Newbie to sledding, need opions

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any thoughts on the yamaha apex or rx1. i know they are heavy but i heard that the motors are bulletproof.

The Phazer runs an EFI 500cc twin. Lots of fun to ride as it has characteristics of a dirt bike, sea-doo, snowmobile all in one, but they are underpowered. I have my 11 year old daughter on a short track Phazer...she does great on it. I'd keep your eyes open for an MXZ Renegade with a 137" track...the Rev chassis is comfortable to ride sitting or standing. They work really well for everything you're looking for. Parts are easily accessible and cheap. Too bad, I just sold my '09 with 600 miles on it...would have gladly worked out a swap for your tracks.

cookgio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With 2500 miles on that engine that's good you need a complete rebuild from the bottom up at least 3500 to 4000 K unless you can get it for 2500 bucks stay away

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks, good to know. MY deal for my tatou 4s tracks fell through so i may have to wait until they sell to get a sled. shouldnt be long they. they are sweet and make your atv go anywhere.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can someone please tell me the difference between a yamaha apex, vector and rx1 or are they the same sleds??

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
RX1 are older and heaviest. They don't ride as good as the either the Apex or Vector. Also carbureted. Vector a better ride and also carbureted I believe. Stay away from any modded 4strokes or have a mechanic look at it. Apex is great if your main concern is top end. But if I were you go after a Nytro. I had RX1 and hated it and switched to a Nytro. Got the 2014 viper and best thing Yamaha has ever put on snow. Yamaha's if maintained would outlast any other sled with least amount of maintenance. Also 4-stokes are great riding other than the rear exhaust when you get stuck (expect this to happen often). Avoid the RX1.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rx1 was the 1st 4 stroke. Carborated r1 motor with gear reduction on the output shaft to bring the rpms down into the 8k range. 140hp. The Apex is an updated rx1. I can't remember all the changes but the apex is fuel injected lighter and the stearing post further forward and a longer track. It's 155hp. I'm referring to the mtn version. The vector started out in the rx1 chassis but with a 3 cylinder 1000cc carborated motor rayed at 120ish hp. I think a lot has changed on the vector,but it's a trail sled and I don't pay much attention to those.

Of the trail the apex had got the power to weight of a 700cc 2stroke. Handles good in the powder. On the trail it's tippy and has a lot of ski weight which makes the stearing stiff, unless you give the throttle a blurp to shift the weight. The stiff stearing is really only an issue at low speeds. Other than that is all good. Stupid reliable and durable.

Set from my slave driver

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, great info. answered my questions.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tracks have sold!!! Back in the sled looking game.

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That 700cc POlaris was a good option, 600cc Polaris is lighter more fun to drive and more reliable but little bit lack of power, 800cc Polaris could be a headache there are some problems with crank.
700cc is the best.
I would agree with someone who said that 2008 summit 800XP - the best beginner sled. I have actually spent couple of weeks looking for a similar sled for my wife, here in Calgary. Just remember that after 6 years of driving many of these sleds become a junk. I looked at 3 different sleds, most of them were in 5000-5500 price range. First of all, most of these sleds have rebuild motors, usually its done by not a professional mechanic. I would say - its done just to sell the machine. Another thing I didn't like in these skidoos - suspension in all machines I looked was worn out.
Bad rear susp. means u gonna hurt your back sooner or later after landing when you drive trails. XP has a very powerful engine, that will provoke you driving aggressive. Cheaper to fix susp then your back. To fix rear suspension you will need to buy at least 2 new shocks and 2 new torsion springs (I say at least cuse you will need to rebuild your front susp as well). Check prices it could be easily 2 grands. Adding these 2grands to 5500 already 7500. But you can buy a entire differ sled for these money. So, do I. Yesterday I bought XM 2013 for 7500, hope that was all right decision for my family.

Top Bottom