felt was the huge gush of wind and then the huge cloud of snow blew past me. I looked back and all I seen was avalanche debris and snow clouds. My buddy was right behind me and then he was gone.
Three of us were lucky that day, and it was the longest truck ride home I have ever had.

I know everyone is giving it to this guy...and deservedly so. In this day and age we have so much information available to us and we need to take it all in.
Like someone said, maybe this thread is a good learning experience for the newbies that do not have any seat time in the mountains and they need a wake up call. I encourage people to tell other people when they are putting themselves in danger. I know there are punks out there that will tell you to F off, but if any of us can make a difference and save one life, then it's worth it.
I had the most difficult wake up call you could get, and I don't wish that on anyone.

Very well said, Neil!!

Today marks the 4th anniversary of my avalanche survival. I was under for nearly 10 minutes in an area in Devil's Garden (north of Revy), the same day and only minutes apart from when Turbo dropped in Boulder. We weren't climbing or anything, but the trigger point started nearly a kilometre away and propagated around a massive ridge-line...basically bringing down an entire mountain side. It forged through a fairly deep gully (like it wasn't even there) and got me on the 10-15 degree slope I was playing on above a lake. My life was spared due to the quick response of my well equipped and trained riding group. If it wasn't for them....I wouldn't be here to tell the story.

Stay and play safe out there. Be equipped and trained!! And, use every tool you have at your fingertips to both protect you and help you make good decisions.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That upper bowl from the lake is nasty how it raps around. Were you by chance riding with Lance that day?
Very well said, Neil!!

Today marks the 4th anniversary of my avalanche survival. I was under for nearly 10 minutes in an area in Devil's Garden (north of Revy), the same day and only minutes apart from when Turbo dropped in Boulder. We weren't climbing or anything, but the trigger point started nearly a kilometre away and propagated around a massive ridge-line...basically bringing down an entire mountain side. It forged through a fairly deep gully (like it wasn't even there) and got me on the 10-15 degree slope I was playing on above a lake. My life was spared due to the quick response of my well equipped and trained riding group. If it wasn't for them....I wouldn't be here to tell the story.

Stay and play safe out there. Be equipped and trained!! And, use every tool you have at your fingertips to both protect you and help you make good decisions.

snowbuster

Reaction score
Good on you for responding to the bashing Fish. I, like many others I am sure started riding in the mountains before taking an avy course. I have never had a close call but early on I wasn't fully aware of the dangers that exist. The course will open your eyes and you will see dangers you never knew were there. All of the riders in my group have all taken multiple courses and we collectively decide which areas and slopes etc to ride on. Unfortunately we see the risks others take and give advice on avoiding the looming danger but it is not always appreciated. Not only do you have to be responsible for your own actions, but be aware of others around you; particularly a busy area with riders playing above you,etc. Ride safe and informed!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'm glad that situation turned out on a positive note and everyone went home safe, I didn't see the vid I really didn't have to. A slide in bounds or out of bounds at the end of the day is still a slide, we've all seen people ride were they are not supposed to due to either ignorance or truly not realizing were they are, lots of mistakes made and hopefully lessons were learned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom