My kid needs a ride

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Hey all my 14 year old son has decided he wants to get a bike. He's got very limited experience on 2 wheels, so I'm not sure as to what to get. I'm kinda thinking something like a crf150r myself, or a cr85 but he'll outgrow that within a year depending on how much he rides.

Any suggestions? He's about 5'6" and around 135 lbs. Looking for used but anything in his price range on kijiji right now seems a bit sketchy. Looking to spend up to 1500 perhaps

eattheweak

Reaction score
5'6" 135 look for a 125 mx, nice and light good handling, lotz of power for someone new, me I a two stroker. Seat hieght and weight would be where start looking at. A 80 if he like it he will be out riding it very fast, 150 depends on how strong he is, but a forgiving 4 stroker. My two cents

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a few choices, but the price range limits what you can find.

Older 125 2-strokes for $1500 can be had easily. Shave the seat for a little height adjustment given he has limited experience and its nice to throw a foot down when learning.

A crf150 is a nice bike in a big wheel, the small wheel is quite small. The power is very useable.

Personally, I would look for an older XR200. They are bulletproof. Or a KDX200 and you can usually find an older one in great shape for under $2000. Usually any bike you buy you will get you money back on in the same year if he outgrows it.

This time of year guys will sit on their bikes as they know people aren't looking to buy. You could find a good deal, chances are in the spring is when you will get your good deal. By summer bikes are marked up again for sale just like sleds are right now.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...es-motocross-1993-Honda-XR-W0QQAdIdZ234601101

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Foolish me I didn't even consider the enduro lineup, when I got a xr400 parked in the shed myself. a 200cc 4 stroker may just be right for him, although I think he wants to get into a competition style mx chassis. Not everyone can have exactly what they want for a first bike tho.

confused?

Reaction score
i am almost 15 lookin for my first bike and about 5'10'' i was leaning for a ttr230 there good for track and trail i got a good deal and have ridin a few cr125s and pw50s plus i am a natral athlete so ya u might wanna go 200cc 4stroke

KLX140

Reaction score
For a kid or lady or ANY begginer, NOTHING beats a KLX100/140. Go big OR small wheel on either. VERY easy to learn on, with nice upgrades like disc brakes, frame, and semi-auto clutch (has a smaller front plate so you use it like a regular clutch, but it makes is alot harder to stall) plus that magic button. Cant say enough, I learned on the 140 and LOVED it. TTR is another nice option!

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the CRF150R, a 14 year old kid will too quickly outgrow a KLX140. I love my CRF150R, but what your son needs is more like a CRF250R, or if you wanna go 2 stroke, check out a 125 cc.

Anyways, IMO..avoid trail bikes, TTRs, KLXs, and the rest.. a 14 year old boy, will no doubt, need a bike that he can grow into, and eventually bag the hell out of. Trail bikes are good starters, but they lack power and their heavy. But really to each their own, I just love the jam and lightweight of an MX bike. I can ride track and trails no probs..
I started on a trail bike, a TTR 125..which is similar to the KLX140...and I outgrew it, figuratively speaking, in a few months. I'm a tiny girl, and still I was needing a bike with more jam.

Good luck with the bike hunt.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Like the CRF150R, a 14 year old kid will too quickly outgrow a KLX140. I love my CRF150R, but what your son needs is more like a CRF250R, or if you wanna go 2 stroke, check out a 125 cc.

Anyways, IMO..avoid trail bikes, TTRs, KLXs, and the rest.. a 14 year old boy, will no doubt, need a bike that he can grow into, and eventually bag the hell out of. Trail bikes are good starters, but they lack power and their heavy. But really to each their own, I just love the jam and lightweight of an MX bike. I can ride track and trails no probs..
I started on a trail bike, a TTR 125..which is similar to the KLX140...and I outgrew it, figuratively speaking, in a few months. I'm a tiny girl, and still I was needing a bike with more jam.

Good luck with the bike hunt.

I hear ya on the mx part. Quite often I find riding my xr that if i get into trouble usually I end up grubbing out, whereas riding my bros cr250 it's go hard retard and what I found to be challenging before is a piece if cake on an mx. But if he learns to ride on a heavy poorly designed trail bike and push it hard, perhaps it will make him a better rider in the end. I ride my old xl500 every now and then just to appreciate the advances of newer technology. 2 decades makes a huge difference.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
u could let him try the 400 and get a crf450x for yourself:d

I have let him ride it around the yard. Told him if he could start it he could ride it. Shocked me when he actually started it cause I've seen grown men not start it. The boy is a bit short in the landing gear tho cause he's almost dropped it on himself. can't restart it when the engine is hot either.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 400is a handfull to pick up for sure i had a XR650 and it was a heavy pig. what about a crf230 the newer version of a xr200 only hs electric start i would say a 250x but if he to short for the 400 its about the same height

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Heavy yes they are. It was funny to watch the first time he rode it. Went about 10 ft and stalled it. Everything he had to keep it from falling on him. Bike weighs twice as much as he did at the time. I think I actually had to run over and grab hold so it didn't fall on him.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like my cousion when he was 11 his dad said if he could start the XR500 he could ride it so we were at the lake and we pushed it over to the picnic table so he could get on it got it statred and away he went when he wanted to stop he had to find a stomp or something high enough. next trip out he had a xr250 the seat had to be trimed down and he still had issuse touching but as long as he was moving he could go anywhere he wanted.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
What about the ktm world. Found a sx 105. Don't know much about ktm but they intrigue me as being a good ride. I'm not necessarily brand loyal, even tho I got a preference for red or blue. Orange might be kewl.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if a 105 would be big enough? if u want a mx i would say 125 or a 144 ktm IMO, i was kinda in the same postion in spet my son decied he want a bike and no longer a quad so he fit the crf50 perfect but i knew he would out grew it quick so he got a crf70 insteed well it is to tall just cut some of the foam out of the seat put the cover back on and good to go.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a KTM 105, its a tad smaller than the CRF150R so I'd say that's definitely too small for him. Like mentioned, if your wanting to go lightweight, 2 or 4 stroke MX bike, your going to have to look at 125s/144's/150's, or 250 4 strokes...just sayin.

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a nephew that is still growing.... my god it is expensive! I bought him his first bike(cr80) and all the gear and every year he needs something new due to growth. Well this year everything I buy for him will be a size larger...Minus the helmet. As far as bikes, there isn't many options for you unless you look at trail bikes. I think a 125 mx is in order. You can shave the seat or lower the bike.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get your kid a 2000-2001 honda CR 125. these bike a actuly SUPER relyable! I had mine for 2 years and it didnt even foul a plug! I was 5'4 when i first got mine.

Top Bottom