recommendations for vet for small dog

gasman

Reaction score
my little dog needs her teeth cleaned and maybe 1 or 2 teeth pulled. our vet gave us a quote of $1600- 2200. anybody know any places that I don't have to take a mortgage out to get it done? thx

dtcat

Reaction score
castledowns animal hospital used dr lee for years was reasonable

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same issues here with our vet. I said I only paid $500 for the dog, be cheaper to get a new one. Her jaw dropped and I said that how your price makes me feels to.

mxz800x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's ridiculous how much they charge. Oh well, we had the same thing happen to our ****-zu. I told the wife I wasn't paying for dental fee for our dog. She told me It would be in my best interest to pay the vet bill. She told me,that a divorce would definitely cost a heck of a lot more then the vet. She won.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rural vet. At least 50% less. 1 hr out of city limits pick your direction.

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
castledowns animal hospital used dr lee for years was reasonable

I've used him a few three times, although all 3 visits were far from cheap, they pale in comparison to what I've heard some people paying for the smallest of issues.

It's ridiculous how much they charge.

No kidding, its flat out robbery what some vets charge. I get it they have specialized expensive schooling but still..

While in Mazatlan last Jan my friend that winters there had an issue with her dog's tooth, she figured it needed to be pulled.
It didn't but they did quite a bit of other work to save the tooth and it worked out to something like $75 Canadian for the vet visit, the anesthetic and the drugs and they even brought the dog back to the resort when it was done shaking off the anesthetic, now that's service! And reasonably priced.

Whenever you hear of big cases of neglected animals that need to be checked out by a vet or dog rescue vehicles running into mechanical issues requiring a vet to check them all out you never hear of them getting together and helping out, if not for free at least a reduced rate. There's quite a few shows on vets on the boob tube and they are allways helping out people that can't afford their rediculous rates. Never hear of that happening here though...

Darrell D

Reaction score
I would recommend the South Fort vet clinic in Ft Saskatchewan . We had our dog in there for surgery after he broke his leg. First, these people went out of there way to get him in while several other vets in the edmonton area were to busy, They charged us about a $1000 less then most of the the quotes, open on the weekends, great people very accommodating.

gasman

Reaction score
I am going to phone stony and ft. sask vets tomorrow. maybe a couple others. thanks for the input

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s funny I might have helped her though vet school 7 years and a lot of trips to Saskatoon 5 hours there and back but it was worth it she is a great kid and she gave us 2 grandsons

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day thats all that matters. Grand kids are the best.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere outside of Edmonton is going to be much cheaper. As rural as you can go. We had our mutts cleaned and about 6-months later they were bad again. Some of them are just predisposed to plaque. Stay away from “chain” vet clinics.

This..^^^...many vet clinics are now owned by investment groups whose sole purpose is to make money for the investors. Look for vets that are still independent. I always ask right up front if they are part of a veterinary management group and will not do business with them if they are. I support the independents and as others have said....rural vets. I've been amazed at what little my Dad pays for his dogs needs compared to the city vets.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like was said before shop around and the further you get away from the big urban centers the lower the price.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard really good things about a vet in Dewberry Ab - specializes in small breed - I don't know the vets name tho I'll have to ask the wife

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uncas vet is extremely good and well
priced. They are out by Sherwood park.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The lac st anne vet is very reasonable for price as well, right on highway 43 at the gunn turnoff, in the old bombardier dealership building

Top Bottom