New Import charges on e-bay?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any other e-bay shoppers on here?
I haven't bought anything from the states recently but under the shipping
calculator I see there is an import charges line. WTF is that all about?
Anyone know ?

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy ebay all the time, you have to know your prices in order to make it worth while, example, today I recieved set of 4 vented brake rotors and ceramic pads .$119.00 delivered to my door by purolaotor. costs over $500 up here at the auto parts stores., new OEM Polaris belts for my ole 500 s. $9.00 each . bought 4 and $15.00 shipping, cant beat that...

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like it. I can decide right away if I'm buying something or it's too much with those charges known ahead of time.
Import charges have been like a magic 8-ball for me. Some items have charges and others don't. I never know until it gets here.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like it too, nice not to be wondering how much duty your gonna get burned with when it shows up.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's just duty charges, it's nicer top pay them up front for sure. The times you buy and don't pay duty at all just means you may have been dealing with a smaller private seller and not a business in my experience.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge there is no such thing as a duty charge.(between Canada and the U.S)
Don't confuse duty with a brokerage fee.Canada post sometimes charges a brokerage fee
for signing the papers to get a package through customs(depending on the declared value of the package)
I'm not 100% sure but I think canada post just charges something like a $6 flat rate fee on packages with a
value over $100.
Then there is the famous UPS.that charges a brokerage fee that is just some number that they pull out of thin air.
I just don't know anything about this new E-bay Duty B.S that just appeared recently.
I thought maybe someone here might have more info as to what the scoop is.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like it. I can decide right away if I'm buying something or it's too much with those charges known ahead of time.
Import charges have been like a magic 8-ball for me. Some items have charges and others don't. I never know until it gets here.

Agree... I purchase a lot of stuff from ebay.... but the duty charges are a real crap shoot!! I think of the 100+ items that I've purchased from on there I've been charged duty on only 5 items.... luck of the draw????

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What pizzes me off more with E-bay is the raping we take on currency exchange rate through Paypal even using my Mastercard to check out instead of a Paypal account. I just ordered some stuff today and got dinged at .93 CAN per USD when I know for a fact the Canadian dollar is sitting just over .95 right now. :rant:

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What pizzes me off more with E-bay is the raping we take on currency exchange rate through Paypal even using my Mastercard to check out instead of a Paypal account. I just ordered some stuff today and got dinged at .93 CAN per USD when I know for a fact the Canadian dollar is sitting just over .95 right now. :rant:

I think the banks take that extra $.... ya know... they need to line their pockets too for doing the brokering on the money.:rolleyes:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought something on eBay used today. Went to Home Depot turns out I could have got a new one for 5$ more the same day. Definetly know your prices I thought it was a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the banks take that extra $.... ya know... they need to line their pockets too for doing the brokering on the money.:rolleyes:

Nope. It was Paypals conversion. Said that right there on the screen. Paypal used to just send it to Mastercard at USD and let them convert it and bill me. Now their converting it first and skimming the 2 cents per dollar.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought something on eBay used today. Went to Home Depot turns out I could have got a new one for 5$ more the same day. Definetly know your prices I thought it was a good deal.

... and really have to watch the freight charges... my ebay automatically does the US/Can exchange rate so I know before I purchase exactly what the cost is going to be...

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope. It was Paypals conversion. Said that right there on the screen. Paypal used to just send it to Mastercard at USD and let them convert it and bill me. Now their converting it first and skimming the 2 cents per dollar.

hmmmm.... ok..... is that new?

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You only have to pay duty on item made in countries that canada doesn't have a free trade agreement with. If it's made in US, there is no "duty" fee. Just brokerage fees if it's shipped across border.
Living so close to the border now, I have an address I can ship things to in a small border town. It's called "kinek". Save sooooo much on shipping and brokerage fees. Just have to pay taxes when brining back into canada.
The kinek depot will hold packages for 30 days free of charge, and charge a flat rate fee of $5 per package they receive for you. From letters to pallets.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reship.com gives you a us address so you can buy us goods when they do not ship to canada. I have used them 3 times, they also charges 5 dollars a package. Some goods they will not reship.

Top Bottom