Ported track closures

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well, IMHO, everybody should buy themselves a special Xmas present! I ordered Track Port Plugs from Mountain Magic Sports and installed them today.

With the air riveter, installation was a breeze; only a 2 Corona job!

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 383

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Explain to me the benefits? Im not understanding why you close them off, I thought it was a weight saving thing?

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Explain to me the benefits? Im not understanding why you close them off, I thought it was a weight saving thing?

Yeah whats up with that......last year everybody was burning holes in their tracks and now your supposed to plug them??

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
better flotation

X2 and less snow in the skid so the sled is not supposed to be as heavy from the snow loading.

I read somewhere that the high markers were going another 100' further with a closed track! Don't know if it is true and I don't really care, I just want better floatation in the trees.

The 2011 Doo's have non-ported tracks.....go figure!
:xmas2004_15::happyholidayswreath:xmas2004_15:

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^ haha i like it! Ive seen so many threads and discussions about the porting issue, theres so many variables, pros cons who effin knows

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know what's gonna happen now? There gonna stop making holes in snowshoes. Man your track is spining so fast it doesn't matter. It was a matter of saving money in the manufacturing plant and was a great sales gimmick.:d:d

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, IMHO, everybody should buy themselves a special Xmas present! I ordered Track Port Plugs from Mountain Magic Sports and installed them today.

With the air riveter, installation was a breeze; only a 2 Corona job!

what was the cost for track port plugs

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
what was the cost for track port plugs

from Idaho to Eureka, MT $15 shipping/handling, $4 storage/handling in Eureka, $75/package of 60 closures/steel rivets/washers.

Got lucky at the border and there were no taxes which was sweet!

I tested it last night and it was soooo much better in the deep......just saying

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know what's gonna happen now? There gonna stop making holes in snowshoes. Man your track is spining so fast it doesn't matter. It was a matter of saving money in the manufacturing plant and was a great sales gimmick.:d:d

agreed. at 60 - 80 kph track speed there is no way the snow has any chance to get past the lugs and through the track. only time i can see non ported tracks having a viable benefit it when in the trees with little or no track spin, or when stopping and starting...

ridndirty

Reaction score
the closures are for repairing the Damage BRP did to your track right at the factory. By now everyone knows that square holes dont work. You install the port plugs to cover the squares with the plugs, then you can customize your porting with the tried and true 1 1/4 round holes!

Dino

Reaction score
agreed. at 60 - 80 kph track speed there is no way the snow has any chance to get past the lugs and through the track. only time i can see non ported tracks having a viable benefit it when in the trees with little or no track spin, or when stopping and starting...
When in the trees or when stopping and starting....basically the only time I struggle....XP track holes are way too big. I agree with the 1.25 holes and only two holes , not three , down the middle. Porting to me just relieves track tension allowing the track to turn free-er = less power needed to rotate the track. Dino

Top Bottom