Opinions on 08 xp

Turbo_Albertan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.fenrichhomes.ca
Heres my problem. The gf finally wants to get in to sledding, we found a 2008 summit x that she would really like to buy. Now I know of all the issues with the 08 xp and was wondering what updates need to be done to get rid of all of the belt issues etc. Thanks guys just not convinced that an 08 is the sled to buy regardless of a good price

bailer

Reaction score
Hi, i have an '08 and it has been great. My sled is the summit800X 163". I am running stock gears and clutching, except for quick clickers and 18gram pins. (I think stock was 12g).I only have 1200 miles on the sled but they are all mountain.The main issue people will scare you with is clutching. I have never blown a belt and my clutches aren't any hotter than the guys I sled with. I run the 377 belt which seems good.The other big scare is the track. I have the "bad" challenger lite which supposedly trenches and throws lugs.My track has no lugs missing!!! And climbs great with less trenching than my rev151. The only updates done to my sled is the driveshaft changeup at the end of the first season. Biggest problem is it doesn't have the best steering geometry I guess. You can get more feedback through the bars than desired which takes a toll on elbows..All in all a great sled.

Last edited:

greginbragg

Reaction score
I agree with bailer. I have an 08 Summit800X 154" and it has been great. Just make sure that the one you are buying has had the warranty updates - handlebar warmers, clutching, and driveshaft. The new drive belts seem to work well and if you do run into any overheating issues, there are numerous venting options that you can find on this forum to solve your problems.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I to have the 08 XP , with all the updates done, its been and excellent sled, not one problem so far, also all stock except for the vent kits and MBRP can

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the sled plugged into budds system at dealer and it will tell you alot of info about it. Total hours,over heated,over rpm,graph on what rpms sled has been ridden at and so on.
Pull the primary and check components and check seal on crank while your at it.
Had 2008 and never had any trouble with it and was good sled. Never ran stock clutchs so can't comment on that but you have seen and read alot about problems in that area.
If sled is clean and your buying right can't see it being any different than any others out there. Tracks are like tires and change it out if not liked.
As far as the steering it will steer heavier than the newer XP'S ones but i believe all that is needed is a newer steering shaft or the arm lengthened on the 2008 to make it steer the same.
Good luck

Last edited:

sledheadjoe

Reaction score
dont be scared of the 08 summits i have buddies that still have and drive them and work as well as the new ones. i do recomend a oil ring insert and anti sag kit from motts machining and a clutch vent kit otherwise ride them hard

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont be scared of the 08 summits i have buddies that still have and drive them and work as well as the new ones. i do recomend a oil ring insert and anti sag kit from motts machining and a clutch vent kit otherwise ride them hard
What does anti sag kit look like from Motts?Do they have a web site, the old one I had does not work!

Top Bottom