Next Alberta Premier - Food for Thought

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was just sent to me by the president of the ATV club I belong to...

Brent Hodgson, our AOHVA President, recently attended a question and answer period up in Edmonton hosted by former MLA Doug Horner, who is running for Premier. He was asked numerous questions, but one of the most important to OHV users was whether or not he supported the development of a DAO to manage and maintain recreational trails in the province? (A Delegated Administrative Organization (DAO) is an arms-length, self-funded, legal entity established for the purpose of delivering a service or programs on behalf of the government.)

By which Doug answered that he was in favor of and would support such an organization. This is great news!

So far out of the individuals that are participating in the PC Leadership Race, that have been approached, he is the only one that has given a straight answer, and that he supports the development of a DAO.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully there are alot of public forums so that people can see what is out there for leadership hopefuls. I like the looks of Danielle Smith with the wildrose but I don't think she has the network in place to be the leader in the next election. Besides alot of people were looking at that party because of Stelmach who is probably the worst premier we've ever had IMO.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is this the equivalent of having a lobbyist on OHV's behalf, or is it better than? Just not sure what exactly a DAO would do. What other groups use DAO's????

A example of a DOA is the money for the tire tax. Maybe not the best example but it is still a example.
From what I have heard from the ASA it would be away to collect trail money to be distrubited by a non government organization dedicated to trail development. Problem is the money could be used for many trail types BUT must be able to be accessed by motorized. That is the plan BUT we will wait and see if it does happen that way. How do you get hikers,horsey and ski dudes to give to a dedicated fund? Motorized will be manditory with registration. Rumor is a extra $50.00 ontop of your registration already. Time will tell this DOA needs way more work and co-operation from the trail groups. AOHVA had some issues as well as ASA. LMHO

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone is going to base his vote on which candidate likes his particular obscure hobby?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, zero, considering they haven't done anything.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone is going to base his vote on which candidate likes his particular obscure hobby?

I have no doubt that some will. Cripes, some people base their vote on little more than smile, ethnic background, or fasion sense. However it may be one of the factors that weight in when I make my decision depending on what other issues are on the table. Heck, I'm not even sure that a DAO may even have a positive impact (from our perspective) on OHV land access.

SLAYERMIKE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope Ted Morton doesn't get the leadership, he's the one responsible for all the recent trail closures. A lot of 4x4 guys have bought PC memberships just to vote against him

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ralphie old boy put his support behind Gary Marr today if that makes a difference to anyone.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder if Ralph even knows that he was the premier at one time. Hows he doing with his health issues?? Gary Mar:confused: he came to the last ASA AGM last spring and layed a little political loving on us all...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Ralph even knows that he was the premier at one time. Hows he doing with his health issues?? Gary Mar:confused: he came to the last ASA AGM last spring and layed a little political loving on us all...

I think he is holding his own but doesn't go out in public much anymore. Gary Marr....... good political lovin' or bad political lovin'?

Top Bottom