Quad hunting

TravisFader

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a quad to buy for the coming season, Looking for some opinions on some quads. Shaft drive a must, and 4x4. Not looking for any brand in particular, looking for opinions.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honda for reliability, almost any other brand for performance... Have 8000km on my 2006 700 kawasaki. It was the cheapest, biggest quad I could get at the time. No major repairs after 3 years of $hit and abuse.

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honda. Doesn't have a belt so you don't have to worry about it slipping. I've put 2000km on mine without any problems so far. Only been stuck once with it.

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 3 700 King Quads , 1 07 with 6400klm, 1 with 4700klm and 1 with 3400klm. Almost no problems with any of them. They have good power and seem to stand up. Thats what I found so far in my Quading days but I think my next one will be a twin cyl. just for the torque difference.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a quad to buy for the coming season, Looking for some opinions on some quads. Shaft drive a must, and 4x4. Not looking for any brand in particular, looking for opinions.

not sure but i think we have like 280 atvs in stock....whats ur fav color....

got some clean used stuff too...

give us a shout....

Terry

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com

I might be selling mine. 2005 Honda Rubicon with about 3800 problem free kms. Automatic with the option of shifting electronically if you desire, adjustable rear shocks. Not abused in any way, lady driven, kept up mechanically by hubby(mechanic).
Don't know what we would be asking for it, not 100% sure if I am selling, I am thinking of getting a Grizzly but I really like the size and reliability of the Honda, but since I am getting older the Honda is a little rough now for me and the dog.LOL

cutty72

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you, but here is what I have learned so far.

Polaris - smoothest ride, full auto 4X4
Can-Am - fastest/sportiest but no true diff lock, spendy!
kawi - V twin grunt, but goofy diff lock lever
Arctic Cat - Great ground clearance and ergos, no power steering
Suzuki - Seems like an all around "average" quad
Yami - good handling, good power, good looks, high(er) price.

I'm gonna watch this one to see what those with more experience say!

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honda. Doesn't have a belt so you don't have to worry about it slipping. I've put 2000km on mine without any problems so far. Only been stuck once with it.

ive only replaced my belt once just cuz i wanted to. have never slipped my belt, EVER! i only run 26 inch zillas though. however on smaller cc belt drive models (ex: kodiak) i dont have much good to say about them. Thats where the honda clutch design really shines.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at power steering,if hunting and slow going it really helps

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Honda's are great ,but latley they have been riding on the name "Honda" and not really keeping up with the other brands in power and features, and are still a little pricey.
Bang for your buck i would take a V-twin Kawi (i had one in '08) great bikes no problems.
Tons of power and fun go Can-Am (excpect some problems on some of the machines) bring your wallet.
Yamaha good power, good realiability, nice features, good on fuel & nice ground clearance. You can't go wrong here.
Suziki all around good bike, haven't heard of too many problems.
Not sure about Artic Cat, don't see too many out on the trails (great ground clearance).
Polaris the 800 cc and lower models have the radiator place much too low and seem to plug with mud etc. and overheat. The new XP models 550 XP and 850XP are very good i have one and have zero problems with about 1500km so far, they have fixed all there previous problems and are priced ok as well.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you, but here is what I have learned so far.

Polaris - smoothest ride, full auto 4X4
Can-Am - fastest/sportiest but no true diff lock, spendy!
kawi - V twin grunt, but goofy diff lock lever
Arctic Cat - Great ground clearance and ergos, no power steering
Suzuki - Seems like an all around "average" quad
Yami - good handling, good power, good looks, high(er) price.

I'm gonna watch this one to see what those with more experience say!

My Can-Am is hard to beat in any aspect, but yeah, a little spendy. I just bought an oil change kit today, $80 for 3 litres of oil and a filter. My '07 Arctic Cat 700 IF practically drives itself, there is no need for power steering. I will probably leave the Outlander in the trailer a lot more this year and ride the kitty.

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive only replaced my belt once just cuz i wanted to. have never slipped my belt, EVER! i only run 26 inch zillas though. however on smaller cc belt drive models (ex: kodiak) i dont have much good to say about them. Thats where the honda clutch design really shines.

I've heard that from quite a few riders with belts. But on one club ride, 3 of the atvers had to get towed back to the lot because of belts (all were Polaris). Maybe it was just a bad day.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard that from quite a few riders with belts. But on one club ride, 3 of the atvers had to get towed back to the lot because of belts (all were Polaris). Maybe it was just a bad day.

Or maybe it's cuz they were Polaris.... Ha ha jk

Travisfader when you say shaft drive do u mean a straight rear Axel or just no chain drive?

TravisFader

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just no chain. thanks for the input guys, just might have to get in touch with ya Terry

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or maybe it's cuz they were Polaris.... Ha ha jk

Travisfader when you say shaft drive do u mean a straight rear Axel or just no chain drive?

never had any issues with my popo's only ever got belt wet in rzr twice but i was damn deep too my own fault the others are fine and still kickin

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much all quads will have there ups and downs. Personally I've ridden with alot and tried dam near most of the big ones. Polaris 800/850: Nice smooth ride, with reasonable acceleration and throttle responce. Have been with belt drive the longest. Main issue, very heavy. Honda: Heavier units but built to last. If you dont mind changing gears and want a work horse then you wont regret. Yamaha Grizzly 700: Reliable, and the lightest 4x4. First bike with power steering and has good power. As for ride, its up there in smoothness with the others. Can-Am Outlander 800: Have strength issues in the chassis, but have one of the nicest/smoothest running engines in the market. Ride quality is up there, but not the leader. Visco lock, is a touchy subject. Some say its awesome, while others that push it to the limit, dont agree. As for Kawi BF 650/750, have a nice bike with good power. One down fall was their lever diff lock. Can be a pain.

Really it comes down to personal preference. Hope this helps you out.

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got a 04 Honda foreman 450 with 12,000km held wide open the whole time through mud, -40, sand and water with no problems, friends of mine have 2 400 foreman's and a foreman 450 and all of them have been bagged and all have around 7 or 8000 with minimal to no problems, another friend has a polaris sportsman with like 2000km on it and its been beaten like our Honda's and cant handle it and is broken down right now. and another friend has a 05 Yamaha grizzly that went through the same stuff as the Honda's and breaks axles all the time. i would highly recommend a Honda for reliability they aren't the best for performance but still get you where you need to go

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just no chain. thanks for the input guys, just might have to get in touch with ya Terry

I was in the same position as you last spring... I looked at all of them and decide the "best value" was the kingquad. Save your time and buy a 09 Suzuki Kingquad 750 from T&T Powersports, they've got the best price around.
Only thing that sort of sucks about them is that they have a low intake/exhaust outlet for the belt. This could be fixed with snorkels if you want. But that's about it!

Attachments

• IMG_1115.jpg
    IMG_1115.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 31

cutty72

Reaction score
I was in the same position as you last spring... I looked at all of them and decide the "best value" was the kingquad. Save your time and buy a 09 Suzuki Kingquad 750 from T&T Powersports, they've got the best price around.
Only thing that sort of sucks about them is that they have a low intake/exhaust outlet for the belt. This could be fixed with snorkels if you want. But that's about it!

Where did you get the bumper for your KQ, and do they make a rear one too?
That's been the biggest downfall that I've seen with the KQ is lack of good bumpers.

Top Bottom