Pushing the limits

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off I know this is gonna get a lot of flack. But how many people are pushing the limits with their trucks ??? I started off with a 3/4t chev with a sled deck and 2 quads on top. Put 4 gerry cans of fuel and another 80l of water and generator and people and other stuff plus a holiday trailer behind and yes I believe I would be pushing the limits. Now went to a 1t single rear wheel and the above would all be ok with no worries but... One decides to switch to a bigger trailer. So the pin weight is close, and over all gvwr is close depends on where and what you read. The truck handles it no problem and I see lots of 3/4t trucks THAT I know would be over weight.. So now my lease is almost up and there is an opportunity to upgrade, but I do not want to have to upgrade to pull a trailer maybe 15 times a year.

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem so i got a 1 ton dually now i seem to have a bigger mess, now that i maxed that out, i went out and just bought 48 acres of land so i have a place to play on , i sold the trailer and bought a smaller one for day trips. But i still got the trucks so i gotta get rid of at least one of them
wanna buy one of them i got 2 1 tons , good luck i guess you need to figure out what you really need when you go out, i remeber the days of a cooler, tent and my quad , 5 gal water can and a couple tarps, in the back of a pick up , my how we get spoiled, Have fun

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats funny. Started the same way. Everything in the back of a 1/2t truck for the whole weekend. Now lets not talk about that

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem so i got a 1 ton dually now i seem to have a bigger mess, now that i maxed that out, i went out and just bought 48 acres of land so i have a place to play on , i sold the trailer and bought a smaller one for day trips. But i still got the trucks so i gotta get rid of at least one of them
wanna buy one of them i got 2 1 tons , good luck i guess you need to figure out what you really need when you go out, i remeber the days of a cooler, tent and my quad , 5 gal water can and a couple tarps, in the back of a pick up , my how we get spoiled, Have fun

Its called we all got married and the wives made us

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have loaded up the sled deck once this yr and went to the mtns, most of the time I'm empty. Pushing the limits of unnecessary I guess.......lol

And my truck is built to handle more than 99% of other 3/4's on the road. :eek:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I'm on almost the exact limits of my truck....ok maybe 300lbs over:eek: the truck handles it well no complaints I stay with traffic I know how to run the hills I even rolled the scales at golden for an RV checkstop and they checked brakes, propane bottles securment, looked at the door sticker and said have a nice day....good thing I was almost out of fuel ;)

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah That's kinda what I was wondering. Is BC sticky in the summer also with RV's ?? I have never scene a check stop for rv's in alberta

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Yeah That's kinda what I was wondering. Is BC sticky in the summer also with RV's ?? I have never scene a check stop for rv's in alberta

I've heard of bc checks 1st one I seen it was at the golden scale and they were taking everyone just random

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally couldnt agree more about some people pushing the limits like pulling a 28 to 30 foot fith wheel because its weight rated for the truck, but really its still lacking in suspension and brakes. I was in at a rv dealer with a buddy looking at a 20 foot toyhauler and i loved it then the sales man came along and asked what are you towing it with and of course i said 3/4 ton chev, first thing out of hi mouth is well you can pull this one ( pointing over at the triple axle toyhauler) turns out just a hair under my gvw. So i think its partially the salesman to blame when saying you can pull this ^^^ Oh and by the way a minivan pulling 2 rhinos is not right.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My truck is overloaded per GVW but not axle ratings so it doesn't matter. I can't see how you aren't over with a deck and trailer though. I only got my deck and 2 sleds and a bit of gear and i'm up to the GVW on my 1 ton SRW :rolleyes: The truck handles it like nothing though.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like how one gut put it. If you see a mini van filled with 6 200lbs plus adults and lugauge do they get pulled over and checked to see if they are over ??? Because you know it would be.

rare breed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i kinda went a litte different route.went and got 79 1 ton 4x4 chev with flat bed.load 4 wheelers and fuel on truck. bought light weight trailer trailer(25ft). weight rating with everything isnt close to max, even with water in trailer. everything works great. only problem is i cant get everybody in the truck.o well they can drive their on vehicles to camp site.

joeboo73

Reaction score
Don't forget to check the rating on the tires. Trucks off the lot sometimes have tires that are not rated to haul what the truck is rated for

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on pushing it with my 3/4 ton. I'll be hauling 3 sleds on the deck (one being the kids 120) and a 26ft travel trailer. I think I'll end up being about 3-400lbs over GVW by the time it's all said and done. That's with the truck and sleds full of fuel. I just try and put everything possible in the trailer. The trailer is only 4500lbs dry so 5500lbs fully loaded.

If I get grief at a scale then I guess the wife and kids will have to stay behind!

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Loaded up the old truck with everything I take camping and quadding and went to the scales, then later returned to the scales with the truck empty. I used the math to help determine what I was buying when it was time for a new truck. Give or take a meal or two, I am just under the overload limits on the truck (95 under on the front axle and 225lbs under on the rear), if it is clean. It's the travel trailer that sometimes goes over the limit.

I have also discovered that you can pick up weight with mud, snow and ice faster than you can burn off the fuel load.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Well we just upgraded from a '97 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel to a '01 Dodge 1 ton dually diesel. Bigfoot camper goes on truck, quad trailer with 3 machines behind and we are well below any weight issues. Any way, the '97 dodge will be for sale soon once we go through it mechanically and clean it up. Will post when we are ready.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Well we just upgraded from a '97 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel to a '01 Dodge 1 ton dually diesel. Bigfoot camper goes on truck, quad trailer with 3 machines behind and we are well below any weight issues. Any way, the '97 dodge will be for sale soon once we go through it mechanically and clean it up. Will post when we are ready.
Its the one on the left.

funrider

Reaction score
Hi guys I was just wondering if you need to pass through the scales in b.c./ab. if I am pulling a enclosed 4 place trailer 27' and have a sled deck with two sleds
Thanks

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I was just wondering if you need to pass through the scales in b.c./ab. if I am pulling a enclosed 4 place trailer 27' and have a sled deck with two sleds
Thanks

Where are you going to/ from ? I think they have portable scales and can just pull them out the trunk and start giving out tickets / make you leave stuff behind.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We're gonna go the way of rubirose....We've decided that once we sell the lake lot we are going to trade in the 22' trailer for a winterized truck camper.
Weight is not an issue with my truck (1989 chevy 3500 -w- 454) but arrangement usually is, I can't fit everything I want. If I had a truck camper then I'd be good...my flat deck trailer has 2 7500lb axles and will hold 4 quads, 4 dirtbikes, alluminum boat/motor & coolers

or in the winter 4 sleds....

Bogger:beer:

Top Bottom