Repairing chip in gel coat

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a fix for a chip in the gel coat...small 1/4 inch chink knocked out from a drunken skier falling against the side of the boat. I wonder if there is a marine product you guys know about...I saw on the net one prduct from U.S. called, "marine Tex"?? any thoughts?? ideas on fixing this??

s/b tech

Reaction score
Marine tex refers to the sealant that would be applied to mounting bolts etc. to seal the area from water penetration. It's not meant to be used to repair gel coat. Check with either your closest marine dealer of fiberglass shop as they will have a kit for just such a repair.

Make sure the drunken sailor pays for the repair :):d:beer:

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to t a dealer to fix a chip is cheaper then you would assume. a few years abo in a boat i had a hole in the bottom, 150 to repair!!! i just had a chip fixed in the boat i have now and it was only a couple hundred and it looks just as good as new!! i had it done at shipwreck

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a fix for a chip in the gel coat...small 1/4 inch chink knocked out from a drunken skier falling against the side of the boat. I wonder if there is a marine product you guys know about...I saw on the net one prduct from U.S. called, "marine Tex"?? any thoughts?? ideas on fixing this??

what you got a chip in the new "ship"?????

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya one chip pissin me off...I am going to talk to the body shop

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check with Spider Works in edmonton. They do gel coating on boats.. Leave a messsage if no one answers he will call back 780-454-2511 Dave is the guy.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya one chip pissin me off...I am going to talk to the body shop

my gel coat cracked and they also filled a chip under warranty, I could probably find the name of the shop here in cow town if ya have no luck, but I am sure someone closer to u should be able to help, ask a dealer and they will have a few contacts for sure.

lets see some pics... what did ya get??? my lake is almost all water now, well its snowing now but ice should be gone within a week or so

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will try and get some photos up soon..snowing bad here too....19 foot Maxum, tower, etc,,,really nice,,,excited about getting out

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will try and get some photos up soon..snowing bad here too....19 foot Maxum, tower, etc,,,really nice,,,excited about getting out

congrats buddy should be fun, I am slowly getting the itch, but my favourite part of sleding is here so i have a few sled trips still,

last year I was wakeboarding on the saturday and sledding on the sunday thoose are good weekends....

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
Talk to a truck canopy shop, or your local pumbing guy he should know of someone in the area that fixes gelcoat tubs & showers. We have trade damage to our products all the time. Best part is thier mobile.:cool:

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
checked out the local marine shop..he sent me to a fiberglass shop in Coaldale. They were kind enough to provide me with enough gel coat, hardener, polishing compound, and sandpaper to fix 10 holes for a whole ten bucks (Instructions to boot)...I am going to tackle it this weekend...small dent but it pisses me off...

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Most marine places will carry gel coat repair Kits you can get strait white or a kit with die packs for color match, its very easy to do, a little acetone, and the gel coat, which if you talk to any plastics supplier can probably get the gelcoat for you cheaper than any marine dealer can its a fairly easy fix. i have some to do to mine this year

Top Bottom