Piston wash / plugs

chrispy

Reaction score
08 summit xp 800r
- slp intake
- mbrp can
- dj clutch kit

Was running stock 480's and decided to check my pistion wash and found not alot of carbon build up, plugs were also black. Changed jets to 470's and now my pistion is completly black with what looks like maybe a pin prick of wash, and plugs are alittle browner but still black around the bottom threads.. What gives?Am i running to lean now? The plugs dont seem to corresspond to the piston wash. Will anything else affect piston wash, to much oil or something? Rode Chappel and Bell then came home and checked wash.Also when i pulled the plugs there was, what looked like calcium build up specks on them , never seen that before.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08 summit xp 800r
- slp intake
- mbrp can
- dj clutch kit

Was running stock 480's and decided to check my pistion wash and found not alot of carbon build up, plugs were also black. Changed jets to 470's and now my pistion is completly black with what looks like maybe a pin prick of wash, and plugs are alittle browner but still black around the bottom threads.. What gives?Am i running to lean now? The plugs dont seem to corresspond to the piston wash. Will anything else affect piston wash, to much oil or something? Rode Chappel and Bell then came home and checked wash.Also when i pulled the plugs there was, what looked like calcium build up specks on them , never seen that before.

just got back from yellowstone. i agree on the funny buildup. had it before i left and did some plug checks and they also have the funny calcium build up. I will post pics later

chrispy

Reaction score
just got back from yellowstone. i agree on the funny buildup. had it before i left and did some plug checks and they also have the funny calcium build up. I will post pics later

that would be good, compare it against my plugs

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the white is just calcium build up from the 2-stroke oil. It can be caused by too much oil, fuel quality or the engines operating period.
it probably isn't as bad as the picture though.

Attachments

• calciumDeposits.jpg
    calciumDeposits.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coolant possibly? The wifes 800 rmk was looking like that kinda grey/white build up. Didn't notice it in the resovoir but it was burning it a bit. Eventually ws probably the caise of my piston skirts getting eaten away causing the engine failure. Luckily I caught it before it got real bad though and only needed pistons.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08 summit xp 800r
- slp intake
- mbrp can
- dj clutch kit

Was running stock 480's and decided to check my pistion wash and found not alot of carbon build up, plugs were also black. Changed jets to 470's and now my pistion is completly black with what looks like maybe a pin prick of wash, and plugs are alittle browner but still black around the bottom threads.. What gives?Am i running to lean now?

Dime size washed off area is considered to be good. It sounds like you may still be a touch rich.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OKay i will try to attach a pic of my plugs. They have about 550kms on them and i have noticed this in the last 300 or so. when i bought the sled the originial plugs had the exact same look to them. okay first pick is showing the build up but the second pic really shows the build up better on both plugs. the plug on the left has the buildup on the centre electrode.

note this is not aluminium

Attachments

• SAM_0767.jpg
    SAM_0767.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 273
  • SAM_0772.jpg
    SAM_0772.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 267

chrispy

Reaction score
My plugs only had one or two small specks on them. Looks like the same specks though.

Last edited:

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OKay i will try to attach a pic of my plugs. They have about 550kms on them and i have noticed this in the last 300 or so. when i bought the sled the originial plugs had the exact same look to them. okay first pick is showing the build up but the second pic really shows the build up better on both plugs. the plug on the left has the buildup on the centre electrode.

that looks like shes running lean:confused:

chrispy

Reaction score
no. fuel washes the top of the piston

I realize that but my pistons are totally covered in carbon with no wash. No wash equals not enough fuel cooling the pistons to wash some of the carbon away which gives the half dime size white spots. Just don't under stand why I had such dramatic results from jetting down one size. I also put on 100 miles and didnt burn down

Last edited:

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone, if possible post pics of good vs bad piston wash ?

Thanks. I have always read plugs by running and checking/chopping. The whole wash thing is new to me, but has me very interested.

Thanks

chrispy

Reaction score
Somewhere in between these 2 is what i have been reading

Attachments

• pistonwash.gif
    pistonwash.gif
    40.1 KB · Views: 256
  • piston wash.gif
    piston wash.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 256
  • sparkplugchart.gif
    sparkplugchart.gif
    78.3 KB · Views: 283

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08 summit xp 800r
- slp intake
- mbrp can
- dj clutch kit

why did you lean out your main? That would explain why your pistons have more carbon build up. you need MORE fuel to control piston cooling and wash. You do NOT want alot of carbon build up on the outer edges of your piston. that can cause excessive heat in your pistons.

Last edited:

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My rzr had similar build up on plugs this summer and kept fouling them im thinking maybe some new additive in the fuel that burns odd donno though.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is said that the slp air intake fools the mass air flow sensor. so maybe the dpm is playing with the fuel trims because there would be more air going in than what it is seeing

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you also have to take into consideration that flat top pistons and domed pistons read differently. I also read somewhere that "rotax" engines use a different type of premix oil. If I remember correctly, BRP specifies to use a low ash oil that was designed to wash away most of the build up of carbon/sludge in order to keep the rave valves functioning. if anything I would use your stock jetting and do a "PROPER" plug chop to determine the jetting at that specific time.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
instead of using slp high flow air intake get the one from brp. they use them on the 600 race sleds. air comes in on top of instrment cluster behind windshield

Top Bottom