Needing Advice.

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried getting Gerry on the phone yesterday but he was busy each time I called. Going to try and stop in there on the way into work tonight.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that we live in a "buyers beware" world, but if I sold you a sled and it was obvious that you did not get any service out of it, I would make the call to Gerry, explain the situation, and get the ball rolling!!

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
162Wizzy had no problem calling Gerry for me. He's a good guy and really trying to help. Thanks Wizzy.:beer:

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Taking the sled to Gerry on Saturday. Wont know anymore till they check it over to see what happened.

When I spoke to him he said that the sled was checked over and the oil pump was setup and working.

Randy at RPM said that the pistons he pulled looked like the oil pump was malfunctioning.

If the pistons look the same this time then the pump could not have been funtioning properly in my opinion.

We will see soon enough I guess.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck man...Hope all works out and this little incident doesn't end up costing you another pile of $$$$$$$$.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that sucks man, I would be there when they tear it down, if your not, who knows what problem they could end up "finding". Hope it works out for you in the end. You sure do seem calm about the whole issue I will say considering the circumstances.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
good luck man...hope all works out and this little incident doesn't end up costing you another pile of $$$$$$$$.

ya, good luck..... You'll probably have to authorize the diagnosis and teardown?? And if they find a faulty pump, etc. You may be on the hook for their labour to teardown and inspect???

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here is where it stands so far.

Took the sled to Martin Motorsports today but Gerry wasnt in. Unloaded the sled and had a mechanic come out to see what he thought. Someone had taken the scope for the weekend so he couldnt really check the cylinder walls and pistons but we did do a compression check and one cylinder was 40lbs while the other is 148lbs. Looked at the spark plugs and by the look of them there was no oil getting to the motor at all.

162Wizzy was good enough to send me the work order from when he had the motor set-up and checked over. On the work order it states that the oil pump and throttle cables were set-up. I believe they did the adjustment but did NOT verify if the pump was working.

Ill know more on Monday when Gerry gets back and they can check the motor over better.

Who thinks Martin should be on the hook for this?

What are peoples opinions on deleting the oil pump and running mix?

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stand in your corner!! I believe they should hold some respondsibility, especially if this was the first ride for the motor since the rebuild. I've premixed my oil for years, no problems doing that at all. But for some people it's a pain in the ass and they like the convienence of pour and go. Higgins.

highmark x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that martin's should flip the bill to rebuild motor especially if they were told to check and make sure oil pump was working. you got proof on the work order. Talk to Gerry and see what he comes up with, but be nice about it, unless they refuse to do anything for you then the fight will be on. Been there so i feel for you,good luck. :d:beer::beer::beer:

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here is where it stands so far.

Took the sled to Martin Motorsports today but Gerry wasnt in. Unloaded the sled and had a mechanic come out to see what he thought. Someone had taken the scope for the weekend so he couldnt really check the cylinder walls and pistons but we did do a compression check and one cylinder was 40lbs while the other is 148lbs. Looked at the spark plugs and by the look of them there was no oil getting to the motor at all.

162Wizzy was good enough to send me the work order from when he had the motor set-up and checked over. On the work order it states that the oil pump and throttle cables were set-up. I believe they did the adjustment but did NOT verify if the pump was working.

Ill know more on Monday when Gerry gets back and they can check the motor over better.

Who thinks Martin should be on the hook for this?

What are peoples opinions on deleting the oil pump and running mix?

I can tell you that I know Randay and 162Wizzy and they are both good guys. RPM has rebuilt 3 sled engines for me over the past few years and they have all run flawlessly afterwards. I also know that 162Wizzy made every attempt possible to ensure the engine was rebuilt 110%.....he even went so far as to get Martin to ensure everything was exactly to Bombardier specs before he listed it for sale.
IMO Martin Eq. should step up to the plate and get this problem solved and I am sure that they will do just that, given the opportunity.

Good luck with the fix....

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bad luck been their myself , After the sledd has cooled down try to pull it over because with a 2 stroke engine once it cools down u can pull it freely it's your pistons that are gone. If it doesn't pull over ouch,also a good way to check is pull your plugs & if your white in colour u over heated it. Running oil in your fuel on the first few tanks is a good idea but if the pump is gone it won't make a differance when u start to run straight fuel. I would go back to martin farm and see if they would cover it because the sled should have been check over before they sold it to u. They should at least cover some of it because it's their responsabilty to check the sled before they sell it.
Let me Know what happens.

good luck

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hold up....Martin didnt sell me the sled. I bought the sled from 162Wizzy who had the motor rebuilt at RPM. RPM just did the motor work on the bench and did not do the set-up. 162wizzy installed the motor and took to Martin for the initial set-up and run to be sure it was all perfect.

I dont hold RPM or 162Wizzy responsible for this at all. They both did all they could to be sure the sled was right.

In my opinion it was Martin Motorsports that dropped the ball. I would guess that they probably bled the oil pump and set it to factory specs but failed to verify that it was pumping corectly.

As soon as Martins mechanic pulled the plugs he said there hadnt been any oil getting to the motor.

The sled has been 3 miles sisnce they set it up.

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need help guys.

Talked to Gerry today at Martin Motorsports and he says that it looks like the piston clearance may have been to tight. On Saturday when I dropped the sled off one of his mechanics pulled the plugs out and said it looked like the sled wwasnt getting oil. Gerry says that isnt possible because it would have taken out both cylinders and the crank, not just one piston.

I really dont know piss all about 2stroke motors so I need to know from all of you what you think.

On the work request that 162Wizzy did it asks for them to adjust and set-up the oil pump. Gerry says all they did was run it wide open to bleed it and set it to normal. Does this varify that it is working properly?

Gerry also said that the piston clearance for the Wiseco pistons is different that with OEM pistons so RPM may have set the clearance to tight? Ill give Randy a call tomorrow and chat with him.

Right now I dont trust Martin Motorsports as the mechanic said one thing and Gerry is saying different. Thinking I should take it elsewhere to be fixed.

Top Bottom