prince george sledders take a hit on global bc this morning

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Still boggles my mind......... In all my years sleddin' in the mountains, i have never seen a mountain caribou or wolf or any other wildlife, except for a snow lynx and moose in the mountains......... We did see caribou tracks up over morning glory in trout lake once, many years ago, but that was it......... If anything affected the mobility of caribou and wolves, i would look at and blame logging roads and logging cutblocks etc, more than sleds and sled trails.......... Or am i wrong in thinking that??

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are right summitric... just try and prove it. Best way is leaving the tropy open to sledding. Oh and you forgot to mention those little pika tracks or what ever they are, what do they eat other than snow?

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ran into an old cougar in silent pass a few weeks ago. just layin on the trail. hadn't ever seen wildlife in the mtn. areas before.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to say that we have seen herds of caribou but they sure aren't scared of us on our sleds. In fact, they will stand and watch you and their demeanor is they actually don't give a fawk. Bring in a swooping, loud assed chopper and that's a different story! They run hard to the point of sheer exhaustion. Every newscast showing our "thrill-seeking sport" has at least some footage from a chopper filming the caribou running scared for their lives. Imagine this happening more and more frequently due to the MOE enforcements and the heli-ski outfits. In my mind none of this makes sense. But the closures are there like it or not....and they should be respected. By sledders going into closed areas it ruins all the efforts put forth by club volunteers that fight for our areas....

And this area in question is actually the Torpy-McGregor. I have heard it called the three Torpy's in the past but I'm pretty sure the Torpy range consists of three areas called the Burn (which is open) the Sande (partially open) and the Dell (closed).

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you where shot with a gun from a helicopter and a collar put on you would run like hell too. The first torpy is at the burn, the other one is on the right 10k farther down (or so) and the last is at the end of that road.

Kranked

Reaction score
Kranked your from pg and have not road all 3 torpy's.. what the heck. Of coarse you can't now
No I haven't lived here for too long. I've been up the burn and around there, that's the only area I've got a chance to ride.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Nothing against loggers, but have you seen the difference even at Clemina of the valleys and all the logging today versus in the early 80's? I was digging through some old pics I had taken in the 80's overlooking the clemina cabin with the valleys full of trees.....have a look today, the difference is staggering. Good thing the tree huggers can't see it from the highway!!!!!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still boggles my mind......... In all my years sleddin' in the mountains, i have never seen a mountain caribou or wolf or any other wildlife, except for a snow lynx and moose in the mountains......... We did see caribou tracks up over morning glory in trout lake once, many years ago, but that was it......... If anything affected the mobility of caribou and wolves, i would look at and blame logging roads and logging cutblocks etc, more than sleds and sled trails.......... Or am i wrong in thinking that??

What they never want to tell you is that, for the most part, Caribou don't die in the winter. They get eaten in the summer. Nothing to do with snowmobiles. Unfortunately the truth isn't sensational enough for the media.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mileage is other spot i have seen caribou, lots of sledders there. I guess those caribou have not read the reports either.... good to keep this area open to. It might one day add to the proof.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mileage is other spot i have seen caribou, lots of sledders there. I guess those caribou have not read the reports either.... good to keep this area open to. It might one day add to the proof.

Last year when the road washed out between Prince George and McBride the cariboo were standing not ten feet from the construction site and all its goings-on beside the highway; Mamas,babies and all. Should we move the highway now too? Cariboo are highly nomadic and will roam freely wherever they damn well please. Banning sledders isn't the answer...

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to say that we have seen herds of caribou but they sure aren't scared of us on our sleds. In fact, they will stand and watch you and their demeanor is they actually don't give a fawk. Bring in a swooping, loud assed chopper and that's a different story! They run hard to the point of sheer exhaustion. Every newscast showing our "thrill-seeking sport" has at least some footage from a chopper filming the caribou running scared for their lives. Imagine this happening more and more frequently due to the MOE enforcements and the heli-ski outfits. In my mind none of this makes sense. But the closures are there like it or not....and they should be respected. By sledders going into closed areas it ruins all the efforts put forth by club volunteers that fight for our areas....

Well said! You are absolutely right. Any chance you want to make the TV station news department aware of this?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen a lone caribou near purden, and also a cougar near the same place.. really surprising to me. I still wonder what his main menu is.. at purden!!. I have also seen caribou in non restricted area..kazakhstan or very close to that..i think. Or it maybe it was just a dream.

Last edited:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year when the road washed out between Prince George and McBride the cariboo were standing not ten feet from the construction site and all its goings-on beside the highway; Mamas,babies and all. Should we move the highway now too? Cariboo are highly nomadic and will roam freely wherever they damn well please. Banning sledders isn't the answer...

Hey SledMamma! Thought you were out sledding today? lol

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of riders here that ride where they want to. They don't care.
Although not to this area specifically, I'm heading to PG tomorrow for some sledding.
I really wonder if this was intentional or if these guys just were not aware of the area closure.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's a snow Lynx?

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Although not to this area specifically, I'm heading to PG tomorrow for some sledding.
I really wonder if this was intentional or if these guys just were not aware of the area closure.

Well, I don't like to stir up too much chit....but....this closed area in question is at least 10 miles PAST the open area at the Burn. So, ummmmm, yeah I would have to say that it is intentional. These closures have been in place since 2009.

Lots of riders here that ride where they want to. They don't care.

I agree Riverjet, and it's not a matter of self policing ourselves on this issue. Some of these guys ride where they want at all costs.

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But it keeps us sledders away from where the skiers play

Top Bottom