New outer wear

mikeo2

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying new gear for mountain riding. I'm a big guy, 6'3" 300lbs, and sweat a lot, so naturally I run warm, so I don't need the most insulated stuff. It can be pretty cold and I'll still be warm. So what brand/model would you suggest for bibs/jacket. I'm thinking somewhere in the mid to slightly below mid-insulation range.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm looking into buying new gear for mountain riding. I'm a big guy, 6'3" 300lbs, and sweat a lot, so naturally I run warm, so I don't need the most insulated stuff. It can be pretty cold and I'll still be warm. So what brand/model would you suggest for bibs/jacket. I'm thinking somewhere in the mid to slightly below mid-insulation range.

Togowotee bibs and Valdez jacket from Klim. Uninsulated. Guaranteed to keep you dry! What more doo you want?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best outter wear is only as good as the base layers you are wearing.

The KLIM gear is excellent, go on the website and look at the different options then go to your local vendor and check it out.

Wearing cotton socks, jeans, heavy sweaters and so on isn't going to allow the best gear possible keep the heat and moisture away from your body. The Valdez jacket as Fernie mentioned is an excellent option. I don't like the high bibs and prefer more of a freestyle pant or low cut extreme bib.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am really happy with my Motor Fist jacket

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like the uninsulated gear. Mine is motorfist. With the uninsulated stuff you can wear it cold and warm days and layer up underneath depending on the temperature and you're warm dry all the time. I had insulated bibs and switched. It's less restrictive.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cant lose with motorfist! Im 6'1" and 270, i sweat alottttt and this stuff is great. Stay dry like no other. Just need to wash it with the soap on their site to clean the breathable fabric

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My MotorFist is awesome! I got Recon pants and the side hill jacket. They stay so dry that I don't even dry they out at the end of a day of riding! Go to the sled show and buy last years stuff and its a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mikeo2

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I wish I could attend the sled sho but I believe I'm in Orlando that weekend. Do Klim and motor fit fit small or big? I know some companies advertise a 2xl when in reality it fits like an xl and vice versa with others.

mtncat1

Reaction score
i'm the same size as you, and ride with klim tog bibs and tomahawk jacket I wear a fleece pants and shirt, I was getting a little to warm last year so I am switching to a vented jersey this year ,believe me I feel your pain.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This may not be correct but I was told motor fist is old patent klim gear. Most of the people I ride with have ripped or had zippers break on the motor fist gear. But the warranty is second to none with motor fist. That said my climb pants and boots at 3 yrs old were Giving me wet feet and bum but all replaced on warranty even though I wore them for thousands of km. personally I love the klim gear except there gloves

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2 245 went all motorfist from boots to helmet and every layer and article in between, wear 2xl jacket and its a bit big but perfect when I have my mid layer on, never been happier with a product ever, warranty is great, quality is great, and I loan my gear out steady and every person who's borrowed it has followed suit with the head to toe setup, highly recommend it to everyone and anyone

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear 2xl pants and xl jacket. Not cause of the waist but cause my legs and movability. But my pants are 2012 and my jackets a 2013

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll also vouch for MF gear. I'm 6'3" 250lbs and bought their Sidehiller pullover last season. No insulation so under layers are a must but it's a great riding "jacket" (more or less a waterproof windbreaker on steroids). I bought the 2XL and it fits me perfectly when I have a fleece layer on under it. IMG_1855.jpg

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with uninsulated FXR Mountain gear last year, got it for a great price at the sled show. everything works as advertised, FXR has well thought out stuff with many pockets and zippered vents. can't remember what they call their breathable material, but it works.

mfguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We make tall short and speciality sizes. We (MotorFist) will have something that fits you....no doubt. If I were you I would get uninsulated. Check out the models Rekon, Trophy and Big Mountain styles. Layer correctly with the right midlayers (our Hydrophobic pants and jackets) with the under layer of N2S styles of base layer clothing. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO LAYER CORRECTLY. he will keep you dry form the inside out. here is a link to the new catalog : http://issuu.com/motorfist/docs/2014_motorfist_consumer_catalog

As far as a klim MotorFist difference check this video on the membrane tech. It's already been posted....but here you go again. MotorFist eVent® Fabric - The eVent® Difference - YouTube

eVent fabric that MotorFist uses is patented. GE owns the eVent brand We have the rights to it for the sled market from GE (General Electric for those of you living off the Grid!) It breathes (AKA gets the sweat out) better then anything else you can wear. Others on here can testify to that.

Outside of all that....MotorFist is rider owned and operated. We sell directly into western Canada and the dealers there without a distributor. We think our service is flatly better (I would hope!) because of that. And we dig Canada like fat kid to cool whip.

Last edited:

mfguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ya....and if you need outwear DO NOT forget to get quality boots and gloves. As far as the boots go. Check this dude out that wore the Stomper boots before everyone els did. It's got a hip beat and will sure to make you dance :) We sold the 1990 Dodge pictured here....we sure miss her.

This is the ONLY boot you can replace the sole on in the industry. Running board kill soles.

MotorFist Stomper Boot.mov - YouTube

Last edited:
Top Bottom