Rear shock on 2000 Summit 700 136"

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with the rear shock on my 2000 Summit 700 136". If the weather is cold enough, and I get close to bottoming out the rear suspension, the shock will not come back from the bottomed out position. If I heat up the shock, it allows the suspension to go back to normal. I can hear some moisture in the shock when I compress/decompress the rear suspension. There is a "HPG" sticker on the shock, but I doubt that it can be rebuilt. Can somebody confirm this? If not, does anybody have a shock that would work (stock or aftermarket)?

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if it can be rebuilt but it sounds like the shock is shot. The same thing was happening on my wife's 1999 Summit 600. I replaced it with a compatable Ryde FX shock. A quick test is to rub your hand on the shaft of the shock. If it is leaking badly you may see or feel the shock oil. If it is leaking slowly you can smell it on your hand.

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no it can't be rebuilt, same thing happened to both of mine replaced them with ryde fx shocks reasonabley priced and work well

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Ryde FX 8225 is the shock that replaces the stock shock. I noticed that the stock shock is a "HPG" shock, and the Ryde FX says it is low pressure gas so that the oil doesn't foam. Does anybody know what the benefits of the High Pressure would be? I'm guessing faster and more accurate response?

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know who sells the Ryde FX 8225 shock in Edmonton, or who would have the best price online?

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the hpg shock on my summit is rebuildable,there is a valve at the bottom of shock. i took mine to cycleworks south to be recharged.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This one does not have a valve on it. Doesn't look rebuildable to me.

Top Bottom