Best way to get into Jet Boating?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was just out at Eagle. There is a green mini out front that woukd look pretty good behind my truck....

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to drive that boat down the brazeau with vice grips when he sent it through the rocks upstream of Heartstone. Ripped the steering wheel off with his chest.
That doesn't sound like fun, but a story that deserves telling I think? Heartstone? I know of heart tree? probably the same place I guess

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We saw him parked on the river bank last summer on the RDR. As we toured up to Dixon dam in the mini. When we came back down stream, He was not there. All of a sudden from no where he comes flying past us that V8 roaring and trim nozzle just shooting a roost. We could not catch him and we were going 65mph.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That doesn't sound like fun, but a story that deserves telling I think? Heartstone? I know of heart tree? probably the same place I guess
Heart stone creek is about 15km upstream from the mouth of the braz. Small creek with a bunch of heart stone rocks hanging from a tree. There is a rock garden upstream of that about 2 km on the left. he came down the rock garden at about 70mph and managed to tag a few big rocks. He got a ride down in a big comfy boat, and I just happened to be the guy everyone pointed at when they asked if someone would drive it down.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Going to hyjack this thread a little.......

What do you guys think about outboard jets? I have been told they take away about 25% of the HP to run them. Would prefer a 4 stroke
Thinking of going this route with a short leg. It will mostly be me and wife

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to hyjack this thread a little.......

What do you guys think about outboard jets? I have been told they take away about 25% of the HP to run them. Would prefer a 4 stroke
Thinking of going this route with a short leg. It will mostly be me and wife

Depends what you want to do with the boat. It’s a cheaper way to get on the river for sure. They don’t go very fast and don’t pack much weight. So if you plan on loading the boat up with people then it’s not you best choice. And would depend on the boat it’s on to. Explorer work very well but are absolute junk quality fix crack in them all the time.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You used to see outboards a lot more on the small flat bottomed muskrats, a lot of them ran real shallow. But they were slow and rough in comparison to most v-hull inboards today.

They're being used on the Solar inflatable boats now too, those things damn near go anywhere, can't dent a boat up if it's inflatable.

Otherwise as has already been said, if you want a boat to cruise the rivers with a bunch of friends, look for something else.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We bought a house in Fort Macleod with the old man river right there. This is why I’m pondering a Jon boat type style with a jet drive outboard and the smaller lakes in the vicinity

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We bought a house in Fort Macleod with the old man river right there. This is why I’m pondering a Jon boat type style with a jet drive outboard and the smaller lakes in the vicinity

Check out Solar jet boats. That’s the blow up ones. Pretty amazing where they go and easy to launch and stabile.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you

Not sure if that’s the kinda of boat you want but guys love the for river fishing and hunting. Cheap ish and good on fuel. Coach works had some full size boats with outboards on them for a decent price.

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what's the best way to get into Jet Boating without dropping $130k to find out?

Live 30min off the north sask, so that is the kind of boating I would probably be doing.

Would like to take the family so mini's are kind of out of the question.

Looking on Kijiji right now is frustrating cause of covid prices.

I was pricing new boats a couple years ago and a guy could get a fairly decent Bratt for $75k, now that price seems to be $100k min.
Even a Kingfisher fastwater x9 is a $120k.

Is finding anything used in the $50k range realistic? And what should I be watching for?

I know sports jets are bad lol.
But cheap.
Maybe buy one and then drop a 2.3 Ecoboost in..........
Good Morn. Get a kit or build your own. I did have run it over 30 years. 112 mph.

Top Bottom