New sleder in Revy

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok me and buddie are looking to go for our first ride of the season but like everyone else we are on the hunt for snow. So the idea came up for riding revy. now both of us are newer to sledding and i am accully new to mountain sledding entirly. Is revy for experienced riders only?? any help will be great cause we are both on new sleds even. Thanks

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First things first...do you have the proper gear and know how to use it? Not being smart...but an avy course would really be beneficial....there is a lot to know about mountian riding and knowing the dangers upfront and being prepared could save your life or someone else's....just sayin...welcome to the sport...

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok me and buddie are looking to go for our first ride of the season but like everyone else we are on the hunt for snow. So the idea came up for riding revy. now both of us are newer to sledding and i am accully new to mountain sledding entirly. Is revy for experienced riders only?? any help will be great cause we are both on new sleds even. Thanks

Im trying to do the same thing lol (but i dont got no wheels). there are parts of revy that you dont have to be expert. You should rent gear and take a avy corse and maybey a tour.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeh i have all the gear and i have taken the online avy course. going to a class course asap. when i have the time and money in hand. Im wondering if a guy thats new to mountains not riding can make it in revy?

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeh i have all the gear and i have taken the online avy course. going to a class course asap. when i have the time and money in hand. Im wondering if a guy thats new to mountains not riding can make it in revy?

its all rider experiance. most likely you will be stuck as soon as you hit the pow :d but you will learn quick.

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score

If I made it in Revy when I was new to the mountains AND to riding I think you'll maker! ;) mind you I had a great crew to teach me :beer:

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we will see... any locals from revy got any input? whats snow like up there?

btw if you maybey find a guy from revy or somone going up the same time its super nice. the first time i went to the mountains i would have had no clue what to do if i wasnt with a expert.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I made it in Revy when I was new to the mountains AND to riding I think you'll maker! ;) mind you I had a great crew to teach me :beer:

Thanks, the only thing is with revy, is that we will need someone to go with. niether of us a the slightest clue about revy's areas.

Anyone going to Revy on the 14th and 15th???

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ill prob be heading up there around that time, i can show you around a bit, itll all depend on the snow really how far we can get but by that time it should be good. i know for a fact im going to golden (silent pass) on the 4th and its a great place for newer riders as well as experienced ppl. pm me if your interested

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you arent riding with someone that has mountain riding experience and you dont know the area....A GPS is a handy tool too along with your avy gear (Shovel, Probe, Beacon, and some gear to get you through the night if need be). Doesnt take much to drop back into a few bowls and lose your bearings. Especially if the fog rolls in.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ill prob be heading up there around that time, i can show you around a bit, itll all depend on the snow really how far we can get but by that time it should be good. i know for a fact im going to golden (silent pass) on the 4th and its a great place for newer riders as well as experienced ppl. pm me if your interested

awesome ill pm you about the revy run. i wont be able to make that revy trip december is swamped for me. i will barly have time to ride the sled at the lake lol

If you arent riding with someone that has mountain riding experience and you dont know the area....A GPS is a handy tool too along with your avy gear (Shovel, Probe, Beacon, and some gear to get you through the night if need be). Doesnt take much to drop back into a few bowls and lose your bearings. Especially if the fog rolls in.

we will have gps i believe but thanks. ill have the nessesary gear without a doubt.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i go i take lots of extra stuff besides shovel,probe,beacon...i also take,lighter,matchs,start up sticks,tissue paper,GPS,batteries,extra gloves,snacks,head flashlight...i try to think of everything that i'll need to make me through the night incase something bad every happened

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are both new to mountain riding, then riding Revy alone might end up in a S&R mission. A simpler plan might be

1) ride Quartz creek. Great place to learn and you wont get lost. Real easy to get lost in all the Revy riding areas.

2) find a couple of guys who know the area and have experience. Let them know you will be getting stuck a lot so you expect to be buying supper and beers.

3) join a club and go on some club rides. The Calgary club is riding Golden the week before. Anyone in Calgary interested in mountain rides are free to come and lots of guys can show you around. The Calgary club has a bunch of rides and they are suitable for all skill levels. Join a club.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a map of the area, ride up to the cabin and follow the tracks from there. since its your first time you won't have to go far from the cabin to have a blast. If there is another group up there go and talk to them as i'm sure most people would not have a problem with you and your buddy joining them.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Revy has lots of safe riding but if you dont know the area it can be spooky and you can get yourself turned around. There is always someone around that can lead the way. I would certainly show you some of it...Milton, Scuba, Sledjed, Np, and others will be there 19-22..but that likely will not help...

mxznitrorider

Reaction score
Thanks, the only thing is with revy, is that we will need someone to go with. niether of us a the slightest clue about revy's areas.

Me and my old man went up there this time last year for the first time, we rode boulder it was great found alot of cool places just have to no ur bearings.. also helps when the first day u go up riding u meet up with a revy search and rescue rider lol he was unreal! lol but revys awesome just pay attention and you should be alright:beer:

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a map of the area, ride up to the cabin and follow the tracks from there. since its your first time you won't have to go far from the cabin to have a blast. If there is another group up there go and talk to them as i'm sure most people would not have a problem with you and your buddy joining them.

maps are useless when you don't know which way is up. It is very easy to get lost in the mountinas. There is a reason why Search and Rescue are out every week in Revy.

As for finding another group, that is a little unfair. I love taking new guys out and know I am going to spend the day digging. I plan my day around that. It affects the gear I bring, the places I go, and my expectations for the day. It is unfair to ask perfect strangers to do that.

Get a guide. It would cost your group a couple of hundred for a day and he can show you around and teach you guys some skills. You can go back the next day to the same hill and practice without worrying about being lost. If your group can afford sleds, the hotel, and the gas, you can afford a guide.

Even if the guide is just a local willing to spend the day with you. Pay him with a very expensive night on the town afterwards. Probably a few guys on here might volunteer. I would if I was going to be there that weekend.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a Snowbunjie. You'll probably get stuck a lot, everyone does at first. The Snowbunjie makes it way easier to pull your buddy out, saving your energy for riding.

Top Bottom