Best way to get into Jet Boating?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what's the best way to get into Jet Boating without dropping $130k to find out?

Live 30min off the north sask, so that is the kind of boating I would probably be doing.

Would like to take the family so mini's are kind of out of the question.

Looking on Kijiji right now is frustrating cause of covid prices.

I was pricing new boats a couple years ago and a guy could get a fairly decent Bratt for $75k, now that price seems to be $100k min.
Even a Kingfisher fastwater x9 is a $120k.

Is finding anything used in the $50k range realistic? And what should I be watching for?

I know sports jets are bad lol.
But cheap.
Maybe buy one and then drop a 2.3 Ecoboost in..........

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find someone to go with to give it a whirl.

Used boats are non existent right now, probably not going to happen this summer, wait until fall or winter and you might find something reasonable. Have one buddy that bought a decent custom weld for $36k this spring, 350, 312 pump, 21 ft, but 12 degree and no uhmw.

You can't really take a sportjet and drop an EcoBoost in. That requires a new pump, which means lots of cutting and welding to make it work. Most guys just sell the boat and buy what they want, cheaper that way.

I'm in the same boat, I've been looking to upgrade the mini for the last 3 years, but I can't bring myself to spend $100k on a new boat, and I'm not paying $75k for a beat up boat that was $65k new 5 years ago.

At this point what I want is a Firefish Piranha 15.5ft with the 250hp Rotax, it was $77k when I priced it last fall, can only imagine what it is now. It would be perfect for us, seats 5, light and runs shallow, cheap on fuel.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there was one sunk in a pool below the rapids from mable lake last week
might be a insurance one coming up soon

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find someone to go with to give it a whirl.

Used boats are non existent right now, probably not going to happen this summer, wait until fall or winter and you might find something reasonable. Have one buddy that bought a decent custom weld for $36k this spring, 350, 312 pump, 21 ft, but 12 degree and no uhmw.

You can't really take a sportjet and drop an EcoBoost in. That requires a new pump, which means lots of cutting and welding to make it work. Most guys just sell the boat and buy what they want, cheaper that way.

I'm in the same boat, I've been looking to upgrade the mini for the last 3 years, but I can't bring myself to spend $100k on a new boat, and I'm not paying $75k for a beat up boat that was $65k new 5 years ago.

At this point what I want is a Firefish Piranha 15.5ft with the 250hp Rotax, it was $77k when I priced it last fall, can only imagine what it is now. It would be perfect for us, seats 5, light and runs shallow, cheap on fuel.
Might do like your buddy if I can and then dump some coin into refurb, and Teflon ect.

My reasoning with these sport jet boats is that they are discontinued. Gonna be a bunch of hulls around soon that you can't get motors for.

At what point will all the covid yolo folk be dumping their purchases they can't use or afford?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might do like your buddy if I can and then dump some coin into refurb, and Teflon ect.

My reasoning with these sport jet boats is that they are discontinued. Gonna be a bunch of hulls around soon that you can't get motors for.

At what point will all the covid yolo folk be dumping their purchases they can't use or afford?

Yeah especially for a first boat. He got a really good setup for what he paid.

You definitely could go sport jet and convert. But I would think you'll be able to get parts for the sportjet for a while yet. I think it would be a cool swap to pull the sportjet and go with a different powerplant, it's something I have been watching for as well, but I'd be going to a Rotax unit, but I'd also do it myself and save the cost. I just haven't seen a boat for sale yet at a price worth considering.

It's something I've thought about too, maybe on the older ones prices will drop. Problem is guys are financing the full $120k on some of these new boats over 15 years, they won't be able to afford to sell them for much less without owing the bank money after the boat is sold. I'm really not sure where the boat market will go, I'm really kicking myself for not building a big boat when I built my mini, I could have had a pretty nice V8 boat for $70k.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3BFD7321-45FA-4A7C-9694-E4A78CEC86D7.png

Contemplating putting this one on the market for $75,000 as I have a second boat.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sport jet will have parts for ten years so they say. Will be parts for years as there’s a ton of them around. You got to be patient and you see a boat you like you got to jump on it ASAP. Not everyone out there is asking to much.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a nice cobra in Idaho for sale for 46usd, I can get you the info if your interested

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get out at a decent price (under 35k) in a sport jet or 350/309 package boat. I have 2 friends that started this year. Doesn’t need the options... use it and figure out what you really want and if you make that boat work, then perfect! I was in a 5000$ tub with a waukeshaw 351 and jacuzzi pump the other day... guy loves the thing and so do the kids.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You
You can get out at a decent price (under 35k) in a sport jet or 350/309 package boat. I have 2 friends that started this year. Doesn’t need the options... use it and figure out what you really want and if you make that boat work, then perfect! I was in a 5000$ tub with a waukeshaw 351 and jacuzzi pump the other day... guy loves the thing and so do the kids.
Wont find a 350 for under 35, kicking myself as I pretty much gave mine away even though I made money on it. Damn I still wish I had that boat

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe the 2 boats my friends found seperately... low hour Eagles from the lake... but they were lucky for sure

Top Bottom