New to the site, looking for sled!

bluelugnuts

Reaction score
Hey guys, started looking for a sled about 2 months ago and been doing a lot of research. I came across a number of machines that are decent in price, but all fall into years that had some issues. I found a 2008 skidoo summit xp 800 for $4200 with 3200km. This one has a bonz tunnel reinforcement, CAI, rear suspension bracket upgrade, mbrp can, the only flaws that the owner has mentioned are a cracked piece of plastic at the back and a bend in the front bumper. I don't know if the owner has done any of the updates to it.
The second machine is a 2007 summit 800 as well with 1200km and selling for $5000. The machine is mint and had clutch work which I believe fixed the big problem with these machines. It also has high compression heads, CAI, and ice scratchers, and reverse.
The third is a 2006 with 3100km seling for $3500. The owner hasnt had any problems with it. From what I've heard, the 06 is the most trouble free of the 3 machines. I would really appreciate some feedback, so let me know asap.
I would also like to let you know that I have never owned or ridden a sled but have ridden dirt bikes and ATVs for years. My dad used to race sleds and assures me that sledding is way more fun than anything else.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:wavymsn: welcome to the site!! The '08 XP sounds like a really good deal... assuming it is in as good condition as the seller says... I have the '07 800 and it is a good sled NOW, but what a lot of grief at the start!! I've gone thru 2 motors, so now I have an '09 motor and crank in it... happy with it now.... I would suggest that what ever you decide to buy you get a pre-purchase done on it. The inspection usually costs about $100 but it tells you EVERYTHING!! The good, bad and the ugly... so no surprises..... good luck!!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your Dad's right! (We always are! ;)) Wayyyyy more fun than any other motorized sport!

If you're stuck on BRP then I'd go with the '06. The only good year in my opinion. Run away fast from the '07, especially modded. The '08....well, I'm not as familiar with those, but i'd still go with the '06.

rgashkei

Reaction score
I would go with the 06 as well. I have over 3000 miles on mine and still running strong. Just fixed my 07 with 2500 miles on it, crank bearings. In my opinion the Rev chassis is better than the XP in the 08 as well.
You will have a blast and wonder why you didn't get a sled years ago.

bluelugnuts

Reaction score
I just got an email back from the guy with the 08, all recalls have been done and the price is so low because he needs the money to fix his boat for the summer. Should I bring it in to a skidoo shop and get someone to look at it? Would running the VIN number be good enough? or should I trust what the owner says?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the xp chassis is head and shoulders above the rev. an '08 xp with a few updates will handle as nice as a rev and climbing is not even close.

the clutching was not the problem with the '07, it was the crankshaft. if it doesn't have a new motor in it or upgraded bottom end, stay away from it.

the '06 had no issues, but it's still a rev. the biggest difference between the rev and xp is when you hit something and have to repair it. the xp was designed to be modular meaning the parts and pieces are easily changed out even in the event of a bad crash. the rev bent easily and is very expensive and time consuming to repair.

as mentioned, whichever you decide to go with, have it thoroughly checked out by a reputable shop.

bluelugnuts

Reaction score
Hey guys, I ended up buying a 2006 summit 800 today for $4600 and 1900km on it. Looking forward to hitting the snow!

Top Bottom