quad deck on a half ton.

tjj007

Reaction score
hi guys just woundering if anyone here has but a quad deck on a half ton. With some air bags i can't see any problems but any info would be a help.

GRD

Reaction score
hi guys just woundering if anyone here has but a quad deck on a half ton. With some air bags i can't see any problems but any info would be a help.

I have seen a couple half tons with decks... Most likely you will be overweight... What kind of half ton?

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 98' Chev. shortbox Z71 with a deck on it and it sat fine and drove with no problems... I was told by a few people that I would be over weight and the fines would be huge if I ever got caught in on of those road side safety inspections... But, as far as the truck went, I had no problems with the weight.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Best thing to do is weigh your truck with you and gear and full of fuel then look at your door sticker for your GVW

GVW
Minus Your truck weight

I did this to find out that with my trailer tongue and quad in the back I'm over by about 150LBS I added air bags to level it out but that means nothing to BC DOT

You should be good with a aluminum deck and 1 light sled and thats about it the second one will put you way over

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
.... I had a Z71 w/Aluminum deck & air bags,33 gal fuel tank,2 sleds, tools,gear etc.... Loaded heavy always even when not hauling sleds.. Was way over the Top, Highmarking ! ... But that 6.5 never missed a heartbeat & never got checked, Lucky !!! :D:p:)

tjj007

Reaction score
its an 05 silverado crew cab z71. i've hauled one quad and pulled a 18ft camper no problem. So i thought 2 quads and a deck should be ok with air bags. not going too far maybe an hour or two to get out and play in the mud. If nothing else i guess i could leave the wifes quad at home. Ya right that won't fly.

van isle

Reaction score
I Have a 07 tundra long box . I use a diamondback cover to haul my two quads on the truck as they are lighter then a sled deck . I also have air bags and 10 ply tires but those where for towing the TT but help with the much higher center of gravity and added weight of the quads.

I have talk to the highway department when I took my toy hauler to the scales by Leduc to check my weights and for some reason they think the new tundra is a 3/4 ton . they just looked to see what tires i was using and said everything looks good . I have not been weighed or stopped in BC all though i just came back from a 10 day trip all the way out too the Island . I even passed a ( CVSE truck i think is what they are called in BC ) on the highway by Kamloops and he never blinked an eye .

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
murminator is right. take your vehicle to a weigh station. your gvwr minus your actual truck weight is what you can legally haul. If you get lucky and only get pulled over, you will get a fine. Get in an accident, your fault or not, good luck, a fine is the least of your problems as the insurance co. definitely likes to disallow claims, now your screwed. Besides your brakes are good for a certain weight, get a trailer and don't be stupid. Stupid stuff usually culls the herd though, along with the innocent bystanders.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2000 dodge ram half ton with bags and hauled two full size quads (500 rubicons) and towed a 20 foot travel trailer and never had a problem it only had a 5.2l under the hood. the dot followed me one day and never pulled me over with bags it looks like its a 3/4 ton as long as you have the power to pull at highway speed you should be good. and besides it legal till you get got:D

GRD

Reaction score
The issue is not if the truck can do it, but is it safe.:nono: 1/2 tons, even if they have the bags and look like they are a 3/4 ton still don't have the required accessories (ie: brakes) for the weight...:( imdoo'n you make a very good point!

van isle

Reaction score
It's not that i want to get into a pissing match about trucks . but I can't run a smaller tire and rim then an 18" as the brakes on the front of my tundra are huge . I did not even get the factory big brake set that would make me run 20"s . Because of the 16" rotor and 8 piston caliper instead of the 14.6" rotor and 4 piston caliper .

This being said the only reason i don't like hauling both quads on the truck at once is because of the idea of a trip being cut short . After being pulled over weighed and found to be over weight a 1000 km from home . I'm not sure what would happen then . Would they make you unload and call a tow truck . or tell you to go home and give you a fine ? Has any one been caught over weight here or in BC ?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
As stated before, the cost of an accident and the insurance company fighting you for being responsible (by being overweight) should make anyone think twice.
Of course, being asked to unload quads/sleds on the side of the road because your overweight would really ruin your day.
True Story, lady friend (and her 3 kids) was on the way from Calgary to Edmonton hauling overweight trailer on a 1/2 ton. Wind pushes her into the ditch and she rolls the whole thing 3 times. Insurance fighters them on it and after 3 years they were only covered for the truck....$35000.00 trailer not covered.

It's not that i want to get into a pissing match about trucks . but I can't run a smaller tire and rim then an 18" as the brakes on the front of my tundra are huge . I did not even get the factory big brake set that would make me run 20"s . Because of the 16" rotor and 8 piston caliper instead of the 14.6" rotor and 4 piston caliper .

This being said the only reason i don't like hauling both quads on the truck at once is because of the idea of a trip being cut short . After being pulled over weighed and found to be over weight a 1000 km from home . I'm not sure what would happen then . Would they make you unload and call a tow truck . or tell you to go home and give you a fine ? Has any one been caught over weight here or in BC ?

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The whole point of this topic is weather it`s safe or not.... A half ton that is over loaded with two quads and a deck can get through the system for years without ever being pulled over or caught. The biggest problem is if you were ever to be in a collision where to police had to respond or even worse, there were injurys the fact of the matter is you would be fined, charged and held liable as you insurance company would sue you for all costs. So, as far as I see it you only have two choices.. Buy a bigger truck or a trailer... Just me two cents....

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
and as for the dots. an old trucker once told me that he would rather have three sisters that were whores than 1 brother who was a dot.
so i doubt they will be easy on you. also ther is a crackdown of sorts going on this weekend. The dots will be doing spot check on vehicles as part of a crackdown. so be aware
Rusty

van isle

Reaction score
Not saying that it has never happened but if insurance companies start to deny claims because they are over weight vehicles then the first ones in trouble will be mini Vans as most have less then 1000 lbs of pay load . Theres not many family's of 6 or7 that are less then 1000lbs if they have teenagers , luggage or towing a holiday trailer . Sorry for going a little of topic .

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems like someone just doesn't get it? Your half ton is only rated for a certain weigh, If in doubt, it's posted on your drivers door frame. It list's your maximum weight you can put in you truck. GVW, Weigh your truck subtract this from GVW. this is max you can haul. please if this is to fast, please let me know? You cannot believe the stupidity. Air bags will not help this number, Bigger brakes neither, nor more power, you cannot be this stupid.

Please.

You really cannot be telling us you are on the road driving these overloaded POS ?

Polarisrider please put brain in gear before mouth flapping starts.

Getr'done beers! oh! on me

dragonlady

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my last quad and it was loaded in the back of my 08, F150 the truck dropped quite a bit, something I never knoticed with my scrambler, At that moment I was shocked at the difference, once it was loaded I then asked, if this dropped this much then I would not be able to put a deck on, the guy said no, no ,no, that won't work. So I had some thinking to do since I just bought a heavier quad and have sleds comming this fall. And want a deck or a trailer to haul my toys around. So I went and traded the F150 for a 350 SD. Wise decision that with homework I would have saved a few thousand dollors of...not knowing and bought the right truck from the start. Be smart,

Top Bottom