Chevy vs. Dodge 1/2 tons

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love my new Ram 1500. My dad loved it so much he bought the same truck in a different colour.

The new 5 link is a great ride, only thing I'm a little dissappointed in is the lower ride hieght on the front end, they dropped it about 2" lower than previous models. I plan on getting a levelling kit to bump it back up, not a big deal but that's about the only thing that suffered IMO.

I wouldn't get a console model either (MO), I still love the bench front and it has way more room than the console models (have 2 buddies with the same truck in the console version). We have way more storage in the bench. Cab size will be up to you, we have the quadcab, the crew is bigger obviously but I very rarely have anyone in the back, I opted for the longer box and less cab space. It's not bad IMO for space. Dodge has some really nice features like the in-dash 120 V outlet, double factory trailer light plug-ins (fully moulded/integrated 4 pin and 7 pin outlets) etc that really sets things apart. That's what I noticed was the biggest things that set them apart from the others IMO.

I'm getting about 16 mpg in the city right now, I get about 19-20 on the highway, and about 12-14 towing 3 sleds. Some douche in a little suped up rice rocket was pissing me off the other day so I finally had enough and smoked his ass at the next light, he was trying really hard to impress his buddy in the passenger seat and got his ass waxed. Hemi power is really nice for that kind of stuff just make sure you get a decent rear end ratio.

Those are my thoughts.

I'll tell ya kids...I was really leaning towards another GM. Sierra 1500 Crew 4x4 SLT, leather, sunroof, Bose, 5.3, 6 speed....same as my old rig (except the 6 speed). BUT (dammit) I test drove a 2011 Dodge Sport today. Well....ol Mopar has been doing their homework. Nicer ride than the Chev, waaaay faster (not even close really), nicer interior, heated and cooled seats, all the goodies Modman mentions....wow. Similar in price. After some back and forth the Dodge would end up being about 1500 less for a 2011 over the price of a similar Sierra 2010. I'm sooo confused now!!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well....the deal breaker might just be the trade-in value. I found the GM with all the goodies I want including box rails and step bars....the Dodge did not come with these items. The GM guys came down in price to about the same as the Mopar, plus offered me 2500 more for my trade-in. Just came in from the garage, removed my aftermarket deck, subs, amps...daaaam they bury that stuff in there!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge hands down is way better and mileage is not bad either. Half a tank from Calgary to Whitefish, MT... almost 5 hrs driving.

I calculated mileage when it was almost new and driving on highways at about 110-120 I got 20.5MPG. I know it's improved since for sure.
I also started running 89 Octane (as recommended) and mileage increased and power increased noticeably also.
I went with the SXT version with 3.92 rear diff as it has everything I need and the price was a lot better.

Attachments

• IMG00011-20100403-1152.jpg
    IMG00011-20100403-1152.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 83
Top Bottom