would you support OHV driver licensing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
hey guys and gals. i have posted the same topic at another forum and have decided to do it here as well. the response there has been positive. anyway on to it.

would you support OHV driver licensing. the idea behind this is education. probably something like the boat program now.

anyway please post your thoughts as well. positive and negative but please keep it civil, i'm not trying to start a flame war. thanks

adam

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree...nothing too heavy, but something along the lines of the current boat/watercraft program.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
i would think something that you have to take a test to pass. as well for certain offenses you can lose your license, fines. etc... learners permits for kids. with machine limitations to age and size and safety programs. and some of the revenue could be used for enforcement, trail upkeep. there are a number of opportunities.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I agree but licencing doesn't fix stupidity....and I think that what hurts the sport more than anything

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
stupidity wont go away no matter what you do or what we talk about but what would be nice is some accountability. that seems to be what happens on the roads. there is idiots but they have consequences when caught and ways to deal with them if they keep doing it. if it does make them think if even for a second then the job is almost done. i'm not saying it will fix everything. i guess an example would be, do you here about them closing the roads down on long weekends because they know the idiots are out there. do they threaten permanent closures of highways if people dont start driving the speed limit. or lumping every driver into one bad category because 10% drive like morons. i havent heard that yet in regualr life but hear it all the time when talking about ohv's. what's the difference? accountability. your actions decide your outcome.

as well they mandatory education and limitations for kids would help prevent alot of the future problems. they will grow up learning that that is the way it is. you dont drink and drive, you dont wash your quad by going back and forth in a stream ten times. and if you do those things you lose your ability to use your ohv if caught or it costs you more to continue doing it. or you have to do trail maintenence. whatever it may be.

anyway keep em comming.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I voted NO. I can`t support anything the can give the gov`t more money to fight against us. If the gov`t would put the money back into a trail system or some kind of help for the offroaders then I would support it. Just look at McBride right now, we may loose our trial to Renshaw and the gov`t won`t do anything to keep it open. And someone having a lisence won`t give them common sense. Look at most of the drivers on Edmonton`s roads. I drive in the city every day and can`t count the number of times I feel like doing the PIT manuver.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
i am not talking about money to fight against us. i am talking about helping this get in place before they do it anyway and then use the money against us. if we help and have some input etc... this can work for us not against us. the only people that would have to worry about this are the ones getting our areas closed down or restricted already. i have heard as well that they may be quietly looking at this already.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Just look at how much money our government has collected from the boaters that require a license. Now look at how much of that money they put back into our lakes and rec. areas. NONE that I can see but guaranteed the government has a little better control of the sheeple on the water now. I also voted no. I think what we need before a quad license is to form strong groups or organizations that can adopt land or trail systems and charge people for memberships to ride on them and contract out "renta cops" to patrol and enforce the laws. Link fines to registration penalties and publish all offenders publicly. Kind of like our local logging roads.

Reaction score
I have to agree with sumx54. From what we have seen of our gov't they will use the licensing system to punish those that are registered, insured and licensed. The excuses will range from (you) ATV riders have cost the taxpayers a lot of money, so to recoup, fees will go up almost every year until it will be prohibitive to have a license. What I find has been happening lately is that the gov't is driven by people like the Seirra Club, Peta and others like that. In addition the blazing idiots out there who "drive to destroy" are really not helping our cause either. By getting into a training course similar to the Boat course and then giving you a plastic card saying you are now qualified is actually a good idea. However the abuse that would or could come from it would be another stone in the wall that the doomsayers are using to justify closing us down. Safety is paramount but will having another license issued by the gov't be a good idea? Interesting can of worms to open isn't it?

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why educate the kids ??? Educate the dealership so they do not sell a 800cc machine to a first time ridder . Educate the parents as to not let the kids ride and do stupid things. Here is a little Story for you. On the long weekend I was sitting on top of a pipeline hill with some friends having a beer. Well here comes a couple of quaders. The first on a little boy probably around 10 driving a little 80 cc quad. He is wearing a bicycle helmet. He is coming up to a big steep hill to go down and he is slowing down. Next I see hid mom and dad doubling on a big machine no helmets muscle shirts and shorts and sandles. The dad id Yelling at him KEEP going . I was wondering WTF. % min later 2 more quads with some young girls same outfits no helmets just a bouncing. They come to the hill and I hear one scream I'M scared The other yells just use the brakes. It was at this point i had to leave. Did not want to witness an accident.

How about we just liscence STUPID people ??

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Why educate the kids ??? Educate the dealership so they do not sell a 800cc machine to a first time ridder . Educate the parents as to not let the kids ride and do stupid things. Here is a little Story for you. On the long weekend I was sitting on top of a pipeline hill with some friends having a beer. Well here comes a couple of quaders. The first on a little boy probably around 10 driving a little 80 cc quad. He is wearing a bicycle helmet. He is coming up to a big steep hill to go down and he is slowing down. Next I see hid mom and dad doubling on a big machine no helmets muscle shirts and shorts and sandles. The dad id Yelling at him KEEP going . I was wondering WTF. % min later 2 more quads with some young girls same outfits no helmets just a bouncing. They come to the hill and I hear one scream I'M scared The other yells just use the brakes. It was at this point i had to leave. Did not want to witness an accident.

How about we just liscence STUPID people ??

I agree with you on the educating portion.... I've been driving quads since I was 10, yet when I went to work for a surveying company last fall, I was still required to get an ATV Operators permit, the course was simple, and taught the very basics of ATV operation, hills, obstacles, starting, stopping, sidehilling etc. Now there was a young lady in this course who had NEVER operated a quad in her life, she struggled with it, the instructor made her do the exercises a few extra times till she had a good handle on it. This course was on Honda geared machines, so we had the opportunity to gear down on hills etc, most people now think, "It's just like driving a car" but its really not, there is so much more to consider.

The dealerships need to step up and take some initiative, even suggesting that these first timers go and take the course, it was 6 hours one Saturday, and taught me a few maneuvers that I never knew (k turns on hills, J turns on hills). I think its a beneficial course, as for the helmets, I believe that should be LAW, there is NO EXCUSE for not wearing a helmet, tree's hurt the head, as does the ground. Lets not be stupid people, a helmet can save your life, and is completely worth the $100-300 your going to spend on one thats comfortable for you.

At the rally's I like what Garryese said that the Edson Rally does, give raffle tickets to those wearing helmets for a seperate draw, that is a total incentive for people to start wearing helmets, maybe its a bad way to get them to do it, but for me, a helmet is common sense.

This ends my rant.

TG

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
it is kind of sad but without some sort of mandatory licensing or something then it will keep going status quo until we lose all our riding areas. yes it would be nice to only do something for stupid people but who defines that. hopefully it isnt the greenies. we are all stupid in thier eyes. and as people keep pointing out to me, yes i know the regular driver licensing system doesnt fix everything. i drive about 40,000km's a year in the city so i see it daily. but imagine what it would be like without it.

and Tyler. that safety course you did was through work right. how many years did the survey companies just let people go without a course. and probably the only reason that they do it now is because of WCB. basically they have been hit in the pocket book or were threatened too.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Tough question, I have my Moat Licence...does that make me safer on the water behind the wheel of a boat, only if someone is there to enforce it (actually I learned a lot from reading the guide so it is better).
I think the education is good but only responsible people will learn and obey the training.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Tough question, I have my Moat Licence...does that make me safer on the water behind the wheel of a boat, only if someone is there to enforce it (actually I learned a lot from reading the guide so it is better).
I think the education is good but only responsible people will learn and obey the training.

I still have to get my "Moat" licence, but from what I've read its more towards the big waters not really geared towards lakes.

and I agree, responsible people are the only ones who take anything away from any education. whether its drivers ed, boaters ed, or sex ed.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I still have to get my "Moat" licence, but from what I've read its more towards the big waters not really geared towards lakes.

and I agree, responsible people are the only ones who take anything away from any education. whether its drivers ed, boaters ed, or sex ed.

There's no "MOAT" around my castle.Do I still need a license?

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this has been bothering me all day
I now have the answer
Lets liscens Children
One must apply for a permit to reproduce. This way we can hold the parents responsible. When that little Yard ape comes and slices my tires or eggs my house steal my quad or mugs a old man for dope money the parents are responsible and are held acountable. Maybe this will help educate the up and comers and we will have less stupid people out there running it for us. And for any miss doing the kids do the parents share in the punishment . Maybe this could help with the next generation.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't see a licence is going to help, I think you should try licencing stupidity, Those clowns riding without helmets, riding alone, drunk etc. should be paying the price, for rescue, medical, stream repair, etc. I feel all motorized vehicles of any kind, should have a fixed licence plate and full insurance before they are allowed to be driven. Fines should be heavy for offences, should eliminate a lot of problems, with a registration number and a picture or two a lot of this stupidity can be eliminated.

drivers licences won't work unless you pull the dips-it over and ask for a licence #. ya rite, good luck. Maybe this idea should be rethought a little, sounds like another great government idea. Maroons

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to the preferred ATV courses here in the Capital region??

Top Bottom