rear axle seals on 2005 2500HD questions?

NORDIC

Reaction score
In the process of replacing both rear axle seals, rotors and pads. Also installing rear brake guards, hope they work... Anyone know how to properly seat the rear seal(mounted in the hub) back onto the shaft and adjust bearings preload. Looked all over the net, can't seem to find any torque specifications... Purchased the correct socket for the ring nut from NAPA, just need specs to put back together. Also need to know proper torque specifications for the 8 axle bolts. Thanks for your time!

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done lots of these. I go just snug NOT TIGHT!! Go to the loose side of the lock nut if you cant line the slot up in order to put the lock pin in. When puting in the oil seal use the correct seal driver or the seal will leak.

NORDIC

Reaction score
I have done lots of these. I go just snug NOT TIGHT!! Go to the loose side of the lock nut if you cant line the slot up in order to put the lock pin in. When puting in the oil seal use the correct seal driver or the seal will leak.

okay thanks, which place would be the best to pick up the correct seal driver?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baaaaaaaaaaaa. U don't need a seal driver. U can just about push it in by hand. It's a mechanical seal ( two part seal )

The just snug and backed off till the next block hole.

That's the bearing preload. Not loose but not tight.

Also make sure the seal has bottomed out on to the hub nose. If not it will give false setting.

sent from my htc

NORDIC

Reaction score
That is what i did, just pushed in evenly by hand and the rest of the way with a rubber faced hammer. How can you tell if the seal has seated properly. Can you just thread the locking nut all the way in, then back off to set the preload on the bearings...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do one side at a time. So u can see approx how much thread is showing.

But I did one last week. Is say a 1/8 to 1/4 thread outa the nut.

sent from my htc

TRAV

Reaction score
Make sure the inner piece of the seal is not still on the axle stub, seen this lots... Seal driver is preferred but not really neccessary. Best way to tighten is to spin hub by had while tightening until it is tight, then back off nut and snug (not turning this time) and loosen off until key lines up.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck with the guard for the caliper. Buddy blew his off in 6 months. Waste of money IMO. 5 years and no brake issues on my 2500 HD.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
THIS MIGHT HELP?

Rear Wheel Bearing Adjustment
(With Full Floating 10.5" or 11.5" Ring Gear)

IMPORTANT :
Ensure the brakes are fully released and do not drag.

• Pull or push the tire at the top back and forth in order to test the wheel bearing play.
  • Use a pry bar under the tire as an alternative.
  • If the wheel bearing adjustment is correct, the movement will be barely noticeable.
  • If the movement is excessive, adjust the bearings.
Adjustment Procedure Tools Required J 2222-C Wheel Bearing Nut Wrench

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Remove the axle shaft.

1. Remove the hub adjuster nut retaining ring.

1. Remove the adjuster nut lock key.

1. Tighten the wheel bearing adjusting nut using the J 2222-C.

• Rotate the hub in the opposite direction to the way the adjuster nut is turning.
    • Ensure the inner bearing and the seal seats against the spindle shoulder.
TIGHTEN

• Adjusting nut to 70 Nm (52.0 lb ft).

1. Turn the adjusting nut counterclockwise until the nut is loose using the J 2222-C.
  2. Turn the adjusting nut clockwise until the nut contacts the bearing cone. Torque on the nut must be zero to finger tight.

1. Insert the adjusting nut lock key into the keyway using one of the following procedures:

• If the adjusting nut slot is in alignment with the keyway in the axle spindle, insert the adjusting nut lock key into the keyway in the axle spindle.
IMPORTANT :
Do not turn the adjusting nut more than one slot counterclockwise in order to align the adjusting nut slot with the keyway in the axle spindle.

• If the adjusting nut slot is not aligned with the keyway in the axle spindle, turn the adjusting nut counterclockwise until the adjusting nut slot is in alignment with the keyway in the axle spindle and insert the adjusting nut lock key.

1. Install the retaining ring.
  2. Install the axle shaft.
  3. Inspect the lubricant level and add, if necessary.
  4. Lower the vehicle.

NORDIC

Reaction score
Thanks summitric, this was very helpful. Just to clarify what is the best way to insure that the inner bearing and new oil seal have been
seated against the shoulder properly? I thought maybe by turning in the bearing retaining nut. But how far should I thread it in? I would think that this rearend is 10.5" because it is a 2500HD...

Rear Wheel Bearing Adjustment
(With Full Floating 10.5" or 11.5" Ring Gear)

IMPORTANT :
Ensure the brakes are fully released and do not drag.

• Pull or push the tire at the top back and forth in order to test the wheel bearing play.
  • Use a pry bar under the tire as an alternative.
  • If the wheel bearing adjustment is correct, the movement will be barely noticeable.
  • If the movement is excessive, adjust the bearings.
Adjustment Procedure Tools Required J 2222-C Wheel Bearing Nut Wrench

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Remove the axle shaft.

1. Remove the hub adjuster nut retaining ring.

1. Remove the adjuster nut lock key.

1. Tighten the wheel bearing adjusting nut using the J 2222-C.

• Rotate the hub in the opposite direction to the way the adjuster nut is turning.
    • Ensure the inner bearing and the seal seats against the spindle shoulder.
TIGHTEN

• Adjusting nut to 70 Nm (52.0 lb ft).

1. Turn the adjusting nut counterclockwise until the nut is loose using the J 2222-C.
  2. Turn the adjusting nut clockwise until the nut contacts the bearing cone. Torque on the nut must be zero to finger tight.

1. Insert the adjusting nut lock key into the keyway using one of the following procedures:

• If the adjusting nut slot is in alignment with the keyway in the axle spindle, insert the adjusting nut lock key into the keyway in the axle spindle.
IMPORTANT :
Do not turn the adjusting nut more than one slot counterclockwise in order to align the adjusting nut slot with the keyway in the axle spindle.

• If the adjusting nut slot is not aligned with the keyway in the axle spindle, turn the adjusting nut counterclockwise until the adjusting nut slot is in alignment with the keyway in the axle spindle and insert the adjusting nut lock key.

1. Install the retaining ring.
  2. Install the axle shaft.
  3. Inspect the lubricant level and add, if necessary.
  4. Lower the vehicle.
[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom