Rental troubles

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a bind. I would like some advice/opinions from some of the members here.

I rented a Skidsteer from a rental company in edmonton so I could work on my motocross track. I received a really great deal from this company because they get a bunch of business from the company i work for.

Here are the problems that took place of the weekend I rented this machine.

Due to the hours I work, I had my womans Father pick up the skidsteer. He used his creditcard for the rental.

The first machine we had broke down after a half hours worth of use, and we were lucky enough to get a hold of them before they closed to swap out for a new machine. 2 hours later we had the new unit. At the end of the Saturday night i was lifting a load of dirt, and a rock came down from the bucket and shattered the glass in the door covering the cockpit. It wasnt an overly large rock, but I was lucky it did not come through into the seat. I wasn't lucky enough however to escape the entire window exploding inward and covering me from head to toe in tiny pieces of glass.

in the original quote I had e-mailed to me by the rental agent, the insurance was included in the price. Upon return of the rental, they have told me the insurance was waived.

I agreed to 'rental protection' through e-mail with the rental agent. i have proof of this in e-mail. They tell me that my girlfriends father waived the rental protection. He tells me he did NOT waive the rental protection.

They are now telling me i will pay the $330 to replace the glass.

What should i do here? fight this? pay them?

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked lawyers were REALLY pricey (not sure if it would get to this level but it could) ... I dunno man.. I always say pick your battles and for 400 bucks I'd probably just let it go.

Think of it this way....
You will most likely lose some valuable work/play time and maybe even some wages.
You might end up having to pay the full price for the rental, not the special deal price.
And you may create enemies...

I say just know better for next time...

Feel free to disagree with my opinion :)

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
What does it say on the contract your father in law signed?....if it is waved and he signed I would say you are SOL. Maybe try calling around maybe you can get it cheaper than them

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
In order to waive the insurance one must initial the physical contract, pull it out and look at it really closely. Alternatively, some credit card companies also have insurance for rentals.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with TG.... OMG did I say that :eek:.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep what you said in the emails don't matter, it's what the signed contract says. Sure you could ask for a bit of rental discount for the one machine breaking down, but got nothing to stand on about the windshield.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just pay it its only $300 bucks good thing u weren't on mine it would be double :rant: or u could bUY one like mine for $63000 then u can do what ever u want to it just saying

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I'm in a bit of a bind. I would like some advice/opinions from some of the members here.

I rented a Skidsteer from a rental company in edmonton so I could work on my motocross track. I received a really great deal from this company because they get a bunch of business from the company i work for.

Here are the problems that took place of the weekend I rented this machine.

Due to the hours I work, I had my womans Father pick up the skidsteer. He used his creditcard for the rental.

The first machine we had broke down after a half hours worth of use, and we were lucky enough to get a hold of them before they closed to swap out for a new machine. 2 hours later we had the new unit. At the end of the Saturday night i was lifting a load of dirt, and a rock came down from the bucket and shattered the glass in the door covering the cockpit. It wasnt an overly large rock, but I was lucky it did not come through into the seat. I wasn't lucky enough however to escape the entire window exploding inward and covering me from head to toe in tiny pieces of glass.

in the original quote I had e-mailed to me by the rental agent, the insurance was included in the price. Upon return of the rental, they have told me the insurance was waived.

I agreed to 'rental protection' through e-mail with the rental agent. i have proof of this in e-mail. They tell me that my girlfriends father waived the rental protection. He tells me he did NOT waive the rental protection.

They are now telling me i will pay the $330 to replace the glass.

What should i do here? fight this? pay them?

You need to confront this head on..stand your ground. Print off eveything that was discussed via e-mail and have a sit down disscusion with yourself, manager, girlfriends father, and the rental agent that took on your business. If it comes down to your word against theirs settle for half and never rent from them again. This is what I'd do...just an opinion :d

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need to confront this head on..stand your ground. Print off eveything that was discussed via e-mail and have a sit down disscusion with yourself, manager, girlfriends father, and the rental agent that took on your business. If it comes down to your word against theirs settle for half and never rent from them again. This is what I'd do...just an opinion :d

If the paperwork states he didn't want it, and it's obviously SIGNED. Then he didn't want it and didn't get it. You can't change it after when you need it. Or you'd have everyone trying to buy it after breaking something. It is in no way shape or form the rental places fault or problem. No reason for them to even consider halfing it.

Live and learn from the mistakes......

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
If the paperwork states he didn't want it, and it's obviously SIGNED. Then he didn't want it and didn't get it. You can't change it after when you need it. Or you'd have everyone trying to buy it after breaking something. It is in no way shape or form the rental places fault or problem. No reason for them to even consider halfing it.

Live and learn from the mistakes......

He said he did not wave it. So what was signed ? What wasn't signed? Am I missing something ?

Like he said...I agreed to 'rental protection' through e-mail with the rental agent. i have proof of this in e-mail. They tell me that my girlfriends father waived the rental protection. He tells me he did NOT waive the rental protection.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if you fight this thing, there is still a deductible.

The difference between the deductible and the cost of repair is what your fighting about, is it worth it ?

Suck it up and pay it with a smile. :cool:

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree, if your or Ambers father clearly did not AGREE to waiving the insurance, then you should at least try to fight this civily first with the manager of the company. Bring all your e-mails and proof that nor you or him asked to have the insuranced waived.. what kind of idiot would waive insurance on a rented machine thats worth like 50g? That shouldn't even be allowed in my opinion. It's a really chitty deal, I think they are just scamming you to be honest but I say do what you can, but if all fails and they stand behind their scam then its definitely not worth lawyer fees... $300.. or $3000?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no matter what, you or someone has signed and agreed to the rental contract. what is stated on the contract is what you will have to live by. the manager may waive the fee but it will be at his discretion. he did not break the window you did. you can talk to him, talk real nice, ranting and raving not going to get you anywhere. otherwise pay up, lawyers will eat your $300 and more.

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In order to waive the insurance one must initial the physical contract, pull it out and look at it really closely. Alternatively, some credit card companies also have insurance for rentals.

Agreed, check what credit card was used. Most higher end cards cover the extra insurance.

Top Bottom