3 Place Enclosed Sled Trailer - What would you buy?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a really heavy, super height limited enclosed trailer right now, it's old, it's heavy, but it serves the purpose, floor is starting to get soft in places and I know it's not going to last forever.

So I started kind of looking around for a 3 place V-Nose deck over enclosed, not seeing much for availability and what I am seeing is holy eff expensive.

What brands are people having good luck with? Which to avoid? Who's got a used one they are thinking of upgrading?

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I highly suggest a mid deck. My deck over is soo tall. I would prefer low profile wheel wells inside but still maintain the full width. I think mission trailers has them?

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I highly suggest a mid deck. My deck over is soo tall. I would prefer low profile wheel wells inside but still maintain the full width. I think mission trailers has them?
I wanted deck over for the no wheel wells inside but mid deck would be alright too. I want it for sleds and for hunting. There's not tonnes out there right now in new or used..... And the boss says I need to find a replacement before I sell what I have.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a theory on sled trailers. I have a deck over 3 place charmac. My buddy had a lower one with the wheels up inside.

Driving down the Crowsnest highway your definitely battling wind at times….most times and strong winds.

Both of use agree the deck over is hands down better in a cross wind. Been pulling on that highway since 92 and have had multiple trailers.

If I replaced this trailer it would be a deck over, aluminum frame with a beaver tail so the loading ramp isn’t so steep.

Last edited:

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda defies areo dynamics........
Our theory is the crosswind wind gets underneath…unlike the lower trailer it can only go overtop. Lol. Not sure but just what we’ve found over the years with 6 different enclosed trailers.

Or maybe it’s the Yamaha I have on the upwind side of the trailer making it stable.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2020 Sno Pro that will hold 3 sleds that I can also get my lifted Rhino and Argo Aurora 800 with the soft top inside it. Only thing I don't like about it is that it sits pretty high off the ground, 2 weekends ago I had to leave my truck and trailer in a hospital parking lot because of seriously high winds that were blowing over semis and enclosed trailers full of sleds, scary doesn't even begin to describe it. It's a lightweight all aluminum trailer that tows easily behind a 1/2 ton pickup.

Attachments

• Sno Pro.jpg
    Sno Pro.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Sno Pro1.jpg
    Sno Pro1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 146

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wanted deck over for the no wheel wells inside but mid deck would be alright too. I want it for sleds and for hunting. There's not tonnes out there right now in new or used..... And the boss says I need to find a replacement before I sell what I have.

When I got mine I wanted no wheel wells as well.

After a couple sled trips with others that have a low deck full width I much preferred the lower ramp angle. I seen a few mid decks where the wheel wells were only 3-4” tall inside.

I’m still going to use my deck over for lots of time to come but will switch to mid deck in the future.

I could prob sell mine for close to what I paid 6 years ago. But replacement cost is so much higher now too.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
When I got mine I wanted no wheel wells as well.

After a couple sled trips with others that have a low deck full width I much preferred the lower ramp angle. I seen a few mid decks where the wheel wells were only 3-4” tall inside.

I’m still going to use my deck over for lots of time to come but will switch to mid deck in the future.

I could prob sell mine for close to what I paid 6 years ago. But replacement cost is so much higher now too.
I've found a couple 3 place on Facebook marketplace now but the price is just...... Wow

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a legend 7x18 + 5ft vnose nice and low with the wheel wells outside the trailer. Perfect 3 place IMO.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve got a 4 place Trails West Burandt I was considering selling but to buy back into a smaller trailer is crazy.

DragonCFI

Reaction score
I have a Legend 7x18 5 foot nose also its been good. Bought it off Firefly from snowandmud he is a dealer.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got rid of my deck over. I have never pulled a trailer that size with that much resistance before. It was a Haulin 22 ft with a 4 ft V nose with the extra height for a SXS. I bought a used goose neck enclosed and could not be happier. They tow so much nicer and add good weight right over the axle. My enclosed is a flat front deck over with an 8 ft interior height and pulls way easier. My egt is down 200-300 degrees and I just use less fuel plain and simple. I am not saying all deck overs pull hard this is my experience. The first time I pulled it home I stopped to check if the brakes were adjusted to tight. So if you can pull before you buy I would. I noticed the extra effort my Cummins was using right away. Good luck!

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a theory on sled trailers. I have a deck over 3 place charmac. My buddy had a lower one with the wheels up inside.

Driving down the Crowsnest highway your definitely battling wind at times….most times and strong winds.

Both of use agree the deck over is hands down better in a cross wind. Been pulling on that highway since 92 and have had multiple trailers.

If I replaced this trailer it would be a deck over, aluminum frame with a beaver tail so the loading ramp isn’t so steep.
I've found the exact opposite. One of my riding buddies is a trailer dealer and we've pulled everything. Run I-94 / I-90 through Montana and have been in blow semis over wind. At that point, mother nature wins and you should probably just park it. Less than that, the lower deck with less overall height was always better. The only time I'd consider a deckover is if you need to access riding areas on poorly maintained roads and need the clearance.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I've found the exact opposite. One of my riding buddies is a trailer dealer and we've pulled everything. Run I-94 / I-90 through Montana and have been in blow semis over wind. At that point, mother nature wins and you should probably just park it. Less than that, the lower deck with less overall height was always better. The only time I'd consider a deckover is if you need to access riding areas on poorly maintained roads and need the clearance.
I want to use the trailer for hunting too, and some of the roads we go down to find decent camp spots with good hunting access are beyond rutted out.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've found a couple 3 place on Facebook marketplace now but the price is just...... Wow
I was in the market for an enclosed too but Fak, I bought my 2013 29' Rockwood travel trailer for under 20K a couple years ago. Absolutely crazy that I can't find a 4 place enclosed friggin sled trailer for less than that now, It's out of control. Ended up finding a non-enclosed 2-place.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I was in the market for an enclosed too but Fak, I bought my 2013 29' Rockwood travel trailer for under 20K a couple years ago. Absolutely crazy that I can't find a 4 place enclosed friggin sled trailer for less than that now, It's out of control. Ended up finding a non-enclosed 2-place.
I've got a deck on my truck and have a small trailer here I can use. Plus I have this old heavy beast of an enclosed. I'm in no rush. But if I find a good deal I'll likely jump on it

Top Bottom