regulating over boost??

TGL

Reaction score
hi and thanks for your help. I have a 2010 nytro 162 with mc express 270 kit, I blew motor from over boosting last winter and now wondering if there is a after market regulator that will not allow over boost. think I fixed the regulator problem (sitting wrong and froze) but would like to install same sort of a fail safe, does the boost-it kit do this?

Chunk

Reaction score
That's what the wastegate does. It was set too high if your motor blew from too much boost.

TGL

Reaction score
Wastegate is set right, but will double check. Regulator was froze. ??? wish i knew more

Chunk

Reaction score
Wastegate is what opens and bleeds off pressure. Which regulator are you talking about? The tcv? (little black deal with vacuum lines) if the wastegate is set correctly and the tcv is under the seat where it's warm you should be good to go. You can pull the tcv out and put in a boost controller with a dial and then you control your boost with a turn of the knob. Who Installed the turbo?

TGL

Reaction score
Yes the regulator under seat. Tried blowing through it, frozen. . Is it possible that it was faulty?? I bought a new one. So long story short, was wondering if this happened again, is there anything out there that would even retard motor at certain boost levels?? Running 50/50 fuel. I'm not much of a motorhead, let alone turbo guy, but learning quickly.

TGL

Reaction score
Or the boost knob controls that? Sounds like I will turn it up and blow it again! ha

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What were you seeing for spikes on what you call over boost? There is a couple ways that I know even on a simple wastgae set up you could get too much boost if the diaphram on the wastgate was binded or stuck closed then no exhaust gas could bypass the turbine. If the pressure sensing line is off of your charge pipe or the wastegate then it would be sensing low pressure and try to spin up the compressor endlessly causing an overboost but either way you should see it when your riding. A bad boost controller can do the same thing ive heard of guys having boost spikes with crap controllers as it esentially tricks your sensing line in seeing low boost condition like example 2. But again you should see it on your boost gage or do you mean your boost gage was froze and never sensed the proper boost?

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or were you just too much boost and not enough octane? Little more info and we could point ya in right direction.

roughriders

Reaction score
I run a digital boost controller, it is called eboost. It has a setting which allows you to set a max boost setting, if you hit the max boost that you programed in it cuts your boost in half to save your motor. It is about six hundred bucks though.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check out a prologger. It is pricey but it has never lean technology. It will automatically lower the boost if the AFR is not right.Prologger Wideband o2 Electronic Fuel Injection Tuning Solutionsif your valve froze it might not hel with that, maybe locate the valve in a place away from snow.
My turbo control valve would stick on 3-4 day trips without thawing the sled daily. If I came down In Elevation fast it would stick at the highest point (sometimes) Giving me 20 lbs or more of boost at lower elevations. I could hear and feel it so I never blew a motor. I had enough of auto tune. So I put a turbo smart boost controller on my sled. And also calibrate your boost gauge. Now I control boost levels

powder muncher

Reaction score
Never had that problem with my supercharger;):rolleyes: However my turbo used to have the same problem if I did not thaw it out I needed to turn the boost down a bit before the first full power run just to get the controller moving after that it was fine. As you said pay att to your boost gauge if you don't just let the wastgate do its job and use a controller.

TKOOIL

Reaction score
Don't put the eboost gauge on I had one,the saying keep it simple stupid really does apply. I put on a boost t and liquid filled guage because my eboost would sense a spike in boost on a really HARD PULL and then dump half your boost.Just keep an eye on your gauges and get the sled dialed in.I know lots of people that just set it on the wastegate and have no trouble at all.I would be more apt to question fuel quality than overboost these motors seem to hold together if you run enough octane.I mix mine 50/50 112 and premium and have had zero trouble.If i try to run too much boost the thing will fall on its face ie not enough fuel.

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, Keep it simple. Liquid filled gauge, Boost T. It's all I run. I set the waist gate for 12lbs of boost and then used the Boost T to turn it up from there. Then pay attention and get it set up to your desired boost and leave it alone. That way you will never run less than what your wastegate is set at and if you over boost its only because you got greedy with the dial on the Boost T. And always make sure you are running good fuel. Happy Boosting:beer:

Last edited:
Top Bottom