thinkin about buying a gps unit but need help

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tried to see if someone else had posted this kind of question but the search engine on this site is useless.
anyway im thinking about buying a gps unit for the upcomming sledding season and i have no idea what i should buy. which brand, or how much i should spend. the only thing that i do know is i want a unit that is able to track the path ive gone for that day so i can easely find my way back...im sure they all do that but like i said earlyer i know almost nothing about these things

so which units do you all sugest that has the best bang for the buck, and hopefully simple to use
thanks in advance

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'd stick with the garmin gps, ihave 3 of the rino's, like the radio and gps feature combined, but any of the hand held garmin gps wil work for what you want. let your pocket book decide,

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree on the Rino. GPS + GMRS radio + you can see your buddies locations if they have Rino's also.

Team the rino up with topo maps and the backcountry mapbook - works really well. If you can get down to the US, you can pick up a 5 watt version. Canadian models are only 2watt.

There's also a full section here dedicated to GPS - should be more info there.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check this site out hands down garmins are the best. I have been using garmins for just over 10 years now for work. I wouldn't have any other brand. Thats not saying that the others are garbage i just know that garmins stand the test of time. I currently use the 62s and its awesome and its a decent price. if you can and are willing to spend the cash, the Rhino would be great purchase. GPS Central.ca - Garmin GPS, Magellan GPS, Lowrance GPS, Ashtech GIS - Hiking, On Water, Geocaching, ATV, Snowmobile, Outdoor GPS, Survey GPS

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rino and get the US version as 5 watts.
As has been said buy the topo Canada for computer so you can save and store tracks and also show in google earth the track.
A lot of other thinks you can do also .
There are places to buy the US version in Canada .
PM me if you need info as they are the same price .
Also buy Garmin.
I have had lots of units and have 4 differ ent models now and for sleds I like the Rino.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well seems like a unanamous decision to get the garmin rino
everyone seems to be saying to get the us version because of the extra 3 watts...whats that mean whats the difference.
are you guys saying the rino is also a walky-talky, if i bought 2 i could comunicate with the wife?
what price sould i be looking at per unit?

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The extra 3 watts gives you more range. The CTRC has ruled that the 5 watt unit is illegal in Canada. Yes the Rino is a walkie talkie and will also show you the last location you communicated with her. I think I paid $530 at Wholesale Sports about 3 years ago.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sold my garmin rino and i am glad i did, i have a way better gps now.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
getting the unit is a great start, knowing how to use it is way more important. Take the time to figure out how to use it before heading into the back country Mallard. You'll be glad you did.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Magellan 610 from canadiantire for about 300 bucks on sale, camera to. World maps and topo canada preinstalled, high def subscriptions can be purchased. Maybe one day cell phones will have full coverage.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Magellan 610 from canadiantire for about 300 bucks on sale, camera to. World maps and topo canada preinstalled, high def subscriptions can be purchased. Maybe one day cell phones will have full coverage.
a stand alone gps unit is probably gonna be better then a unit thats a walky talky as well. so heres another question am i better off buying a stand alone gps and a set of high quality radios or going with 2 units like the garmin 650 or 655's that are able to tell you where the other people that you are talking too are. i have a bad habit of heading off into the trees and getting stuck in a tree well. the last time it took my group almost an hour to find me. a couple of units like the 650/655 would go a long way towards allievating that problem

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like i said earlier about the cell phones, but that is a ways off. Rhinos only work with rhinos so your going to have to buy at least two expensive buggers, lots of people like them, radios are ok, battery life is questionable, range in ravines... well. A 300 dollar snowmobile jack works awesome, the 200 dollar one is ....

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about going with the inReach SE and an iPhone as a GPS. Safety, security and I already have the phone. Not to mention with the GoPro app I can control and view the GoPro (save batt over the LCD screen). I can buy two way radios for well under $100. I had thought about the Rino previously but as someone mentioned earlier unless others in your group have one the best feature of being able to locate them doesn't work.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Like i said earlier about the cell phones, but that is a ways off. Rhinos only work with rhinos so your going to have to buy at least two expensive buggers, lots of people like them, radios are ok, battery life is questionable, range in ravines... well. A 300 dollar snowmobile jack works awesome, the 200 dollar one is ....

You don't have to buy 2 expensive ones. The 110 and 120 (I think are the model numbers) are quite a bit cheaper and will locate your buddies. Look 'em up on the website.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 655 5 watt might not be a battery eater slouch like my 120 was. That is why i said buy two expensive units.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did a camping trip with a couple of buddies that had their 655t's with them as well. we left Onoway and travelled to the shuswaps and talked all the way down while driving as well as when in the boat on the lake, then travelled to Osoyoose for another 4 days of camping/boating then the drive back. My entire trip on one charge and the radio was at 35% when I got home.
they're not cheap, but IMO you really do get what you pay for in this case.

Top Bottom