British Columbia and the future of sledding needs your help

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive been working at the snowmobile show for a few years now. in the last 3 years i have sold maybe 3-5 standalone club memberships. sold many seasons passes which does include the 26$ bcsf membership. 100% of those people obviously plan to ride this particular area to make their seasons pass worth the $. but 75% (random guess) of the other people that i talk to did not want to spend that money on a seasons pass because they did not know whether they would get out that much in that particular area to justify the seasons pass. Fair enough makes complete sense but to those people i say please buy a membership for ANY club in BC. if your not a seasons pass holder somewhere bottom line is you need to be at a minimum a club member for us to survive as a sport. if you can afford to snowmobile you can afford the 30$ to belong to any of the BC snowmobile clubs regardless of any perks or incentives which is a very common question. Well heres your incentive you get to keep your riding areas. good enough? i dont know? maybe we could give out maps of all the areas we USED to be able to ride in and provide a map of the future if you dont start being proactive with your precious 30$. we are a growing sport in a shrinking playing field which leads people to break boundaries.

and they make it so hard now adays too. couple clicks and done. dont even have to leave your house. like my premium tinder account costs more money and sledding gives me way more enjoyment than that.

Home - BC Snowmobile Federation
Your using Tinder wrong.

Kids at work were "showing" me how it works, not even fair.

Definitely missed out on that era.
That would be illegal, and probably unconstitutional. Contrary to what many people may think, management agreements don't give clubs exclusive access to crown land. They only give us the right to charge a user fee for improvements the club has made to that crown land, ie: grooming. Government is pretty specific about what we can and can't do. That would, and should, definately be a no-go.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way I see it is a daypass covers the cost of your day ie. the grooming of the trail, parking lot plowing, and cabin maintenance. It is the absolute bare bones and if you want to support the club buy a membership.
But why let people use the infrastructure if they don't support the sport?

SnoFox

Reaction score
Bump - Home - BC Snowmobile Federation

Thanks maxwell, think we could see this link more often. Thanks everyone for the great perspectives, I too will be renewing my membership this year, there were a couple that I didn't 'get around to it'. Not many groomed trails this far north, but I'm wondering if there should be a fee tacked on the trail passes for the BCSF that could be deducted by showing a membership...

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy an annual membership to the Eagle Valley Snowmobile Club every year for the past 8 seasons. Went to BCSF website today to purchase a BCSF pass also but it looks like there is no link for that club. Is the BCSF registration included with my club membership? Thanks

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1446962637396.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1446962662272.jpg

For the non Facebook folk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy an annual membership to the Eagle Valley Snowmobile Club every year for the past 8 seasons. Went to BCSF website today to purchase a BCSF pass also but it looks like there is no link for that club. Is the BCSF registration included with my club membership? Thanks
It's under Sicamous.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But why let people use the infrastructure if they don't support the sport?

Because if you limit their access to managed areas they will ride closure areas.

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's under Sicamous.

Nope. Its listed as Eagle Valley just wasn't sure if the BCSF registration was something separate from the local clubs but I clicked on a few of the links on the site and figured it out. Thanks

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because if you limit their access to managed areas they will ride closure areas.
No access would be limited, you would just have to pay more for the same access.

You think people would ride controlled areas less because $2 per pass is added to support the BCSF? Or a $30 BCSF membership?

Trails passes are less than a 12 pack of beer.

The government is forever jacking up taxes on liquor.

I don't see any less people drinking.

Or that many more people brewing their own.

Bottom line is more funding needs to find its way to the BCSF.

If it's left up to people to buy voluntary memberships the out come will not be what is needed.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just reading this for a second time....

So a snowmobile club like revy couldn't say that as a prerequisite to someone purchasing a trail pass they must hold a $30 BCSF membership??

How is that illegal?

It's illegal because it becomes exclusive access for BCSF members only. We don't have exclusive access to crown land. We only have the right to charge a user fee for improvements.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's illegal because it becomes exclusive access for BCSF members only. We don't have exclusive access to crown land. We only have the right to charge a user fee for improvements.
Could a portion of the day pass go to the BCSF? Say add $2 per pass?

Still illegal?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how do we go about getting all the sled clubs onboard with this?

Good question. Get it on the agenda of the next BCSF AGM would be a start I guess. Not sure it'll go anywhere after that, but it's worth a try.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd get behind it if anyone knows how to get this moving. Let me know how to help out.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen groups such as Valhalla stop pipelines and stuff. Sledding is where a guy has to draw the line.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So how do we go about getting all the sled clubs onboard with this?

Good question. Get it on the agenda of the next BCSF AGM would be a start I guess. Not sure it'll go anywhere after that, but it's worth a try.

We (BCSF Directors) talk about it constantly and try very hard to get new members and new clubs. It is a lot deeper than many think it is or should be. Some of the clubs stay independent because they feel that $26/member is too much money...............go figure?

It is a work in progress with the BCSF but it is very time consuming.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We (BCSF Directors) talk about it constantly and try very hard to get new members and new clubs. It is a lot deeper than many think it is or should be. Some of the clubs stay independent because they feel that $26/member is too much money...............go figure?

It is a work in progress with the BCSF but it is very time consuming.

Yup, it's probably a non-starter. Tough enough getting people to buy a day pass without raising the price.

Top Bottom