Residential Geothermal

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody run a geothermal system for heating/cooling in a newer house? I am interested, but I can't seem to find any actual $$$ figures on what it costs to install. Anybody with any input on this?

We are looking real hard at doing an acreage (see other thread) and I was thinking of going this route on the new house...

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody run a geothermal system for heating/cooling in a newer house? I am interested, but I can't seem to find any actual $$$ figures on what it costs to install. Anybody with any input on this?

We are looking real hard at doing an acreage (see other thread) and I was thinking of going this route on the new house...

Our friends have it. I believe he installs it also. I will text you some information.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I bought a house that has geothermal. Please make sure you really do your homework on who designs and installs your system!! I like how it works, the cooling feature in the summer is really nice, but the system was designed to small for the size of house and has a hard time keeping up when it cools off. We have a pellet stove as back up and it works good. Any installer would come out and quote a price, it will vary as to whether you go with a horizontal or vertical loop, and the size make of furnace/heat pump. And I would consider a back up source of heat, but that is just my preference. Can't stress enough on the homework part, once you've paid the piper your stuck, but that being said if its designed and sized right it is a really good system for heating AND cooling

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not worth it usually.Electric bill goes way up,initial costs and stress are high.I have seen too many people ripped off on this and solar instalations(never anywhere near the payback expected).Nothing but problems and excuses for extra costs and bad results.Natural gas is much cheaper and simple.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be afraid ,be very afraid............No offense Dave but you are way too old to ever get your money back !!! Spend your money on insulation and windows...........

yes, i might be purchasing a spray in polyurethane insulation machine quite soon to do our first project in fort mac, then will be contracting out between fort mac and edmonton, and also in kelowna. keep me in mind if you choose to go this route for insulation. I am also a master electrician and would be wiling to come out and wire your new shack at a S&M member price.

going back on topic geo thermal i heard works better in the mild climates like bc. the high initial cost is hard to swallow, much of that cost is the drilling for vertical or excavation on the horizontal loop style. as far as the rest goes its not that much more then the tradtional home HVAC systems. also like mentioned above, your savings on natural gas as usually eaten up by your higher electrical bill

mdwils

Reaction score
Not worth it usually.Electric bill goes way up,initial costs and stress are high.I have seen too many people ripped off on this and solar instalations(never anywhere near the payback expected).Nothing but problems and excuses for extra costs and bad results.Natural gas is much cheaper and simple.

I installed mine myself for $15000. Electric bill dropped 70 bucks from $300 a month. Had forced air electric. Very happy with it.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
300 a month for electric forced air? You must keep a cold house
Electric rates in BC are MUCH more reasonable than central Alberta...not sure about Sask...but you rarely see electric heat in my area.

Figured while I was here I would look at my bills. During winter, my combined gas and electric were 230 to 280 bucks month....summer is 150 bucks. I currently heat a 1200 sq ft bi-level and a 900 sq ft detached that I leave warm all the time. I also have electric AC.

Looks like BC is 6.9 c/kwh, AB (mine) 8.6 c/kwhr, and Sask is 11.2 c/kwhr....

Last edited:

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Burn Nat.Gas. Think of all up poor starving mechanics that rely on you rich guys to burn lots of gas and keep the industry going.
Don't forget he said acerage, depending where he is looking there might not be any natural gas close by, or you would have to pay to have lines run, which would offset the cost, as for electrical it doesn't cost any more than running a regular furnace and if a new building insulated properly would cost less than an older less efficient house

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget he said acerage, depending where he is looking there might not be any natural gas close by, or you would have to pay to have lines run, which would offset the cost, as for electrical it doesn't cost any more than running a regular furnace and if a new building insulated properly would cost less than an older less efficient house
Utilities are to property line...elec, phone and gas. I will need to do a well and a septic field.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is gas there , it is a set price to install...............There are so many better places to spend money than geothermal. My son is an Appraiser, ask him how much people are shying away from geothermal.
A quality forced air set up, insulation,and windows and take time to seal the house up right...........Do you know how many problems are possible down the road with geothermal.....???
It will reduce the value of your home,as the system gets on in age...........

mdwils

Reaction score
gas was going to be $6000 to the house then the cost of a gas fitter, and a H. Efficiency furnace plus duct work. Then a gas bill every month. At the time I was seismic drilling so I drilled my own wells. Made sense at the time.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Utilities are to property line...elec, phone and gas. I will need to do a well and a septic field.

About that well, check with neighbors and Gov't to see what kind of water in your area; you might want a cistern instead.

Now back to your original programming, my sister is a real estate agent and she will not list a house with Geothermal, even if it newer! Like the appraiser said it is a de-valuation to your property.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Electric rates in BC are MUCH more reasonable than central Alberta...not sure about Sask...but you rarely see electric heat in my area.

Figured while I was here I would look at my bills. During winter, my combined gas and electric were 230 to 280 bucks month....summer is 150 bucks. I currently heat a 1200 sq ft bi-level and a 900 sq ft detached that I leave warm all the time. I also have electric AC.

Looks like BC is 6.9 c/kwh, AB (mine) 8.6 c/kwhr, and Sask is 11.2 c/kwhr....

my power avg is 500 bi monthly and gas 200 per month during the winter. So avg 350 a month here in bc

Top Bottom