Polaris Buys Timbersled

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hopefully the kits get cheaper i want one but its hard to justify 5g ontop of a bike

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are they going to make there own bike to? I think I'd go with a manufacturer that doesn't rely on just glue to hold it together....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good? Bad? Indifferent?

There was industry gossip about Polaris building a 30" wide "sled", similar to a hybrid snomo-bike. They really don't have a front end and engine combo to match it IMO (like Yammy would). History suggests building your own motor may not progress well for them? but maybe they are thinking 600, not 800. Acquiring the existing technology for the rear end from an established company like Timbersled makes total sense, no R&D time regardless. Maybe they are just planning to be in the snowbike market with the rear end, pretty hard to compete with that and this would open up more of the market to them as an exclusive supplier. They would be the only one with a snowbike in the line up and manufacturing should drive prices down as their mass production capability would help to lower costs (or maybe there is a great profit to be made in the snowbike market and they want prices to remain the same?).

Lots to speculate on, should be an interesting partnership.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe that new convex track has a patent on it that Polaris would like to use on there sleds...

hopefully they can mass produce the mountain horse for a lot less. I have ridden these things and there a ton of fun. But as noted, 5000 U.S. On top of a bike purchase is a little steep in my opinion

Last edited:

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dosent polaris have some ownership in KTM as well. If they do well that would make a perfect match

VanceM

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My guess is they will treat Timbersled the same as they do Klim and continue to operate it as essentially a standalone business separate from their powersports business except with wider distribution.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man, Polaris is just buy, buy, buy lately.

They bought a chinese go-kart company, pro-armour, the aforementioned klim, and an electric motorcycle company called Brammo.

Here's my prediction. An electric snow-bike, made in china with a fancy front bumper and matching jacket...

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 198
Reactions: LBZ

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't expect lower prices, they got bought because they make money. Polaris will now expect to make more money, through wider distribution network, reduced build cost, etc.

'12 T4. 30" Roctanes.
570 Berg.

Top Bottom