Old 670 reborn

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, most of the Mods are complete on the ol' 99 Summit X 670.

Engine rebuild, back together might get it going tommorow
Skid relocation, moved back 3.5" and down .5", to accommodate the
151"x16"x2" Camoplast Mountain track from Summitric(thanks)
Had to do lots of grinding and made plates and drop brackets for the skid, had to rivot from inside out on most for track clearance.
Just waiting on a 44 tooth gear to wrap it up, I my paint hood black also if have time.

Attachments

• DSCF2914.jpg
    DSCF2914.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF2915.jpg
    DSCF2915.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF2917.jpg
    DSCF2917.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF2916.jpg
    DSCF2916.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 50

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is looking pretty good..... Did you go 740cc??? Or just freshen up the 670? You got pipes, or single still?

Thanks Ric, I just freshened up the 670, .010 over, and still running a single pipe but have been watching ebay for a set, got a set of snow eliminators coming also, not done yet.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks very nice...are you polishing the tunnel?

No polishing, not yet anyway, I need about 4 more hrs in a day to fit that in. Got it running today so now I'm happy, compression was, cold 150lbs and warm was hair over 140 so that's better than the 115-120 it was. My stock pipe is a mess though with a couple cracks and leaking like crazy so try to patch it up untill I find another.

450patch

Reaction score
Well, most of the Mods are complete on the ol' 99 Summit X 670.

Engine rebuild, back together might get it going tommorow
Skid relocation, moved back 3.5" and down .5", to accommodate the
151"x16"x2" Camoplast Mountain track from Summitric(thanks)
Had to do lots of grinding and made plates and drop brackets for the skid, had to rivot from inside out on most for track clearance.
Just waiting on a 44 tooth gear to wrap it up, I my paint hood black also if have time.

Hey. I'm doing a long track on my 98 670 X at the moment. I going with a 153" 3 pitch Maverick with 2 1/4" inch paddles, and 7 tooth Avid drivers. I'm just wondering how much clearance you have, and what you did to gain enough clearance up at the bulkhead? after putting the track in i realized that i have zero clearance, so i'm probably gonna be forced to cut the paddles down a 1/4 to gain minimum clearace. also, it doesn't look like you changed the front skid mount, so i'm assuming that there's enough clearance for a 2" track using the stock mounting hole?

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey. I'm doing a long track on my 98 670 X at the moment. I going with a 153" 3 pitch Maverick with 2 1/4" inch paddles, and 7 tooth Avid drivers. I'm just wondering how much clearance you have, and what you did to gain enough clearance up at the bulkhead? after putting the track in i realized that i have zero clearance, so i'm probably gonna be forced to cut the paddles down a 1/4 to gain minimum clearace. also, it doesn't look like you changed the front skid mount, so i'm assuming that there's enough clearance for a 2" track using the stock mounting hole?

I used 8 tooth drivers at 2.52 pitch and just gave me enough clearance for 2" lugs so not sure about a 3.0 and 7 tooth, as for skid when I put my 144x2 track on it was ok for the 2", I did drop it a little when I moved the skid back for the 151x2. I think you would have to do a drop and roll for 2.25" clearance. Are you planning on gearing down for the longer track? I went to a 44 tooth bottom and drop my clutch clickers 2 postions seems to be reving ok.

450patch

Reaction score
I used 8 tooth drivers at 2.52 pitch and just gave me enough clearance for 2" lugs so not sure about a 3.0 and 7 tooth, as for skid when I put my 144x2 track on it was ok for the 2", I did drop it a little when I moved the skid back for the 151x2. I think you would have to do a drop and roll for 2.25" clearance. Are you planning on gearing down for the longer track? I went to a 44 tooth bottom and drop my clutch clickers 2 postions seems to be reving ok.

ok, yeah cause i did the math and since i changed from 9 tooth 2.52 pitch to 7 tooth 3 pitch, i only gained .270" clearance. so since i'm putting on a track that's 1/2" bigger, i need to chop the track 1/4" to get back to where i started. i don't feel like tackling a drop and roll because i don't wanna hack up my sled too much, so i think chopping the track is the easier way to go. hopefully it doesn't hurt the performance of the track. how much clearance is required at the bulkhead though? because my old track had only about a 1/4" clearance and would rub at times. also for gearing, i was hoping that the reduction that the smaller diameter drivers provided would be good enough, because i read somewhere that with mechanical reverse, gear change is more difficult.

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Why dont you just drop the skid down 2 inches in the front a 3 inches in the back.
That is what we did to my 1997 740 UB and it has lots of clearance and it looks Rad.:awesome_dude::nitro::skidoo:
I will get some pics of it if you would like.?
It has a 151" 15" 2" track on it.

Justin:rolleyes:

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why dont you just drop the skid down 2 inches in the front a 3 inches in the back.
That is what we did to my 1997 740 UB and it has lots of clearance and it looks Rad.:awesome_dude::nitro::skidoo:

Just dropping the skid won't help where the track goes around the drivers, and you don't have 2" to drop anyway, I dropped mine 1/2" and am just above the running board.:beer:

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, yeah cause i did the math and since i changed from 9 tooth 2.52 pitch to 7 tooth 3 pitch, i only gained .270" clearance. so since i'm putting on a track that's 1/2" bigger, i need to chop the track 1/4" to get back to where i started. i don't feel like tackling a drop and roll because i don't wanna hack up my sled too much, so i think chopping the track is the easier way to go. hopefully it doesn't hurt the performance of the track. how much clearance is required at the bulkhead though? because my old track had only about a 1/4" clearance and would rub at times. also for gearing, i was hoping that the reduction that the smaller diameter drivers provided would be good enough, because i read somewhere that with mechanical reverse, gear change is more difficult.

That's a shame taking 1/4" off the track, IMO that would affect the performance as you would be cutting off any fingers and the softest part of the lug. I see my track has rubbed a little up at the bulkhead but there isn't much clearance there. I think I would try to trade or sell that track and buy a 2" instead. Good luck.:beer::beer:

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm a newbie to the track mods but wouldn't that increase the attack angle? Bad? Someone on here told me when you move the skid back keep it the same height, just straight back?

450patch

Reaction score
That's a shame taking 1/4" off the track, IMO that would affect the performance as you would be cutting off any fingers and the softest part of the lug. I see my track has rubbed a little up at the bulkhead but there isn't much clearance there. I think I would try to trade or sell that track and buy a 2" instead. Good luck.:beer::beer:

I considered that, but i don't have a whole lot of options as for tracks that are 3 pitch. i went with a 3 pitch because of the weight savings. compared to my stock 136" 1 3/4 2.52 pitch (with every 3rd window closed) to the 153" 2 1/4 Camoplast Maverick i'm putting on, there is only a differences of 3.5 lbs. Had i put a 151 2.52 pich i would have put somewhere around 10 lbs on. and since every lb of rotating track is equal to seven lbs somewhere else on the sled, it seemed like a no brainer. But i was thinking about cutting the track would hurt its performance but the maverick's tips are designed to bend so they thin as it is. but apparently the tip bending theory actually doesn't work all too well, so i'll be cutting off most of that. so i'm hoping that it'll work out good, plus i only paid 320 for the track so its not a big loss. I told ken at specialty about it and he didn't see it as any kind of issue, he even showed me how they cut lugs on tracks.

Top Bottom