Rehash the tire debate

Rabid C

Reaction score
Looking to change the stock rubber on my 09 Outlander Max. I have looked at Zilla's, Mudbug's, Swamplite's, Executioner's, Mudlite's etc. I am looking for the best mud/trail combo tire. I want to move up to a set of 28's, but the one thing I have found is the huge weight difference going from stock. Clutch kit is going to be added as well but still looking to keep the weight as minimal as possible. Anyone with an opinion I would love to hear it. Thanks all:d

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO, the only option would be zilla's, for trail/mud/weight performance and ride quality.

I am pretty sure that if you are going to keep the stock rims, if you go with a 10" or wider on your machine you will need 1" spacers for the front. At least on an 800 you do,..

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO, the only option would be zilla's, for trail/mud/weight performance and ride quality.

I am pretty sure that if you are going to keep the stock rims, if you go with a 10" or wider on your machine you will need 1" spacers for the front. At least on an 800 you do,..

X2, I agree with the Zillas. I have the 28" Zillas and ran stock clutching for close to 500km and had no problems whatsoever. Put a better primary in just to give a bit more bottom end.
What ever you do stay away from the mudlights. If you like the tread pattern and such of the mudlights go with the Supergrip Superlights, they will hold up way better under any conditions and have the same tread pattern.

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the super lights and they are an awsome tire so far good handling and durability excellent in the mud and snow. My only complaint is that I purchased 28x12x12 for the rear and aired up only are about 10 inches wide and I like the look of a wider tire but other than that good price and good tire so far

wingtoolz

Reaction score
X2, I agree with the Zillas. I have the 28" Zillas and ran stock clutching for close to 500km and had no problems whatsoever. Put a better primary in just to give a bit more bottom end.
What ever you do stay away from the mudlights. If you like the tread pattern and such of the mudlights go with the Supergrip Superlights, they will hold up way better under any conditions and have the same tread pattern.

Why stay away from the mudlights? The guys I ride with run executioners, mud bitchs, mudlights and a few other models. We run anything from 26 to 28" on a variety of wheels in all conditions. We ride sticky mud, 'keg runs, ice, lotta different snow conditions, hard pack, even sand trails and the different set ups have advantages and disadvantages. I am set up with 26" lights on ITP rims. They have held up well - almost 1600 miles in less than a year - and do allright across the board. I have looked at other tires, but found the lights pretty cheap and have been happy with them so far except that studs don't last very long at all in them and studs are dang near mandatory riding winter conditions - running the lakes, rivers and the hardpacked trails. What other brand and model will offer similar all around performance in the same price range? I don't want to go too tall, I've found that compromises top end and cornering ability on fast trails. Am riding a Grizzly 700, '08, EPS, Dynaflex CDI, otherwise stock.

thx,

wingtoolz

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with mud lites (not ITP brand) is that they get microscopic holes where the lug meets the tire. You won't have them at first, but after a while you will start to get them. Plus when you air them up, IMO they bulge way too much between the lugs and that's just asking for a puncture wound right there.

What this causes is constant air leaks with fluctuating temperature,.. when I used to have mine I would have to air up in the morning, and at the end of the day I had lost about 5psi in the defunct tire(s)

Now it doesn't happen in all of the ML's but from all the guys I ride with,.. 90% have this problem. Also the ML do not have a a rim guard, and when aird down like to pick up rock and stick.

Just my .02ct + 5%gst

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone here ever tried qorilla silverbacks???? i.e. wieght, ride?

Kind of in a different class of tire with the Outlaws and the Mudzillas....heavy, pure mud tire.

I also agree with the "anything but Mudlite" theory. We call 'em "Pluglites"....never seen another type of tire get holes as often as these.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d I bought 26" supergrip superlites this fall for my Honda 420 and REALLY like them. Didn't get to ride much this fall with them much to try them for traction as the ground was already frozen when I bought them but have been using them this winter of course. I do alot of plowing snow, and these tires make a world of difference. Traction was always the weakest link in plowing but not no more. They have 1.25" lugs on them and they really bite good. Man, I can't wait for spring, summer and fall so I can try them out in the west country !!

cookgio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah if ya want a good all around light tire go with the new zillas they are lighter then mudlight xtrs. And perform really good in everysituation.

jessie

Reaction score
Just got zillas on my xp550 went out in the snow they are awsome tires also I was pushing snow with my blade I don,t need it in 4x4 to do that anymore bought my zillas installed from rapid revoultions for 578.00 best price I could find.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know i can kick my buddies @ss in the mud. he runs 27 inch xtr's on a BF 650 and i have 26 inch zillas on my KVF 700. :) Cant go wrong with zillas IMO

RussellB

Reaction score
I put 1400 miles on my 28" swamplites and they still had lots of tread left when I sold them. I now run 29.5x10x12 Swamplites on s108s. I do alot of swamp/mud riding and can still have fun on the drag strip. Outlaws are great mud tires but they tear the heck out of the trails. I agree with others, Mudlites are way to soft and will rip next to the lugs.

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id put a set of zillas on. iv got 3400kms on mine without an issue and iv got them on an 09 850xp. they wear well and have great traction, plus super light for that style of tire. dont let price bother you. you get wgat you pay for

Top Bottom