New outer wear

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find in the portly sizes that MF is fairly close to size(1/2 size smaller) and Klim fits 1 to 2 sizes smaller.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear Klim top to bottom and I will be getting my son Klim gear very soon . The warranty is GREAT!!!!! pay a bit now and save latter

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before you buy you're more than welcome to try my full head to toe Motorfist setup, I can meet you in vale or around Kamloops or if you're into kakwa tumbler ridge chetwyn area I go out quite a bit and lend my gear to people to try steady and nobody has been unimpressed yet. I'm 6'2"220-245 depending on my off season so it should all fit but boots are 11's

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mike, I went with TOBE gear last year and really like it. It has very light insulation, and was great for the amount I sweat. I wore it last year on a test run at the farm at -30 with just a base layer, and my hands were cold, but body was nice and warm!!!!! I'm 6'2" 235lbs, and went with the 2XL on the jacket and bibs. I could have went down to the XL, but the length in the arms and legs would have been too short, this also left a nice amount of room for good movement, but not extra floppy. Also with the extra room, if you wear a teck vest or something along those lines you still have lots of movement in the jacket.

All I can say is that when buying your gear, do the research, check all the options, and buy what you like!!! Don't forget to look for something that stands out from the crowd so your not another black dot zipping around on the hill!!!!!

I'm looking into buying new gear for mountain riding. I'm a big guy, 6'3" 300lbs, and sweat a lot, so naturally I run warm, so I don't need the most insulated stuff. It can be pretty cold and I'll still be warm. So what brand/model would you suggest for bibs/jacket. I'm thinking somewhere in the mid to slightly below mid-insulation range.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find in the portly sizes that MF is fairly close to size(1/2 size smaller) and Klim fits 1 to 2 sizes smaller.

Having Dressed Hundreds of people in Motorfist Gear Here are some things that I have learned.
1. Both Big mountain, and the Rekon line ups are eVent, but they fit differently. The Big Mountain is about 1/2 size bigger, especially around the Beer insulation station (stomach) area. If you tend to be overly blessed in that area, the Big Mountain Line up may be the way to go. It's a little stretchier. Not as many vents, but you will feel comfortable when zipping up your bibs and Jacket.
2. Motorfist is Generous in the Arms and Legs but offers Tall and Short sizes for those who need them.
3. Motorfist flat out works. The technology behind the gear does exactly what it's designed to do, so make sure you take advantage of the breathability by layering appropriately, (noooooooo cotton, cotton is bad for sledding, no hoodies or t shirts please)

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I'll try to steer you away from Mike, is the Reima (I think that's how you spell it) bibs.

I bought these because I was looking for bibs in an XL-Tall (already hard to find locally) that went higher up my back and front (most of my height is in my upper torso, I only have a 32" or so inseam).

I wore them +/- 10 outing last season and every time saw my knees and butt get wet. I returned the first pair to Turple Bros and they exchanged them for me no hassle. I only wore the second pair twice and while they were more dry, I was still finding the seat to let more moisture than I want (none) through. I talked to a local rider here who swears by them, in fact he has the same bibs I do, who says he's never once got wet but that's not the case for me. I talked to the girls at Turps again and they contacted the manufacturer for me and the response was that "Gortex materials will lose some of their waterproofing is sitting for a long time" and they suggested I wash and dry them as the tags say and they should be good to go. This was after I was done riding for the season but the girls agreed with me in that it sounded kind of hokey. I will say this, that when they were dry they were quite comfortable and warm (but not too warm).

We'll see what the new season brings, I'll do what Reima suggested but I'm looking into some MF or HMK bibs as well.

:cool:

tollen77

Reaction score
I've had Klim, Motorfist & TOBE gear and the TOBE has been the best for keeping me dry from sweating, etc... All three have kept me dry from snow but the GoreTex especially has been drenched on the inside. On especially cold days the my Klim Valdez jacket has a thick layer of frost built up on the inside of the coat.

I have a theory (keep in mind, this isn't scientifically proven or anything) that for winter sports, as the tiny sweat molecules migrate through the Gore-Tex or e-vent they freeze immediately upon reaching the outside of the surface (or maybe even on the inside) and block the microscopic hole these two fabrics depend on to breathe. TOBE uses a lower tech way of removing interior moisture that I don't believe freezes up like the other ones.

That said, I'm also trying a new jacket this year called Homeschool. It's a snowboarding company but the gear they make appears to be extremely functional and breathable.

http://www.homeschoolsnowboarding.com/

Good luck!

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had Klim, Motorfist & TOBE gear and the TOBE has been the best for keeping me dry from sweating, etc... All three have kept me dry from snow but the GoreTex especially has been drenched on the inside. On especially cold days the my Klim Valdez jacket has a thick layer of frost built up on the inside of the coat.

I have a theory (keep in mind, this isn't scientifically proven or anything) that for winter sports, as the tiny sweat molecules migrate through the Gore-Tex or e-vent they freeze immediately upon reaching the outside of the surface (or maybe even on the inside) and block the microscopic hole these two fabrics depend on to breathe. TOBE uses a lower tech way of removing interior moisture that I don't believe freezes up like the other ones.

That said, I'm also trying a new jacket this year called Homeschool. It's a snowboarding company but the gear they make appears to be extremely functional and breathable.

http://www.homeschoolsnowboarding.com/

Good luck!
I think you have nailed it, though I wouldn't say TOBE uses a lower tech method, it is just a different fabric that expels moisture in a different way. Gore-tex works by allowing water vapour to escape through the fabric, but liquid water can not penetrate. The issue with winter sports is that as soon as water vapour hits the colder fabric, it condenses and often doesn't make its way through the fabric, and you end up with that wet feeling on the inside, but no water is actually coming in from the outside.
The fabric that TOBE uses is Dermizax, is a hydrophilic membrane that actually attracts water, moving it away from your body to release it on the other side, so it doesn't really matter if the the water is in vapour or liquid form. If you look at TOBE gear, it will often appear to be wet (soaked through) from the outside, but that is the way it works. If a goretex fabric starts to look wet from the outside, that is usually where you will get wet.

magnet32

Reaction score
I vote for Klim ! But what ever brand you buy get the whole system , do the layering . Don't think you can go wrong with any of the name brand stuff , just personal preference / color's and design . My Klim bibs and jacket 4yrs old still going strong ,I use the FXR sport wash detergent my stuff still water proof . I liked the fit of HMK pro boa boot but my feet sweat and where always wet , no where near as bad now with Klim boots .

Nonhighwayservice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FXR gear any good? I just wore my Carhartt rain gear last year and it worked alright. But I would like to purchase actual riding gear this year.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FXR gear any good? I just wore my Carhartt rain gear last year and it worked alright. But I would like to purchase actual riding gear this year.
I bought my gf fxr last season only because the Motorfist stuff was all sold out in her size but she's been happy with it, still going to swap for mf this season but anything beats non sled specific gear

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out a new company called Strikt this fall. Excellent materials, quality, and fit. They'll have gear at the sled shows.

Look them up on Facebook, they are giving away a free sled this winter I think. Their website is still under construction.

Really nice moto gear as well.

Nonhighwayservice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New FXR gear arrived today. Standing in my living room fully dressed in new gear, in 28 degree weather, looking like an idiot waiting for snow.

Top Bottom