RAM ECO Diesel mileage

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better add in the cost of def and oil changes too.

agreed... and i saw one on the lot for 50k... not very well loaded... my f150 cost me 30k... last year i was cummins shopping and got prices for mega cabs at 56k... now that's a half ton??? NO offence to anyone but to me that's crazy

having said all that... when the smoke settles and there is competition in the market the prices will adjust... then i will probably jump on one! I love diesels...

it will also give me time to see how well the engine performes for a few seasons

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed... and i saw one on the lot for 50k... not very well loaded... my f150 cost me 30k... last year i was cummins shopping and got prices for mega cabs at 56k... now that's a half ton??? NO offence to anyone but to me that's crazy

having said all that... when the smoke settles and there is competition in the market the prices will adjust... then i will probably jump on one! I love diesels...

it will also give me time to see how well the engine performes for a few seasons
All depends on how you load them up. My gas half ton was retail 58,000. The same truck in a one ton diesel was 86,000 with the cheapest sale price being 68,000(from what I saw)

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Mine's an 06.
what year??? lately my 02 6 speed hard to get 14/L/100. On an interesting note i remember when this truck came out it was a big deal 6 speed manual HO 245hp... wow 245HP. I love this truck so having a half ton that's 240hp imhop would rock!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what year??? lately my 02 6 speed hard to get 14/L/100. On an interesting note i remember when this truck came out it was a big deal 6 speed manual HO 245hp... wow 245HP. I love this truck so having a half ton that's 240hp imhop would rock!

You fill up at a not so busy of a gas station? If they still have winter diesel in there tanks you won't get as good of mileage with winter diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For all you die hard Chevy guys, they own 50% of the company. Nissan is also coming out with a 1/2 ton diesel with a 10 speed transmission.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 414

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on how you load them up. My gas half ton was retail 58,000. The same truck in a one ton diesel was 86,000 with the cheapest sale price being 68,000(from what I saw)

I haven't bought a new truck for a couple years, have they taken a major jump in price? Last was a 2012 f150 lariat was 43k, before that a 2010 f350 lariat was 53k. Seems like add 10-20k on now?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last two trucks were 50. All depends on who and where and what are in them. Prices are all over the place. That why I went to camrose dodge with the last one. You start at a low price so you don't have to do all the dealing crap.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the trucks but I've rented several Nissan cars over the last couple years complete pieces of crap.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if fuel mileage would improve if an aftermarket tuner was installed on these new rams, if/when they become available and whether or not they could do emissions deletes? I know on the 1 tons this often improves economy.

On a side note, I hope dodge has figured out the emissions equipment on these, because if they are anything like the 2011/2012 6.7 C&C trucks I would steer clear.

uninc...

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Nissan at all, especially the Titan. But it will have a 5.0l cummins engine with 300hp and 500ft/lbs torque. I like those numbers better then the rams. Gm is making a 2.8l Duramax but it will be going into the canyon and colorado trucks, not a half ton.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if fuel mileage would improve if an aftermarket tuner was installed on these new rams, if/when they become available and whether or not they could do emissions deletes? I know on the 1 tons this often improves economy.

On a side note, I hope dodge has figured out the emissions equipment on these, because if they are anything like the 2011/2012 6.7 C&C trucks I would steer clear.
I would take their 10-12 emissions over the 13-15 emissions.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would take their 10-12 emissions over the 13-15 emissions.

Just curious why you would say that? I think the 6.7 cummins with out urea has been an epic fail. Everybody I know who has had one has had huge issues dpfs plugged intakes plugged solid with carbon etc. All dodge did was recycle EGR gasses way way way to much to cut nox's when all they had to do was add urea injection and they could have drastically cut back egr rates and saved engines.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
80% of my diag work is def related. It is another system that will fail. The p/u's are behind the big trucks by a couple years. What we are finding now is the they had cut back on egr to bring down the nox, but once we started to monitor the nox properly the egr has to be brought on more to keep them down. It wasn't an issue a couple years ago because they ignored the higher nox levels. Now the government is coming down on the manufacturers to monitor nox in and out so these little things like a plugged egr cooler is fawking things up. As for the soot level inside the intake, etc it isn't any cleaner by adding def. The scr system is totally different from what goes on in the engine. There are way too many issues with def now and it will be a few years to get through this crap California forced on us lol.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious why you would say that? I think the 6.7 cummins with out urea has been an epic fail. Everybody I know who has had one has had huge issues dpfs plugged intakes plugged solid with carbon etc. All dodge did was recycle EGR gasses way way way to much to cut nox's when all they had to do was add urea injection and they could have drastically cut back egr rates and saved engines.

BTW I was referring to the derated Cab and Chassis models, they had DEF in 2011 & 2012. But what a nightmare, the 2011 5500 work truck I drive sees the dealer almost monthly for DEF related issues, anywhere from DEF pumps, to deposits in injectors, to wiring that has shorted out. The only other issues have been a leaking egr gasket and a cracked power steering cooler, but all in 60,000km.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
80% of my diag work is def related. It is another system that will fail. The p/u's are behind the big trucks by a couple years. What we are finding now is the they had cut back on egr to bring down the nox, but once we started to monitor the nox properly the egr has to be brought on more to keep them down. It wasn't an issue a couple years ago because they ignored the higher nox levels. Now the government is coming down on the manufacturers to monitor nox in and out so these little things like a plugged egr cooler is fawking things up. As for the soot level inside the intake, etc it isn't any cleaner by adding def. The scr system is totally different from what goes on in the engine. There are way too many issues with def now and it will be a few years to get through this crap California forced on us lol.

Thanks I understand your comments and appreciate them, where I was coming from with the plugged intake is they recycle dirty soot AKA EGR at a much higher rate on a non Urea injected diesel to maintain low nox levels at the tail pipe.... no??

I know of 4 people personally who have literally spent thousands doing deletes after intakes and egr systems completely failed plugged solid. 2 of them had to sell or trade in the trucks because they could not afford repairs at around 10k. They were a 2010, 2 -2011, and 1 2012. All of these are under 120000km.

I also agree with urea being another deal in itself, sounds like we are committed to a clean diesel from here on in so hopefully it gets better....

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks. I have seen two of our new trucks come through on their way over seas. They didn't not have anything emission related on the engine. Just the engine and old school turbo. I wish we could use them here.

Top Bottom