Question about dirtbike registration/insurance

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
You don't need a head light or tail light on a dirtbike, it is an off-road vehicle. It is a convenience thing to have them but not required. For an on-road vehicles it is a requirement along with a battery to run a flasher circuit (for an hour I believe). Also the bike license is not required for insurance but it will save you money.

You do need lights, no license required except a learners at minimum (accompanied by a licensed adult rider)
You can get bicycle lights at MEC. Tail light can be just a battery operated LED and the headlight (which in parkland county must be on at all times while operating the bike) can just be mounted to the handle bars same as a bicycle also LED. These are very small but will pass inspection. :beer::beer:
Cooperators insurance insured with no questions asked?? Never actually had trouble insuring anything before.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: 250mark1

Why not just abide by the law? People spend $8000 on a bike and won't put a $60 light kit on?

i agree 100 % why give them a reason to hassle you i added lights to my last bike (Cr250) light and stator and it cost about 100 bucks on ebay my new bike is road legal
i think it is to bad that there is no consistancy in the way that all the laws are enforced as what seems to be acceptable to some Co's is not ok by others . also seems to matter what area's you ride in as well i have spent almost 4 weeks in the west country this year and have not even been stopped by a co this year

zachk

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but if I'm insuring and registering a bike, does it have to be under my name, or a parents name since I'm 16.

vuldub

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but if I'm insuring and registering a bike, does it have to be under my name, or a parents name since I'm 16.
Just because you are 16 doesn't mean that the bike must be registered in your name, you can still ride a bike registered in your parents name. The key is you must be named as the rider on the insurance policy and they will need to know your age and if you have a Class 7, 5 or 6 license. If you have a class 6, then there are more insurance companies that will insure you. Hope that helps.

ChevMan1978

Reaction score

Anyone know how it applies for family coming up from the US and bringing a machine?

These rules apply to the machines that are insured and registered here in AB. As long as your machines meet your states regulations that is acceptable. They call it reciprocity I believe. But be prepared and have a copy of your states rules in the glove box. It's all about covering your butt!

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i doubt a battery powered mtn bike light would meet this requirement

Yes it will, from the RCMP and conservation officers themselves. It is a $57 fine for each a headlight and the taillight offence. Brother in law was lucky, his and his 2 sons machines could have ended up earning him 6 tickets, the cop only gave him 2.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes it will, from the RCMP and conservation officers themselves. It is a $57 fine for each a headlight and the taillight offence. Brother in law was lucky, his and his 2 sons machines could have ended up earning him 6 tickets, the cop only gave him 2.

it really depends on the co i have been told they are not ok and also told they are ok i found it easier to just mount a dual sport front light when on crown land i have never been asked to turn it on by any co

PainForMud

Reaction score
Kay so I'm confused here do you need a motorcycle license to ride on crown land ive heard 20 different things and some one needs to clear it up... ive ridden my bike all my life with no license and never knew you needed one so do you or don't you I'm 21 years old... as far as I knew it wasnt road legal period so why in the hell would I need a motorcycle license...

Last edited:
Top Bottom