Polaris RZR XC, RZR 1000, Or Maverick xrs or xxc for alberta riding

Ranarampage

Reaction score
So I will be buying a SXS and a atv. I have decided on a Renegade or outlander XTP 1000 for the atv. I Live in Edmonton area

Now for the sxs I am not sure what is best out there for the conditions. I like the new RZR 1000 But i have heard actual track width is 67 inchs My problem is I Want it to go where the quad will go (off course we will pick suitable trails for both and if i can drive the side by side around a different path then the quad so be it.)

Just thought I would ask opinions of people that have used both machines out there (never been on the Alberta trails). I would really hate to buy a machine that doesn't perform (in all conditions light mud), and or gets stuck all the time (standard rzr or the new rzr xc), or overheats (maverick i have heard isn't to much fun because overheating).

So basically if you where buying a sxs which one would you pick??? and where would you use it! I plan on buying bush bumpers, and a half windshield, and a winch to start.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a commander and it goes pretty much every where my quad goes and it I have 5000 km on it now and very few issues! also the new maverick xxc is the same width as the commander but has awesome suspension and 100 hp! Never owned a polaris so cant comment on them!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our rzr 900 goes all the places the quads go.

We have rode with commanders a few times. Neither of us had any issues..

Whatever you decide enjoy your ride..

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
even thou I am a can-am supporter and know the line very well... when it comes to a quad.. yes.. I would go can-am... but for sxs's I think that popo still has the upper hand... the maverick still needs a few years to perfect imo...

Ranarampage

Reaction score
Well I really want that new rzr 1000... I like how it comes with everything i would want But the 67 inch track width worries me about trail riding. Just went to red water today and bruiderhiem to check out the trails and they seem wide enough but I really did wish red water had a better staging area . I have seen brazeudam area and really worried about them getting stolen out there so will avoid that area. Alberta beach area (couldnt find the staging area, and Caroline (caroline i am not sure if you will be able to take a sxs in that area.) All we did was walk down the trail a bit checked them out and left. Bruiderhiem seems like a small area and heavily enforced by police (which could be a good thing as well). We are planing on looking at vega area and Rock mountain house area. Really I want the 1000 because its bad ass, but if you cant use bad ass anywhere that will really be a bad choice. None the less I have heard that there is alot of people putting deposits on the 1000 rzr and no one is saying when you would actually get one which kinda shows you people arent to worried about it i guess. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GTo-5w7slo track width on the rzr 1000

Last edited:

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what I have read on the website the 1000 is the same width as the 900 and I get practically everywhere the quads go with my 900

Ranarampage

Reaction score
the 67 inch width at 10 psi in all tires. video uptop shows it at 16 psi apparently. 66 inch width real track

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We ride around Rocky. No issues with the rzr width.

We had the 800 rzr 50 inches wide. Now the 900. The 900 is actually easier to drive down the trails. The width misses the quad ruts and you can go down the center of the trail.

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so if its actually 66 inches and im supposed to be 64 with my 900 and I have offset wheels that are an inch wider per side I should be the same width, so saying that I ride mostly the rocky mountain / caroline area with no problems though Ive only been 66 wide this year. I carry a chainsaw on most rides but so far I have not ran into issues this year. basically what im trying to get at most trails are wider around here now with sxs being the popular choice these days, and if you do run into tight trails bring a saw

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever you get be sure to try out Hells Half Acre. I hear its the bomb

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so if its actually 66 inches and im supposed to be 64 with my 900 and I have offset wheels that are an inch wider per side I should be the same width, so saying that I ride mostly the rocky mountain / caroline area with no problems though Ive only been 66 wide this year. I carry a chainsaw on most rides but so far I have not ran into issues this year. basically what im trying to get at most trails are wider around here now with sxs being the popular choice these days, and if you do run into tight trails bring a saw

Your correct. We also trim the low branches or fallen trees that hit the roof on the trails..

Ranarampage

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys i will probably end up sticking with the 1000 rzr then! I will probably ride it everywhere but hells half acre until i get some mud tires for them... THEN maybe...

SKEGNSNOW

Reaction score
I would do some more research and watch a few more vids. The XP1K is only a vehicle length over a stock or VERY slightly modded RZR XP 900... You can pick up a non-current XP 900 for around $16,000 and have an extra $5000.00 for mods depending on how they are being priced out in Alberta...

Top Bottom