Proper Resolution for a Sled Dealer Mistake?

Indy245

Reaction score
What should be the proper resolution for a dealer mistake?

Called parts department of local dealer and had parts put aside (left name and number).
Drove to dealer 150 km one way and when I got there the parts had already been sold to another customer. I was told the parts person is new and made a mistake. I was offered no resolution at this point so I ask for the manager. The manager is not in so I leave my number. The manager calls and apologizes and offers a 15% discount. (I receive a discount regardless as I bought my sled new from this dealer.) The fact that I drove 150k one way and wasted over 3.5 hours of my time is not lost on the manager but says he can do nothing further.

No sledding for me this weekend due to this screw-up.

I feel like a whiner but a $9 discount on my parts is like a kick to the junk. I did expect something to cover my time and fuel (hat, dvd, toque, bigger discount, etc) but was basically told to P!$$ off. (I was polite)

I don't feel like mentioning the dealer or the manager but I might put a complaint in with the corporate office of this dealer.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sucks man. This stuff happens everyday in all retail business not just the sled segment. Keep looking until you find a dealer that will take care of you I guess.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
myself, I would have paid for the parts and had them put in a box with my name on it. that way you would have a leg to stand on if they weren't there when you got there. unless it's a small dealer and you personally know who you are talking to and vice versa, I would have done everything I could to ensure they were my parts. sh!tty deal tho

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: How cold is too cold?

I would be pissed too. And with nothing but a sorry for your luck offered I would be taking my business elsewhere. They should have offered to take the parts off a new unit if they had one available IMO.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After talking with a dealer manager what would be the next step to lodge a complaint against a dealer.
There is nothing? The manufacturer has no ties to the transaction. Keep it in house and deal with the manager or owner.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am guessing there is some thing going on I got "modded" out on the cycle works thread too. I thought it was a legitimate question?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am guessing there is some thing going on I got "modded" out on the cycle works thread too. I thought it was a legitimate question?
This chap never named a dealer or manager so don't know why he edited his post? Nothing incriminating?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: How cold is too cold?

I would be pissed too. And with nothing but a sorry for your luck offered I would be taking my business elsewhere. They should have offered to take the parts off a new unit if they had one available IMO.

Fawk that. That is shady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Indy245

Reaction score
Tried posting another thread and somehow erased my original one. Replaced.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
myself, I would have paid for the parts and had them put in a box with my name on it. that way you would have a leg to stand on if they weren't there when you got there. unless it's a small dealer and you personally know who you are talking to and vice versa, I would have done everything I could to ensure they were my parts. sh!tty deal tho

My thoughts aswell. Seems very common now a days no matter where you go if you want it done right do it your self. In this case I think more could have been done like mentioned to ensure your parts were there. Yes it's sad but unfortunately the way it is it seems.

Indy245

Reaction score
My thoughts aswell. Seems very common now a days no matter where you go if you want it done right do it your self. In this case I think more could have been done like mentioned to ensure your parts were there. Yes it's sad but unfortunately the way it is it seems.

In hindsight I agree, at the time it seemed alright.

More pissed about not sledding this weekend than anything else. I'm not sure how far to take this, I would be embarrassed if this dealer represented my company.

Last edited:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's really frustrating....is the manager that you talked to the owner? If not, it may help to escalate to that level if the manager is not meeting your satisfaction.

New employee or not, it WAS THEIR screw up.....they offered to put the parts aside for you......and because those parts were given to someone else is not your fault regardless of their "in house" rules. They then should have offered to take the parts from a new sled as someone mentioned but if that was not possible because they have none.....then some sort of "special treatment" would be expected via management. Perhaps the manager does not have the authority to go beyond the discount he offered (I have trouble believing that though).
You need to let the owner know all the details and state that a 15% discount (that you already get) does not satisfy you in this situation. If nothing better is offered, remind them that there are other dealers (of course he knows this). I am willing to bet that something more will be offered once you explain your situation as long as you keep your cool, stay rational and don't go in there yelling and screaming.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been on both sides of the counter for these situations, its a ****ty deal, a well organized parts counter with communication between the parts techs is the only answer or pre pay the parts when you call. my 14 freeride had a cracked tit on the oil pump and it was noticed the night before we left to the hills, I brought the sled to my dealer that night and they had it in the shop as soon as i got there but didnt get it done for the next day, I walked in about a hour before we were supposed to leave on our trip and the owner tossed me the key to a 163 SP demo and said it was the least he could do, i was more then impressed being it was only the 3rd time I had ever been to the dealer. Not to hijack but huge shout out to doo in wainwright for saving my trip.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been on both sides of the counter for these situations, its a ****ty deal, a well organized parts counter with communication between the parts techs is the only answer or pre pay the parts when you call. my 14 freeride had a cracked tit on the oil pump and it was noticed the night before we left to the hills, I brought the sled to my dealer that night and they had it in the shop as soon as i got there but didnt get it done for the next day, I walked in about a hour before we were supposed to leave on our trip and the owner tossed me the key to a 163 SP demo and said it was the least he could do, i was more then impressed being it was only the 3rd time I had ever been to the dealer. Not to hijack but huge shout out to doo in wainwright for saving my trip.
Team Sidehill are good guys. Eddie and Kevin sidehilling an Alpine in a hotel lobby years ago at a dealer meeting with rums in there hand. Lmao!! Still laugh about that one.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's really frustrating....is the manager that you talked to the owner? If not, it may help to escalate to that level if the manager is not meeting your satisfaction.

New employee or not, it WAS THEIR screw up.....they offered to put the parts aside for you......and because those parts were given to someone else is not your fault regardless of their "in house" rules. They then should have offered to take the parts from a new sled as someone mentioned but if that was not possible because they have none.....then some sort of "special treatment" would be expected via management. Perhaps the manager does not have the authority to go beyond the discount he offered (I have trouble believing that though).
You need to let the owner know all the details and state that a 15% discount (that you already get) does not satisfy you in this situation. If nothing better is offered, remind them that there are other dealers (of course he knows this). I am willing to bet that something more will be offered once you explain your situation as long as you keep your cool, stay rational and don't go in there yelling and screaming.

Taking parts off a new sled is a no no!!!:nono: ain't that right Maxwell!! lol

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Taking parts off a new sled is a no no!!!:nono: ain't that right Maxwell!! lol

thats only my opinion. i wouldnt appreciate my new sled being a parts whore. but obviously there are people that dont agree with me and i dont care. if you need parts that bad. be more organized

Top Bottom