Oil leak and minor compression loss.

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So on my 2001 RM 250 I have just noticed oil on the floor of my garage and have minor compression loss, it would start but as soon as I give it some throttle it will die. Haven't had time to look into it too much yet, anyone on here have an idea of which seal could be gone. Thanks

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So on my 2001 RM 250 I have just noticed oil on the floor of my garage and have minor compression loss, it would start but as soon as I give it some throttle it will die. Haven't had time to look into it too much yet, anyone on here have an idea of which seal could be gone. Thanks

How have you determined you have a compression loss? Did you do a compression test? An oil leak from the gear oil wouldn't normally lead to a compression loss.

There really isn't many "seals" on the case that would lead to an oil leak either. Have you ensured the oil drain plug is snug? How about the case oil fill plug?

Best way to find your leak is clean off the motor, fire it up and let it warm up, shut it off, put some papertowel down and watch for any drips. Might take awhile, let it sit overnight.

Is the oil right under the case somewhere? What does the oil look like? Really black? Could it be exhaust residue dripping from the header pipe?

A minor compression issue shouldn't lead to the bike dieing.

Your oil leak could be the clutch cover or generator cover gasket.

Last edited:
Top Bottom