new e-tec,worth the coin?

trailblazer

Reaction score
considering an 11 x with the e-tec.knowing they've been around awhile,especially Evinrude's.So what's your best guess that they shouldn't have any "new motor" issues as been the problem of past releases.what's the life of a motor like this,the same as any other two stroke?better or worse?really like it,but don't want to be a guinee pig!!need help deciding?Heared somewhere on the web(so it must be true) that some 600's were starved for oil,then obviously blew up?they must have the bugs worked out by now?(right,please say yes,really want one,but$$$,better not blow)What about rebuild,expensive or the same aprox as 800r,going to a big bore is not as easy i hear,but will take a turbo!!what to do,what to doo?

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They had lots of problems with the Etec marine engines in the first two years, that being said they are impressive engines after the bugs were worked out. I would wait a year or two to see how they do in real life conditions in the sleds, no reason for you to be Doo's R&R dept. at your cost. I hope the E-Tec works out for them I need a second sled for the wife with electric start and the Doo is the front runner right now.

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 evinrude etec 115 never had a problem with it runs strong great on gas and oil i was talking to a mechanic the other day he told me it was the 800r engine with the etec fuel system put on it he doesn,t for see any issues.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will have a summit e tec to test ride on the 28th in golden. From what my boss told me (he was at the BRP sales meeting) the new E tec also requires a lot of break in time.......All that have ridden the new engine are shocked at how good it works.
Four strokes require almost double the displacement and twice the amount of moving parts to make the same power, but weigh way more. They suck unless you throw a turbo on one, then were talking power and fun, but I hope you have a big bag to fill with money to pay for it......

yamadoo

Reaction score
Talk to Ecko Marine in Alberta Beach. They have a demo 800 e-tec.Saw dude at couple of rallys,believe he posted some threads under Alberta beach poker rally bout how it was running. Coming at a hefty price i think, salesman told me was going to be priced around 16 k :eek:

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to Ecko Marine in Alberta Beach. They have a demo 800 e-tec.Saw dude at couple of rallys,believe he posted some threads under Alberta beach poker rally bout how it was running. Coming at a hefty price i think, salesman told me was going to be priced around 16 k :eek:

16K is pretty pricey but I heard the new Cat 800 was 15K+ for some new stickers and old Technology....so really Doo is that far off there price.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to Ski-Doo's website right now you can get an 800 E-Tec Everest with a 146 next fall for $14 199. A Snow Checked Summit X is priced at $14 699 for an E-Tec with a 154. The FreeRide is $16.2K

I wonder why there is no 154 option on the Everest though? It's only when you add the E-Tec on the Everest if you add the 800R P TEK you can choose 154 or 163.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to Ski-Doo's website right now you can get an 800 E-Tec Everest with a 146 next fall for $14 199. A Snow Checked Summit X is priced at $14 699 for an E-Tec with a 154. The FreeRide is $16.2K

I wonder why there is no 154 option on the Everest though? It's only when you add the E-Tec on the Everest if you add the 800R P TEK you can choose 154 or 163.
I'll check my order list at work for you today on that.... Web sites/brochures and order list do not always jive......

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll check my order list at work for you today on that.... Web sites/brochures and order list do not always jive......

spring order sheet says no Everst 800 e tec except in the 154 length
$ 14199 msrp e/s not available.:beer:

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll just give mt $0.02. I have been a Doo die hard - 04,05,07,08,09 800's. Since back went out last year, i checked a 600 Etech X as i thought I would be taking it easier this year with my daughter. Well that didn't happen - have been going harder than ever thanks to this machine.

The chip has just burned out on this thing and I am impressed with the throttle response and torque vs. an 800R. As a frame of reference - we were just out Saturday on a big pow day in Hunters. I had heard that thses things don't get great mileage WOT. Well - we had two in the group that day and we burned a 1/2 tank compared to the 800s that were sucking fumes getting back to the trucks. The best thing is the starting. I must have stuck 4 - 5 times and rolled the sled out every time. Give it a half-hearted pull and starts right up. i don't know about you - but my 07 800R took about 5 minutes of pulling to get it going after a roll. That always seemed to be the most tiring part of the day. Made me hate Cat riders!

Banner here in Vernon has a 800 Etech in a renegade Chassis they were kind enough to let me take out for a couple of hours of trailriding. I am sold just on that. I don't think that it has much more power than a carbed 800R, but it does seem a little stronger on the bottom end (but remember most of my seat time this year has been in a 600). It started and idled as smooth as my 600. Gas mileage was great as well. I didn't get a chance to roll it - but i did lay it on it's side to get out of one stuck, and the engine was just as smooth layed over - no burbles, etc.

Great engine. My 600 is a little light on power for my liking - so I am buying one. Clutches are the ame as 2010 - so I don't see that they won't be dialed. I think they have a winner. And 3 1/2 inches narrower on the front end - finally a Summit designed for off the trail!

Zig Zag

Reaction score
My $ 0.02 for 16300.00 there not enough bang for the buck thats getting pretty close to a stage 1 Nitro turbo price. :beer::d

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My $ 0.02 for 16300.00 there not enough bang for the buck thats getting pretty close to a stage 1 Nitro turbo price. :beer::d

The E-Tech isn't $16 300. The freeride is. You can get into a E-Tech Everest for $14 100.

Zig Zag

Reaction score
So what you can pick up a 10 for around 9500 some places so you get fuel inject for $ 5000.00 more. Have it if you want it all the power to ya or not time will tell with the etech. There is a reason there is a dedicated thread for XPs. I'm sure there will be some bugs to work out.:beer::d:rant:

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's always bugs to be worked out.... They're all pieces of Sh#t in some way or another doesn't matter what the name on the hood is. Another thing that's consistent is the price no matter what the name is... a M8 153" Sno Pro is $14 200 for 2011. Recession inflation is sure a B#+ch!! :p

trailblazer

Reaction score
a good point that's been made is at least in a sled,they've been out for three yrs when the 11's come out.Not a lot of probs with the 600'sthat i can find.not to say,obviously,there haven't been.One positive is they're turbo friendly,but not as easy to big bore,yet.I'm sure once there's a market, a big bore kit will be available.if not already.and as far as e-tec goes,it's not "NEW" really,used for years in Evenrude.So,around 21,000 for a light turbo sled puttin' out say 220 horse?Not bad.

Zig Zag

Reaction score
I have been told by a couple of great sources that they preffer carbs for turbo setups.:)

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
about 30,000Km on the six 600 etecs I have with no problems. cheap on gas and oil. The 800 etec option is 1200.00 so if you ride lots you will pay for that in a couple of years. Just bought a new 09 163X for 9100.00 so can't justify 6000.00 more for a 2011 etec. When skidoo comes out with a turbo option for it I would definitely be interested

trailblazer

Reaction score
ROGER that!The "older" are coming down and it's pretty hard to justify 16,000.Certain advantages,but hardly noticeable and worthy.Thanks,and 30,000,what motor work has been done?That's impressive.

Top Bottom