How will EV change back-country snowmobiling?

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Swear I saw an ad on TV for a stand up electric snowmobile that martin motorsports sells ?

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far according to Hoovies garage the cold hasn't been nice to the Ford lightning ... Cold + towing you might be lucky to make it down the block and back ....
EV sled would be nice but likely many hurdles yet before it warrants consideration....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

pommie_git

Reaction score
Ev sleds are a decade away at least. No where near the energy density in current battery tech.
A 75kwh Tesla model 3 battery is the equivalent energy of about 9 litres of gas.

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PositionNameDivisionNumberVehicleTime
1Robin ShuteUnlimited492018 Wolf TSC-FS10:09.525
2David DonnerExhibition0002022 Porsche Turbo S10:34.053
3David DonohueTime Attack 1592019 Porsche GT2 RS Clubsport10:35.830
4Codie VahsholtzOpen Wheel182013 Ford Open10:38.259
5Derek BoydUnlimited722008 Mitsubishi Evo X10:43.511
6Rhys MillenPikes Peak Open672016 E-Motion Porsche GT3R TT10:52.664
7Jeff ZwartTime Attack 1112019 Porshe 935/1910:58.928
8Rod MillenUnlimited11998 Toyota Tacoma11:06.152
9Dai YoshiharaExhibition892018 Tesla Model 311:06.205
10Paul DallenbachOpen Wheel982020 Sierra Alpha11:06.387
2022 Pikes Peak results. Got to love the the internet for accurate info

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ev sleds are a decade away at least. No where near the energy density in current battery tech.
A 75kwh Tesla model 3 battery is the equivalent energy of about 9 litres of gas.

Supposedly 2026 for BRP and Taiga's already exist at 180hp and reasonable weights.

While I agree a competitive mountain sled will require the next generation of battery tech, were pretty much there already for some uses. Fleets for sled tours and utility use at ski resorts, etc. Quiet, no smell, reduced maintenance. Small segment, but it will help fund the next generation.
Also, I think you will see them in hill climb racing. Good for r&d, and range is low priority.

When comparing the energy density of gasoline to electric, you must also compare the efficiency of the drivetrain. In cars, ICE's are in the 30% efficiency range while EV's are more along the lines of 80%. While you're correct that there is roughly 75kWh of energy in 9 litres of gasoline, factor in the efficiency of an EV and it is equivalent to 24 litres of gasoline.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Electric sleds… isn’t that old tech already. They just released mini reactors a week ago, this is what is required for electrification

I’ll stick with gas… it’s cheap and works

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Supposedly 2026 for BRP and Taiga's already exist at 180hp and reasonable weights.

While I agree a competitive mountain sled will require the next generation of battery tech, were pretty much there already for some uses. Fleets for sled tours and utility use at ski resorts, etc. Quiet, no smell, reduced maintenance. Small segment, but it will help fund the next generation.
Also, I think you will see them in hill climb racing. Good for r&d, and range is low priority.

When comparing the energy density of gasoline to electric, you must also compare the efficiency of the drivetrain. In cars, ICE's are in the 30% efficiency range while EV's are more along the lines of 80%. While you're correct that there is roughly 75kWh of energy in 9 litres of gasoline, factor in the efficiency of an EV and it is equivalent to 24 litres of gasoline.
Nowhere near there yet!
Reading Electrek this morning re Tesla's Pepsi semis - they seem confused why the Pepsi truck will only get 100 mile range while the chip truck will get 425 when both are full ...guess the geniuses don't realize that unless you compress the chips you'll never get close to the equivalent weight per volume of space of the liquid cargo so even when the trailer is completely full of product (chips) it's nowhere near the same load / weight as the cases of liquid ....
Have looked at transitioning marine diesel to ev at least three separate times since 2008 and bottom line is that battery tech still isn't there (real world - not wrt unlimited gov't funded projects).

Would definitely love to have the reliability and reduced sound of electric sled but range & cold are still it's two big hurdles
Taiga's claims are likely similar - would be great to see a full on head to head of ev vs ice sled (similar characteristics - track / rider weight/ snow conditions/ etc.) in the backcountry riding in same conditions to compare "range" - full charge vs full tank. When ev is at 90% or more of comparable range then it's in the park ...

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why does everyone say electric is reliable… clearly there not with the shitty range!

The biggest PLUS for a electric sled in a mtn. Segment is NO power reduction when at elevation.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"2022 Pikes Peak results. Got to love the the internet for accurate info"

You sure do, ICE are even in the same ball park.

"The current record is an astonishing 07:57.148 and was set by Romain Dumas in the all-electric Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak in 2018."

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe for a chute climber, that gets towed or heli'd in, makes a pull or 2 and gets towed home again.

I'd bet the masses with be driving EV pickups long before they adopt EV sleds.

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your correct. I think ICE is in the same ball park 15 seconds .. And to think VW won this with a EV and not cubic cash is insanity.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’ll be awesome when all the hippie revelstoke skinny Jeans wearing man bun having electric promoting do gooders get electric sleds. It will leave all the good snow way back untouched for the real men with balls that didn’t vote liberal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’ll be awesome when all the hippie revelstoke skinny Jeans wearing man bun having electric promoting do gooders get electric sleds. It will leave all the good snow way back untouched for the real men with balls that didn’t vote liberal

DM me next time you're in Revelstoke. I wanna see if you ride as good as you talk.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DM me next time you're in Revelstoke. I wanna see if you ride as good as you talk.

So are you saying you have skinny jeans, a man bun, are a doo gooder, voted for Trudeau or all of the above? Because if you check one box that’s a hard pass……. Lol. Don’t ride Revy very often, twice the distance and the crowds are bad enough up in vale, blue and mcbride let alone Revy. Not much of a fan since they turned it into mini whistler. Went every year until the built RMR. As for riding you’ll get more days in before Christmas than I will all year so I’m hoping your “better”. If I rode 60-80 days a year I’d accept a challenge all day, unfortunately I have to work 3000 hrs a year and don’t just get to play farmer in the summer.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So are you saying you have skinny jeans, a man bun, are a doo gooder, voted for Trudeau or all of the above? Because if you check one box that’s a hard pass……. Lol. Don’t ride Revy very often, twice the distance and the crowds are bad enough up in vale, blue and mcbride let alone Revy. Not much of a fan since they turned it into mini whistler. Went every year until the built RMR. As for riding you’ll get more days in before Christmas than I will all year so I’m hoping your “better”. If I rode 60-80 days a year I’d accept a challenge all day, unfortunately I have to work 3000 hrs a year and don’t just get to play farmer in the summer.

He got you hook line and sinker brotha !
:(

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

3343207138b2dd174a3282df56ca8edb.jpg

Top Bottom