quads

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were out riding this weekend and of course some a-holes had to take their quads down the trails in my area!!They are probably lucky they were gone before we caught up to them because it would be really hard to fix four flat tires and a broken eye socket out on the trails!!!The trails would probably been ok for another 2 weeks but now with the ruts I'm guessing they'll be done next week!!And it's hard on my kids learning to ride in ruts that were probably a foot deep right down the middle of the trail!!These a-holes want to show how awesome their quads are drive beside the trail in the snow thats 2 and half feet deep!!Oh thats right ......they can't!!!!!They probably don't even have trail passes for my area......I buy four every year!!!!!!I volenteer my time to keep supplies and fire wood at the one cabin then when the last couple of family rides these dicks come in and wreck it for everyone!!!!Maybe if they would use common sense and realize if your cutting ruts as soon as your leave the truck or you can't drive through the grader bank it might be a little too early in the season for quads!!!Smartest part of these dicks obviously ran down their dad's leg!!!!:realmad:

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya dick move to rut up the trail, that sucks. I will admit that i have road my quad on the sled trails, but i do my damdest to not make tracks and get off sled trail as quick as i can. I like sleding but sometimes its nice to get out on the quad.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm with you, you would think they would wait. like you said, give it a week or 2 and you won't be able to ride the sleds any more anyways.

which trails were you riding?

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You talking about Long Island Lake? We were out this weekend and yes some of the trails were pretty torn up. Too bad.:nono:
We did manage to get 89 k in though and I am really beat up( time for a new sled)

Last edited:

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most people , me being one of them had know idea about trail passes, groomed trails for snowmobiles. Just never ever heard about it until i started lurking on these forums.
People want to ride, and these seem like viable options to them.
Just saying.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm with you, you would think they would wait. like you said, give it a week or 2 and you won't be able to ride the sleds any more anyways.

which trails were you riding?

We were headed to the Goodridge Lake cabin,down the pipeline!I hope the same guys follow my sled tracks back into my pasture!!Pretty sure it will be entertaining....for us anyways!!!:nono:

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most people , me being one of them had know idea about trail passes, groomed trails for snowmobiles. Just never ever heard about it until i started lurking on these forums.
Just saying.

I've got no problem with quads using the trails but at the very end of the season when sledding is done!!Trail passes are around $70 or so a year and it seems that the guys that don't bother to buy the passes are the first to take their quads on the sled club trails,bitch how rough the trails are,use up the firewood at the cabins,complain about the cabins!!!In my area the sled trail is shut down at the end of the season because it crosses alot of farmers land but you would be surprised at how many quads drive right through crops thinking its ok because thats the sled trail!!!Just a heads up when you head out quadding what trail system you're on!It pays to know before you run into an irrate land owner or sled club guy!!I'm both!!LOL!!:beer:

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just saying.

Wouldn't you be able to figure out that a marked and maintained trail out in the middle of the country and/or bush was made and used for some purpose other than for you to discover and rip up with your quad? I don't buy your excuse unless you've been living under a rock for a long time!

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got no problem with quads using the trails but at the very end of the season when sledding is done!!Trail passes are around $70 or so a year and it seems that the guys that don't bother to buy the passes are the first to take their quads on the sled club trails,bitch how rough the trails are,use up the firewood at the cabins,complain about the cabins!!!In my area the sled trail is shut down at the end of the season because it crosses alot of farmers land but you would be surprised at how many quads drive right through crops thinking its ok because thats the sled trail!!!Just a heads up when you head out quadding what trail system you're on!It pays to know before you run into an irrate land owner or sled club guy!!I'm both!!LOL!!:beer:

Its stupid how some people just have no common sense any more, STAY OFF FARM LAND ON YOUR QUAD (unless you have permission) Its people like this, that get the farmers pissed off then they say no to the trail going across their land. Its funny how they can spend all this money on machines and not the $70 on passes. Both my sleds get asa passes every year, worth the money even if all they do is groom the trail once and a while.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To avoid this problem in the future you guys should all come to BC where we don't ride trails and no quads will follow in 3' of fresh powder, we make our own trails up through the trees into the alpine/bowls! :D

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To avoid this problem in the future you guys should all come to BC where we don't ride trails and no quads will follow in 3' of fresh powder, we make our own trails up through the trees into the alpine/bowls! :D

Lucky bugger!But I bet its a matter of time before the quad numbers start to rise in the summer then the environmentalists will start complaining in the summer not only in the winter!!I love sledding in your part of the world but the long drive there sucks balls!!:beer:

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well im not trying to sell you anything pops, its just a observation ive made.
One orange arrow intermittently on a trail doesnt really say "hey this is a snowmobile trail, no quads allowed".

And the one and only time i was on a groomed trail, Ministik it was. I was introduced to the system from a area that is no where near the staging area, but off of my brother inlaws property.

Ya maybe i have been living under a rock, maybe i missed that part when i was sold my quad, or bought my registration, maybe didnt read my owners manual explicitly, You take for granted this is common knowledge.

all im offering is a outsiders, newbie, hey i just got a quad lets go for a rip! point of view.
oh and i know better now

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well im not trying to sell you anything pops, its just a observation ive made.
One orange arrow intermittently on a trail doesnt really say "hey this is a snowmobile trail, no quads allowed".

And the one and only time i was on a groomed trail, Ministik it was. I was introduced to the system from a area that is no where near the staging area, but off of my brother inlaws property.

Ya maybe i have been living under a rock, maybe i missed that part when i was sold my quad, or bought my registration, maybe didnt read my owners manual explicitly, You take for granted this is common knowledge.

all im offering is a outsiders, newbie, hey i just got a quad lets go for a rip! point of view.
oh and i know better now

That fact that it is groomed, has only sled tracks and no big ruts from quads running up and down it should be far more obvious than the signage on the trees or posts. You do not mistake a sled trail for a quad trail. And within 50 ft when you sink up to the axles and leave big ruts you realize you are destroying a perfect sled trail. There is only one explanation for anyone continuing beyond that point - they simply don't care who will use the trail after them.

If it was paved, had a posted speed limit, and had lines painted in yellow and white, you would assume its a _____________. Not hard to fill in the blank, unless you are saying that quadders can't figure it out.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering maybe the guy's that rutted it up have sleds (with trail passes) & quads and thought it was time to try out the quad,since sledding is almost done anyways???
If there is 2 or more feet of snow beside the trail why can't your snowmobile just ride in that to avoid the ruts, i ride both and sleds are most fun making a trail anyways?? Don't get me wrong here i do agree they maybe should have stayed off the trail in the first place, but at the same time we should all try to get along and work things out, hell we should even be able to ride quads and snowmachines on the same trail together(in winter when everything is frozen solid).
The name here is Snow and Mud, so we should not be wanting to beat on each other.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering maybe the guy's that rutted it up have sleds (with trail passes) & quads and thought it was time to try out the quad,since sledding is almost done anyways???
If there is 2 or more feet of snow beside the trail why can't your snowmobile just ride in that to avoid the ruts, i ride both and sleds are most fun making a trail anyways?? Don't get me wrong here i do agree they maybe should have stayed off the trail in the first place, but at the same time we should all try to get along and work things out, hell we should even be able to ride quads and snowmachines on the same trail together(in winter when everything is frozen solid).
The name here is Snow and Mud, so we should not be wanting to beat on each other.

Pretty sure they don't have sleds because I live in a small community and the cabin I look after I basically know everyone who signs in at the cabin and I know the dipsh.ts that signed in and I know they don't have sleds!!Oh i forgot to mention they had to brag how their modded up quads chewed the sh.t out of the trail!!!!!And no sorry for doing it!!!!And my kids were along and I saw no reason for them to have to wrestle in the warm,sticky snow that is on a fairly new pipeline with lots of landmines under the snow beside the trail!!Because of these retards we had to change our ride plans and a nice short ride for the kids turned into a long one because of these a-holes screwing up the main trail!!!!I'm a quadder too but I have enough common sense and courtesy to know that it was too early for a frickin quad on the trails!!!

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure they don't have sleds because I live in a small community and the cabin I look after I basically know everyone who signs in at the cabin and I know the dipsh.ts that signed in and I know they don't have sleds!!Oh i forgot to mention they had to brag how their modded up quads chewed the sh.t out of the trail!!!!!And no sorry for doing it!!!!And my kids were along and I saw no reason for them to have to wrestle in the warm,sticky snow that is on a fairly new pipeline with lots of landmines under the snow beside the trail!!Because of these retards we had to change our ride plans and a nice short ride for the kids turned into a long one because of these a-holes screwing up the main trail!!!!I'm a quadder too but I have enough common sense and courtesy to know that it was too early for a frickin quad on the trails!!!

Don't want to start a fight here, but at least they signed in, so you or others can let them know (hopefully in a nice but firm way) that those actions are not welcome.
Also is most of (or all of it) not on PUBLIC lands that have no time restrictions placed on the trails? If so, yes they should not do it but have every legal right to do so if they choose.
Try to resolve the issue in the proper way instead of bashing there heads in and vandilizing things, nobody wins in those cases.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lucky bugger!But I bet its a matter of time before the quad numbers start to rise in the summer then the environmentalists will start complaining in the summer not only in the winter!!I love sledding in your part of the world but the long drive there sucks balls!!:beer:

Oh there's lots of quads here, it's what we do in the non-snow months (all 3 of them :D ) They just can't follow when there's no groomed trail :D

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't want to start a fight here, but at least they signed in, so you or others can let them know (hopefully in a nice but firm way) that those actions are not welcome.
Also is most of (or all of it) not on PUBLIC lands that have no time restrictions placed on the trails? If so, yes they should not do it but have every legal right to do so if they choose.
Try to resolve the issue in the proper way instead of bashing there heads in and vandilizing things, nobody wins in those cases.

Unfortunately you are right about the legality of quadders using snowmobile trails. The problem is that snowmobile clubs put a lot of time and money into making and maintaining these trails only to have someone tear them up with little regard for others who want to enjoy the trails. Previously you said that the snowmobiles should ride to the side. Do you know how hard that is to do when the trail is only a few feet wide with ruts down the middle of it? Throw in a kid as a passenger and it is almost impossible. Sleds and quads do not mix on trails even in the winter when it is frozen. As soon as there is any kind of hill the quads chew it down to the dirt and leave ruts as deep as the snow. Just go to Chambers Creek around Rocky in the winter time and see how great the riding is on quad tracks or if you are foolhardy enough try Maclean Creek west of Calgary.
I hope the ASA starts lobbying the government for those time restrictions you mention because I don't believe it will happen by itself.

Top Bottom