need help with buying a sled

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there both brand new 0 mile units and both come from different venders on this site. and both are 162 inch tracks
im looking at a 2007 m1000 with reverse efi for around 8,000
the other is a 2011 m8 snow pro not sure if it has reverse forgot to ask for around 10,000
im 6 foot tall and weigh aprox 250lbs. i ride a decent mix of mountains and edmonton ditch banging just trying to decided which is the better sled and if its worth it to spend the extra cash
please let me know what you think and why...if there was a skidoo for this price i'd buy it so please no brand bashin

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll have SOOOOOOOOOO much more fun on the M8 in my opinion. That M8 will do everything you want and not weigh as much as the M1000. Newer Technology, lighter, very reliable... Have fun!

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sry but a new 2013 skidoo with at least a 800 is 13300 a lot more then im looking to spend

a mx-z 550cc for 9000 would be lucky to get me on the trail let alown into the mountains lol

thanks for info momma:)

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M8
From what i know (which is very little) about the 07 M1000's , they are quite tempermental (sp?)
If u have the extra cash and r sold on Cat.... M8 hands dow

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there both brand new 0 mile units and both come from different venders on this site. and both are 162 inch tracks
im looking at a 2007 m1000 with reverse efi for around 8,000
the other is a 2011 m8 snow pro not sure if it has reverse forgot to ask for around 10,000
im 6 foot tall and weigh aprox 250lbs. i ride a decent mix of mountains and edmonton ditch banging just trying to decided which is the better sled and if its worth it to spend the extra cash
please let me know what you think and why...if there was a skidoo for this price i'd buy it so please no brand bashin

Both great sleds, here is how i would look at it: The M10 is a 6yr old sled...regardless of the miles it is outdated and I just sold my 11' PRO for the same price as the M10 Out of the two options I would say the M10 is the better deal, but they are both high priced. As for suitability neither sled is good for ditch banging as they are both mountain sleds. You could pick your self up a used Assualt CFI 4 for $5k or a 2011 Pro Assualt for 8K and it might be better suited for playin in the ditches and taking to the mountains. If I had to decide between the 2 I would take the M8, demand warranty, and get it for 9K tax in

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with the m8 to. But there is nothing wrong with a 1000! The 1000's take a bit of tinkering to get them to run the way they should. If you get the 1000 my brother has a set of Jaws twins with a boondocker box that he would sell for cheap! Probably around the $500 mark and those would put a smile on your face!

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You want real run, I have a 2010 Eteck 163 full load (sratchers,gas can, can,clickers, riser bar, electric bag,froggers), in the price range of the ones your looking at. P.M. me if your interested.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sry but a new 2013 skidoo with at least a 800 is 13300 a lot more then im looking to spend

a mx-z 550cc for 9000 would be lucky to get me on the trail let alown into the mountains lol

thanks for info momma:)

Just saying.

Link just takes you to the 600 146. Configure it to be a 800 154, and its below $10,000.

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 2010 etec Summit? Interesting...

Of my limited Cat knowledge I would go with the newer 800. I put some miles on the same sled two winters ago. It was a decent sled. Almost looked into moving onto one. Well not almost. I had one or two thoughts about it.

I agree though. Newer sled. Newer technology. Proven motor.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that I work for a Cat and Polaris Dealer, I ride a Pro, had M8s.. but I honestly have nothing against a Doo... Total respect for their new chassis and all they are doing to contribute to the sport.
I do however, feel a certain annoyance, repulsion developing when a thread is started, be it in the Polaris section, the Cat section or in the open forum pertaining to a brand other than Doo, and the Doo Crew has to jump in and make you feel like crap or an idiot because you are not drinking the Blu Doolaide.. please let people enjoy what they want, and stop ramming Doo down the throats of people who simply are enjoying another brand. We all need to be strong in the industry for it to thrive. Interdependence and respect will make all the brands strong, and build our sport. What happens to one, will eventually happen to another.

Said with Love not Beyotchyness... :)

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that I work for a Cat and Polaris Dealer, I ride a Pro, had M8s.. but I honestly have nothing against a Doo... Total respect for their new chassis and all they are doing to contribute to the sport.
I do however, feel a certain annoyance, repulsion developing when a thread is started, be it in the Polaris section, the Cat section or in the open forum pertaining to a brand other than Doo, and the Doo Crew has to jump in and make you feel like crap or an idiot because you are not drinking the Blu Doolaide.. please let people enjoy what they want, and stop ramming Doo down the throats of people who simply are enjoying another brand. We all need to be strong in the industry for it to thrive. Interdependence and respect will make all the brands strong, and build our sport. What happens to one, will eventually happen to another.

Said with Love not Beyotchyness... :)

Not trying to be a prick at all. All the manufacturers have good points and bad points.
The original poster did say that he was not against the idea of riding a doo. I simply let him know that he could pick up a 2013 doo for his price range.

Sorry for offending everyone.

Adios.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be a prick at all. All the manufacturers have good points and bad points.
The original poster did say that he was not against the idea of riding a doo. I simply let him know that he could pick up a 2013 doo for his price range.

Sorry for offending everyone.

Adios.

Not offended by you Underdog, just food for thought.. I was going through the Polaris section last night trying to get some ideas, and to learn.. This thread just kind of sparked something..

Love you guys and respect you and your doos.

and I love Poo! :)

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the M8 for sure. Be ready to get an azz kicking goin up a bumby trail but it all pays off when you start playing. I hate the trailability on a whooped out trail, ditch bangin's not too bad boodocking is awesome! My M8 goes everywhere my buddies 163 Etec goes just not quite as fast. You can't beat the deep snow ability of the XP stock for stock.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Between the two you mentioned, M8 all the way IMO. The 1000 doesn't seem as reliable...but ask the mechanics who work on them, they can probably give you input on the differences.

You can ditch bang an M8 if need be...and it's a great mountain sled. The newer the technology you can get, the better...no matter which brand you chose. :)

Terry at T&T has some screaming deals on non-current M8's right now too...maybe worth giving him a shout, they seem a better deal than what you're looking at IMO.

Top Bottom