Oil

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im fairly new to boating. Bought my first new to me boat this fall. Has the 350 vortec in it and im wondering what oils are recommended or what you veterans are using.The previous owner was using synthetic 0-40 I believe.

What are you guys using in your v8's and why?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im fairly new to boating. Bought my first new to me boat this fall. Has the 350 vortec in it and im wondering what oils are recommended or what you veterans are using.The previous owner was using synthetic 0-40 I believe.

So it's a 350 vortec fuel injection

Should have a roller cam then, 0-40, 5-40, 5-30 all good, 40 would mabe be better some

U have to watch older engines and the new oils with no zddp ( energy conservation oil) , it will eat a cam and lifters almost right away

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Can't see a reason for 0/40 as not running a boat in cold weather?
Have had a few jet boats and have ran mobile 20/50 100% synthetic in one. No problems .
Ran Rotella 15/40 in another and wouldn't go that way.
Last few years running 20/50 Castrol motor cycle race oil and has been very good .
In your case I would stick to synthetic but up the viscosity . 10/30 or 10/40 ?
Boats are way different than cars or trucks as always under heavy load.
All the new Kodiak marine packages run 5/30 recommended.
LSA supercharged is mobile 1
Just my thoughts

indyguy

Reaction score
Ive been using the Amsoil ZROD 20-50 oil for 2 years now. Really happy with it and cheaper than the Mobil 15/40 that was used before. Im also running a 350. Doesn't burn a whole lot either. Here is a little tidbit I copied and pasted off the Amsoil website. AMSOIL Z-ROD™ Synthetic Motor Oil is specially engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles. It features a high-zinc formulation to prevent wear on flat-tappet camshafts and other critical engine components, along with a proprietary blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors for added protection during long-term storage. Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is designed to perform on the street and protect during storage.
ZRF.jpg

Top Bottom