Quad Cab Vs. Mega Cab

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at selling my 3/4 ton GMC and downsizing to a 1/2 ton. I have a Freightliner FL60 to pull my toyhauler, so all I need a pickup for is to basically to act as a grocery getter. I am looking at some used Dodges. A couple of quad cabs, and a Mega cab. I can pick up a 2006 Mega cab, Hemi, nicely loaded but no leather, 110,000km for $17,000. The quad cabs I am looking at are basically the same load, mileage, but a little more $$$. Sounds good but I have never even set foot in a Mega cab, are they a descent truck?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at selling my 3/4 ton GMC and downsizing to a 1/2 ton. I have a Freightliner FL60 to pull my toyhauler, so all I need a pickup for is to basically to act as a grocery getter. I am looking at some used Dodges. A couple of quad cabs, and a Mega cab. I can pick up a 2006 Mega cab, Hemi, nicely loaded but no leather, 110,000km for $17,000. The quad cabs I am looking at are basically the same load, mileage, but a little more $$$. Sounds good but I have never even set foot in a Mega cab, are they a descent truck?

My ext cab GMC has more or the same room as a crew cab dodge, I drove a Mega cab the other day... it has my vote! All 4 doors should be this way IMO.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on what your needs/wants are...If you are looking for a bit of extra room the megacab is definitely the way to go...Your back seat passengers will be glad you choose it..lol.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 quad cab. I kick my own a$$ everytime i get the kids in the back seat. THERE IS NO ROOM BACK THERE. Kids will try to use the back of the seat to put there feet on, 6' guy back there knees in the back seat. that be my opinion

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go with the mega cab.......ALL DAY the quad cab is chit, i had to got to the mountains in the back on one of those trucks and NEVER AGAIN

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends if you'll use the back seat a lot. I am by no means short and I have no problem in the back of a dodge quad cab. I would rather be in one then a mega cab with the regular SLT seats, because they are so hard and uncomfortable to the point I can't even sit on them anymore, the leather isn't as bad though. Also remember, the mega cab is 18" longer then the quad cab short box, something to consider. The new crew cab is the best of both worlds. The mega cab is just to big IMO, the space behind the rear seats isn't good for much and makes the truck so long, the crew cab has the same leg room as the mega cab to.

bounce_manca

Reaction score
i have a quad cab dodge and love it. i looked at a mega cab, and yes there is alot of room back there but the big doors are a pain in parking lots and i would not be able to open them in the garage to get the kids out.

something to think about. also, i don't think the mega has the fold flat floor.

j

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dodge QC is better than a gm extended cab but megacab ALL the way

GMC extended cab..................Dodge Crew cab
Shoulder Rear 65.3.................................66.5
Head room rear 39.3.................................40
hip room rear 61.8................................ 65.3
leg room rear 34.3................................ 36.7

QC is alittle bigger but not worth mentioning. Not sure I would claim it a Quad Cab.

Last edited:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A mega cab is not a grocery getter and is not parking lot friendly, that's the main reason I bought my '06 ram 1500 QC over the MC because the wife has to drive it as well.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
A mega cab is not a grocery getter and is not parking lot friendly, that's the main reason I bought my '06 ram 1500 QC over the MC because the wife has to drive it as well.

HUH? NOT PARKING LOT FRIENDLY????:confused: I USE PARKING LOTS ALL THE TIME, AND I ALSO GET GROCERIES QUITE OFTEN..... NO WORSE THAN MY OLD '04 F350 CREW CAB.......:)

IT WILL ALL COME DOWN TO YOU TEST DRIVING BOTH VEHICLES AND TRY THEM WITH YOUR FAMILY AND EVEN TRY PARKING LOTS AND WHEREVER EVERYONE IS SAYING A "MEGACAB" WON'T FIT(I STILL DON'T GET THAT?)........THE MEGA ISN'T THAT MUCH LONGER THAN A QC......NOW IF IT HAD A LONGBOX, THAT WOULD BE ANOTHER STORY, AND I WISH MINE HAD ONE!!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 39ft for a QC and 52ft for a MC not "quite" the same, but too each his own, my wife disliked it so I didn't buy it.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 39ft for a QC and 52ft for a MC not "quite" the same, but too each his own, my wife disliked it so I didn't buy it.

2009 2500 4x4 mega cab turns 49.7 with a wheel base of 160.5 and a 2009 2500 QC 4x4 turns 47.5 feet with a 140.5 wheelbase. MC does very well IMO at 20inchs longer on the wheel base.Not sure where you got 52 feet but thats allittle off. I got this info off Dodge.com

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
2009 2500 4x4 mega cab turns 49.7 with a wheel base of 160.5 and a 2009 2500 qc 4x4 turns 47.5 feet with a 140.5 wheelbase. Mc does very well imo at 20inchs longer on the wheel base.not sure where you got 52 feet but thats allittle off. I got this info off dodge.com

thanks, i thought he was way off, but didn't know where to look...... Thanks!

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2009 2500 4x4 mega cab turns 49.7 with a wheel base of 160.5 and a 2009 2500 QC 4x4 turns 47.5 feet with a 140.5 wheelbase. MC does very well IMO at 20inchs longer on the wheel base.Not sure where you got 52 feet but thats allittle off. I got this info off Dodge.com

Thanks...Those numbers sound alot closer then 39 and 52??? I drive both a Megacab and a quadcab and can say that being behind the wheel of both I never noticed any diff in the steering radius...Maybe a little easier to park the Quad in tight places but thats just due to the length (20" shorter). I still think the Megacab is the way to go if you are going to have passengers in the back...but like Summitric said try both out and get what feels right to you.

Top Bottom