New to Jet boating

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am new to jet boating, not new to boating we have had boats my whole life. been out with a few buddies over the years on the clearwater and athabasca. Got a deal on a jet boat so I bought it, I am planning on running it mainly on the nsr from Devon. I bought a custom weld storm 21' with a .190 bottom I am told by some people that this is to thin for alberta and some say this is fine. I'm going to put uhmw on it hopefully by the middle of summer. I plan on using it quite a bit for hunting and camping, and just crushing, if there's anyone that needs a tag along on the river one day let me know it would be nice to maybe have someone show me some tricks about river boating so I don't find them the hard way lol. Also my boat doesn't have a stomp grate, should I install one before I use it around here?

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you have to install a stomp grate for sure!!!! I just did mine on sat, I also have a storm and talked to you on another forum. Give me a call at the shop anytime 780-963-0080 Chris.

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who's stomp gate did you order? I found a few different ones online, ill order one this week I have been down by the river checking it out its all broke now and I'm hoping I can try my boat next weekend if the Devon launch is cleared I was down there today and its piled with ice. Haha the thought of bringing my skid steer down there and clearing it crossed my mind

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the river! I agonized for nine years about buying a boat. Wasn't sure what I wanted, etc. In the end I got a great deal on exactly the opposite of what I thought Iwanted . Came to an important conclusion. It doesn't matter WHAT you're on the river with. It matters THAT you're on the river.

I don't have a stomp grate on mine, and could have used one a time or two on the smoky, but wasn't a deal breaker. Its definitely more of a nice to have.

I learned the hard way last season. I think most people do. Best advice I got, is when following the river, stick to the outside edge when the river curves. That's where the water wants to go, and therefore, where its deepest.

The other time saver is two good paddles. Shut down early when coming into shore to save the chance of rocks, and use the paddles to push off from shore also.

Welcome to the funniest hobby I've found yet!

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old man drilled this tid-bit in my head since I was 5 and it has stuck with me ever since...HIGH BANKS MEANS HIGH WATER if your ever in a situation where you need to make a choice go with the side that has higher shore.

Never had a stomp grate on my first boat and could write 10+ stories about jumping in the river with a large flat blade when I never really wanted too. New boat has one....should be able to hit the Atha-B in a day or two!

31413d87035634cc93d192d57af7c895_zpsc49f004e.jpg

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chad, next time you're in the Peace, touch base with me. We can usually wrangle up two or three Eagles to go enjoy the day. Same goes for anyone else that makes their way up! Its more fun with more boats to point and laugh and help push.

Wish we had a strong river boat club. So many boaters up here!

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bet...I'll be racing up there on July 14! Come cheer me on...haha

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who's stomp gate did you order? I found a few different ones online, ill order one this week I have been down by the river checking it out its all broke now and I'm hoping I can try my boat next weekend if the Devon launch is cleared I was down there today and its piled with ice. Haha the thought of bringing my skid steer down there and clearing it crossed my mind

I used a ketchum brand on mine, coach works in nisku has them in stock. let me know if you go down to devon ill meet ya there.

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Called coach works they want 1050 bucks so I bought it online for 660 shipped. Drove past Devon on way to work this morning and launch is plugged solid with ice, yesterday I went for a look and the only launch that you can launch from right now is Laurier park by the zoo, I'm planning on taking it out Sunday for the first trip if you want to come

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots to learn but try to find someone that has put on lots of hrs and boated alot of different areas to ride with you and point out what to watch for and how to read the river.
Your boat's bottom is fine just drive around the rocks and not over them. Your boat is a big boat and if you hit something the plastic isn't going to help. Plastic will help you slide over gravel but stay off the gravel and you are fine.
Remember also plastic is maintance and pricey to install and adds weight to your boat. Weight on a boat is just the same as adding weight to sled as it affects the performance big time.
Also when adding plastic it can effect the way water enters intake and can cause problems.
Couple pointers,
-unload boat and get away from launch as quick as possible when warming up.
-don't keep travelling back and forth past launch while others are trying to unload and load. Waves are a pain in the ass while doing this.
-the current is your brakes so when pulling in to visit always pull in against the current as you have control that way.
-pull in off step and slow as big waves make other boats on shore smash into one and other.
-park a boat length away from buddies so boats can't touch if they move while on shore.
-if river is wide stay to opposite side of river from parked boats so waves don't wash them to bad. If river is narrow and your travelling down stream and want to pull in and visit pull off step and float by until you are past them.
Throttle up then just enough to come into shore with the current against you as you then have control.
-Watch direction on the water when pulling in as sometimes it is a back eddy and water is running the opposite direction of the river.
- don't use reverse unless water is deep as it is very hard on your pump if it is shallow. Water is pushed under boat and gravel and mud is then picked up with the intake and pushed out the back to start the hole proccess all over again.
Just a few things and enjoy your boat as it is the best thing for the family and freinds.

So I am new to jet boating, not new to boating we have had boats my whole life. been out with a few buddies over the years on the clearwater and athabasca. Got a deal on a jet boat so I bought it, I am planning on running it mainly on the nsr from Devon. I bought a custom weld storm 21' with a .190 bottom I am told by some people that this is to thin for alberta and some say this is fine. I'm going to put uhmw on it hopefully by the middle of summer. I plan on using it quite a bit for hunting and camping, and just crushing, if there's anyone that needs a tag along on the river one day let me know it would be nice to maybe have someone show me some tricks about river boating so I don't find them the hard way lol. Also my boat doesn't have a stomp grate, should I install one before I use it around here?

Last edited:

Big Thunder 12

Reaction score
Lots to learn but try to find someone that has put on lots of hrs and boated alot of different areas to ride with you and point out what to watch for and how to read the river.
Your boat's bottom is fine just drive around the rocks and not over them. Your boat is a big boat and if you hit something the plastic isn't going to help. Plastic will help you slide over gravel but stay off the gravel and you are fine.
Remember also plastic is maintance and pricey to install and adds weight to your boat. Weight on a boat is just the same as adding weight to sled as it affects the performance big time.
Also when adding plastic it can effect the way water enters intake and can cause problems.
Couple pointers,
-unload boat and get away from launch as quick as possible when warming up.
-don't keep travelling back and forth past launch while others are trying to unload and load. Waves are a pain in the ass while doing this.
-the current is your brakes so when pulling in to visit always pull in against the current as you have control that way.
-pull in off step and slow as big waves make other boats on shore smash into one and other.
-park a boat length away from buddies so boats can't touch if they move while on shore.
-if river is wide stay to opposite side of river from parked boats so waves don't wash them to bad. If river is narrow and your travelling down stream and want to pull in and visit pull off step and float by until you are past them.
Throttle up then just enough to come into shore with the current against you as you then have control.
-Watch direction on the water when pulling in as sometimes it is a back eddy and water is running the opposite direction of the river.
- don't use reverse unless water is deep as it is very hard on your pump if it is shallow. Water is pushed under boat and gravel and mud is then picked up with the intake and pushed out the back to start the hole proccess all over again.
Just a few things and enjoy your boat as it is the best thing for the family and freinds.

Well put. Especially the part by the launch areas and parking on a beach to visit. That drives me crazy when some jerkoffs do both of these things. And yes, always remember the rule about "high banks = high water". This is almost always true. But there is always an exception to any rule and if you boat long enough, you'll find rocks and gravel bars. If you don't ever find one of these, you're an absolute liar.
:nono::)

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup....if you don't hit bottom every now and then in a Jetboat, you're doing it wrong!

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good advice hopefully don't beach it until I get a winch lol and until the water temp warms up

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The most helpful recovery tools you can carry are a few come alongs, couple two foot crow bars for anchors, lots of rope, hatchet, and two six foot treated 2x4s.

Don't ask me how I know.... Haha

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So from what I'm getting you pound the crow bars into the ground and come along from them? What are the 2x4"s for?

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The most helpful recovery tools you can carry are a few come alongs, couple two foot crow bars for anchors, lots of rope, hatchet, and two six foot treated 2x4s.

Don't ask me how I know.... Haha

So I'm thinking you pound the crow bars into the ground and come along from them? What would you use the 6 foot 2x4's for

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2x4 lumber is used as a pushing/ prying stick. Surprisingly effective. You put them under the rear of the boat and use it to pry/push with.

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a chain saw winch and alot of rope in my boat.
Carry the 2x4,s as well.

Top Bottom